GDT - Apr 10 - Van @ Cgy 6:30 SN pac

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Apr 10 - Van @ Cgy 6:30 SN pac

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote: He will over pay to get a goalie. Will it be Miller? Bryz? Bernier? Smith? I think he will go hard after one of the top goalies.He could probably have Bryz for a song and a dance. That I'd love to see.
And this is great for the Canucks. One more team into the mix for a goalie.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:If the Flames don't find a quality net minder to take over when Kipper is done they are in real trouble no matter what they do.
So next year? :P
Hockey Widow wrote: This "clean" slate will bode well for their future if Feaster gets it more right than wrong over the summer. But it will not be for the immediate future.
If history is any indicator, he'll probably get it more wrong.
Hockey Widow wrote: Here's the problem as I see it. Fester has been told the playoffs are a must next year. That is going to put pressure on him to do a quick re-tooling instead of a re-build which means he will over pay FA and may even trade away some of his picks/prospects.
I doubt he'll move any of the prospects he just brought in in exchange for Iginla and Bouwmeester. So that leaves very little in the way of prospects for him to trade.....at least prospects worth any return. I also doubt he will have to trade away picks, I have a feeling the UFA market will be fairly rich with talent this summer. Talent that other teams just can't afford to keep. If anything Feaster will face the dilemma of attracting some of these players to come play in Calgary.
Hockey Widow wrote: He will over pay to get a goalie. Will it be Miller? Bryz? Bernier? Smith? I think he will go hard after one of the top goalies.He could probably have Bryz for a song and a dance. That I'd love to see.

If he makes a trade for Bryzgalov he's an idiot and ownership should veto the move and fire him for suggesting it. If he offers Bryzgalov a contract, should Philadelphia buy him out, then Calgary is once again being victimized by a no-nothing GM who is a piss poor judge of hockey talent.

Scuttlebutt is that Miller wants to stay in the US and doesn't want to play in Canada. His NTC requires a list of 8 teams he will not go to, chances are good that 6 of them are in Canada.....I would say 7, but I am willing to bet he'd waive for Toronto. So if that rumor is true then Miller is off the table for Feaster.

Just the other night they were talking about UFA goaltenders and the market for them this coming summer. Smith was, of course, on that list. Some of the panel was of the opinion that he wants to go somewhere that ices a competitive team where he doesn't have to be the reason that they do or die. The other guys opined that he would be willing to stay [with the Coyotes] out of loyalty to Sean Burke. I'm sure much of his decision will rest on what the future of the franchise is, and if the green light is there for someone to finally purchase and move the franchise then I would imagine that the decision becomes more difficult. Regardless, Smith has been making a meager salary compared to other goaltenders of his ilk. He's due for a big payday, and while the Coyotes have more than enough room, Smith will almost certainly be getting offers in the $6M range. I also think Smith would love to come home and play in Canada, but he might not want to sign with a team that is going into the first year of a rebuilding phase. I would like to suggest that Edmonton makes a big play for Mike Smith if he tests the UFA waters, and that is a team that has the pieces and SHOULD be on the tail end of rebuilding and starting to compete.

Jonathan Bernier is a RFA and completely unproven as a starting goaltender. He would be a cheaper option for Feaster, but will likely cost him a draft pick or two. It's almost a certainty that Bernier wants out of LA and into a place where he isn't just sitting on the bench behind Jonathan Quick. Honestly I think Bernier is probably the most likely of goaltenders to land in Calgary next year.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:Here's the problem as I see it. Fester has been told the playoffs are a must next year.
Feaster has since claimed he mis-spoke when he said that.

I don't think much of the deadline prospects they received other than they have a pulse.

Feaster will have to overpay to get some short term FA help willing to endure a couple of years of the suck. Realistically, their own first round selection has an outside chance of making the lineup next year. The rest of their 1st round selections are a year or two further out.

I wonder how Wideman feels about his decision? Feaster must be hoping Wideman has cousins.

I suspect they have Ramo pencilled in to replace Kipper
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.