Canucks @ Blues 5PM SNET-P, FS-SW

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks @ Blues 5PM SNET-P, FS-SW

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:
And why do our defenceman suck so badly when pressured? Why does our breakout look so scrambled?

;)
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:Out shot 36-22.

But we matched them physically......

Only one or two real scoring chances through nearly the first 30 minutes.

But we gave as good as we got.....

It's like watching the 2007-2008 teams again. We just aren't hearing from AV about a lack of bounces and puck luck.....yet. (No I'm not pinning this on AV).

I'll sure be glad when we show some emotion and match opponent's physically but lose by a goal in the playoffs after getting out shot and out chanced by a wide margin. At least we will have given as good as we got. Frig.

And why do our defenceman suck so badly when pressured? Why does our breakout look so scrambled?
I dunno Mëds, I appreciate the effort in your posts lately, but I gotta say your taking these last few losses a little hard if you ask me. I mean sure they ain't dominating like a dynastic contender would right now, but in the new nHL all it takes is a decent goalie (got two) a little timing (Kesler, Higgins, Tanev, Booth) and a pile of luck.... :( ...( okay we never get much of that)
But you never know, that's why they play the games...

Oh and fuck the shoot out, I hate Gary Bettman...
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Mëds wrote:..... ... ...
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:Out shot 36-22.

But we matched them physically......

Only one or two real scoring chances through nearly the first 30 minutes.

But we gave as good as we got.....

It's like watching the 2007-2008 teams again. We just aren't hearing from AV about a lack of bounces and puck luck.....yet. (No I'm not pinning this on AV).

I'll sure be glad when we show some emotion and match opponent's physically but lose by a goal in the playoffs after getting out shot and out chanced by a wide margin. At least we will have given as good as we got. Frig.

I dunno Mëds, I appreciate the effort in your posts lately, but I gotta say your taking these last few losses a little hard if you ask me. I mean sure they ain't dominating like a dynastic contender would right now, but in the new nHL all it takes is a decent goalie (got two) a little timing (Kesler, Higgins, Tanev, Booth) and a pile of luck.... :( ...( okay we never get much of that)
But you never know, that's why they play the games...

Oh and fuck the shoot out, I hate Gary Bettman...
If this waste beginning of the year, and we were losing these games but putting in the effort, well ok, I'll deal with it. But we are 2 weeks until the playoffs and this team still can't find ways to capitalize. Yes, at least the effort is looking like its there. And if we had gotten 20 shots through on Elliot, who imo didn't look good at all btw, then so be it. But I would be surprised if we even took 40-45 shots. I didn't get the impression that we made the Blues block too many quality chances.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Mëds wrote:

;)
Oh right....

:P
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Two weeks till playoffs....

Two weeks till the playoffs!!! Awesome :)

I think your reading too much into the last couple of losses
This is a veteran squad, I don't think they are front runner contenders but then they were the last two seasons and that seemed to work against them.

Realistically they have juice to survive first round and its those two home games next week against Chicago and Anaheim that are going to be somewhat interesting ...
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Did anyone see Backes teasing Kassian about his receding hairline when they were yapping at each other in the penalty box? I wonder what Kelly thinks. ;)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Jovocop wrote:Did anyone see Backes teasing Kassian about his receding hairline when they were yapping at each other in the penalty box? I wonder what Kelly thinks. ;)
I would've prefered to see big Zack come out of the box and scrap Backes. All that bitch-like whining across the penalty boxes will dry up quick if Zack feeds him a few fists. Even if he loses it still takes a guy off the ice who was running around against us. That is his role and that is what he hasn't started doing enough in my opinion. Adding Ryan Clowe would've been huge for his development.
Goals aren't the #1 goal for a player like this.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Jovocop wrote:Did anyone see Backes teasing Kassian about his receding hairline when they were yapping at each other in the penalty box? I wonder what Kelly thinks. ;)
I would've prefered to see big Zack come out of the box and scrap Backes. All that bitch-like whining across the penalty boxes will dry up quick if Zack feeds him a few fists. Even if he loses it still takes a guy off the ice who was running around against us. That is his role and that is what he hasn't started doing enough in my opinion. Adding Ryan Clowe would've been huge for his development.
Goals aren't the #1 goal for a player like this.
I was thinking about Clowe as well. He would be a perfect fit for the top six. Instead of choosing a contender, he chose long term money. It would be funny if the Rangers missed the playoffs. A guy like Clowe will keep guys like Perron and Backes quiet.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The bottom line is, Zack Kassian will never put the scare in guys like how Clowe and Lucic can. So, in the meantime, teams will continue to have their way with this line-up and the Sedins. I would love to see Gillis take a run at Clarkson this off-season but I think he wants to go back home to Ontario. I would love to somehow snag Tom Wilson out of the Capitals system but after letting go Filip Forsberg, I don't see that happening.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Why is it some of us want to turn Kassian into nothing but a 4th line goon to silence some yappy bastards on the other team. the kid has skill and great hands according to reports. Let him develop into a skilled power forward which has always been the plan MG/AV had for him.

If all you want is a meat sack with iron hands frackin pick one up in the off season. They run and league minimum and play 3 min a night.

Or trade for Torres and hunt some heads.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

wafflecombine wrote:Why is it some of us want to turn Kassian into nothing but a 4th line goon to silence some yappy bastards on the other team. the kid has skill and great hands according to reports. Let him develop into a skilled power forward which has always been the plan MG/AV had for him.

If all you want is a meat sack with iron hands frackin pick one up in the off season. They run and league minimum and play 3 min a night.

The same people that predicted the Sedins, Kesler and Hodgeson were busts :D

Oh it's true!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

wafflecombine wrote:Why is it some of us want to turn Kassian into nothing but a 4th line goon to silence some yappy bastards on the other team. the kid has skill and great hands according to reports. Let him develop into a skilled power forward which has always been the plan MG/AV had for him.

Hopefully I'm not being painted with this brush :evil:
I see a role for Kass where he's develops into a top 6 winger who can stand up for his team mates, hit hard and score the odd goal. I don't see Todd Bertuzzi, more along the lines of Clowe or Backes, and both of those players have 6-7 years on Zack.

Gooning it up with 4th liners shouldn't be his job...scrapping other teams top players who take liberties should be.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

No worries UDL. Wasn't specifically directed at you.

But lets ask a basic question: are there any 21-22 year old power forwards currently in the NHL that can be pointed to as being dominant and can take on a Clowe, Bert, Backes or other big man. I am also not talking about skating cement heads, I mean kids with talent, big size and some swagger.

And at the risk of injecting some science to the debate, why is it that true power atheletes - like olymic lifters and throwers - don't hit their peak until the late 20's to early 30's. My understanding is that its because men are at their physiological peaks at that time: muscle fully developed, etc..etc.

Same thing goes for hockey players. Their cardio will be wicked in their early 20's but the real strength doesn't show up until they've matured. So a powerforward, who relies on power, trying to train power AND cardio, isn't going to really be a beast until he fully physically matures. Its just logic.

As Kassian matures, his strength is going to go up massively. With his strength will come the swagger. With both will come the domination. Everyone talks about big Bert... but how long did it take Bert to become a monster?

Patience :)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

wafflecombine wrote:No worries UDL. Wasn't specifically directed at you.

But lets ask a basic question: are there any 21-22 year old power forwards currently in the NHL that can be pointed to as being dominant and can take on a Clowe, Bert, Backes or other big man. I am also not talking about skating cement heads, I mean kids with talent, big size and some swagger.

And at the risk of injecting some science to the debate, why is it that true power atheletes - like olymic lifters and throwers - don't hit their peak until the late 20's to early 30's. My understanding is that its because men are at their physiological peaks at that time: muscle fully developed, etc..etc.

Same thing goes for hockey players. Their cardio will be wicked in their early 20's but the real strength doesn't show up until they've matured. So a powerforward, who relies on power, trying to train power AND cardio, isn't going to really be a beast until he fully physically matures. Its just logic.

As Kassian matures, his strength is going to go up massively. With his strength will come the swagger. With both will come the domination. Everyone talks about big Bert... but how long did it take Bert to become a monster?

Patience :)
Kassian is still young and inexperienced. He will be a monster one day or at least that is what we all hope. Wouldn't that be nice to have Clowe now?