GDT - Bettman's team (aka Phoenix) @ Canucks - 7pm Snet-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Bettman's team (aka Phoenix) @ Canucks - 7pm Snet-

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:Good to see Kesler back. I like seeing him on the 3rd line as that is where he belongs. He is, IMO, second only to Datsuyk when it comes being a fore-checking, back-checking, defensively responsible center who can force turnovers and generate chances. He belongs on both special team units as well.
For some reasons, your sentence just does not seem right. You want Kesler to center the third line but you are comparing him to Datsuyk... Kesler DOES NOT belong to the third line. As a matter of fact, he could be a No. 1 centre on almost every team, except a handful. However, I have to agree that having him to center the third line is just AMAZING.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
Mëds wrote:Good to see Kesler back. I like seeing him on the 3rd line as that is where he belongs. He is, IMO, second only to Datsuyk when it comes being a fore-checking, back-checking, defensively responsible center who can force turnovers and generate chances. He belongs on both special team units as well.
For some reasons, your sentence just does not seem right. You want Kesler to center the third line but you are comparing him to Datsuyk... Kesler DOES NOT belong to the third line. As a matter of fact, he could be a No. 1 centre on almost every team, except a handful. However, I have to agree that having him to center the third line is just AMAZING.
Normally you would be right, but read in this context, Kesler belong on AV's third line. We don't have another center who can do what he does in shutting down opposing team's top lines. That 3rd line is 3rd in name only. It will get more minutes than our second line. I should have specified that it was due to the role he needs to be assigned to on this team.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote: For some reasons, your sentence just does not seem right. You want Kesler to center the third line but you are comparing him to Datsuyk... Kesler DOES NOT belong to the third line. As a matter of fact, he could be a No. 1 centre on almost every team, except a handful. However, I have to agree that having him to center the third line is just AMAZING.
3rd line is simply a label.

That line would see the 2nd most even strength minutes, possibly more. Kesler himself will see additional PP time and PK time. He will eventually wind up being the forward with the most minutes on any given night.

However if we do use his line to match-up against the oppositions best it may be in the best interest of the team. He can help contain the oppositions top line and this will in turn lead to better match-ups for the Sedin's and even better match-ups for our secondary scoring line that has Roy now centering it.

I'm not trying to downplay the effectiveness of Kesler's line offensively at all, I think his line can pitch in significantly well 5 on 5. Shall we call this our tertiary scoring!

:D
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote:
I understand that it is a label; however, it still does not sound too right when most of the time we were talking about guys like Malhotra and Phalsson as our third line centre. All of a sudden, Kesler is demoted from 2nd to 3rd... :lol:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovocop wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
I understand that it is a label; however, it still does not sound too right when most of the time we were talking about guys like Malhotra and Phalsson as our third line centre. All of a sudden, Kesler is demoted from 2nd to 3rd... :lol:
Dang right it's a stereotype.

You have the Primary scoring line, Secondary scoring line and the Checking line and the ummmmm 4th line :D

All have to play D!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Arachnid wrote: Dang right it's a stereotype.

You have the Primary scoring line, Secondary scoring line and the Checking line and the ummmmm 4th line :D
We'll change that stereotype and give them the following titles instead:

1) Primary Scoring Line
2) Top Checking Line
3) Secondary Scoring Line
4) Energy Line

The 3rd line doesn't have to be the checking line. Hell Detroit's first line is essentially the primary scoring as well.

We like to fit things into boxes!
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Geezus - 2 page game day thread before the puck has even dropped. Against the (yawn) Coyotes to boot. Is Kesler's return really that exciting? Damn, sometimes there's not even a GDT an hour before puck drop.

I would prefer to see Hansen on Kesler's RW instead of Kassian. I think Kassian lacks the defensive smarts and experience, at this point, but would really add to the offense on a line with Roy. He does think the offensive side of the game well and would create room for Roy. That being said, Kassian has shown decent smarts as a playmaker. He might be a good mix with Kesler as a guy that passes the puck and hits Kesler on the rush for shots. Who knows. I just know that Raymond-Kesler-Hansen would probably be the ultimate shutdown line out there right now.
Agree - I would like to see Kes with Raymond and Hansen and see the speed it generates. Roy and Higgins seem to have a bit of chemistry, and I think Kassian may be better suited for this line to create room for the other two out there.

As for the 4th line, not sure what the plan is tonight. Assuming Lappy goes in to the 4C position, but I thought Ebbett played reasonably well the last couple of games. Maybe slam him in as the 4C (he's only going to get about 7-8 minutes there anyway), and put Lappy on the RW with Weise on the other side.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Arachnid wrote: Dang right it's a stereotype.

We'll change that stereotype and give them the following titles instead:

1) Primary Scoring Line
2) Top Checking Line
3) Secondary Scoring Line
4) Energy Line

The 3rd line doesn't have to be the checking line. Hell Detroit's first line is essentially the primary scoring as well.

We like to fit things into boxes!
Heh, or
1) Primary Scoring Line
2) Top Checking Line (Secondary scoring line)
3) Speed/Energy Line (Secondary scoring line)
4) Bang & Crunch-time Line (Secondary scoring line)

:mrgreen:
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Going to be interesting to see if Kesler is 100% recovered..
It looks like AV has 3 scoring lines.
Lines 2 and 3 both have 2 good proven defensive forwards in Kesler and Raymond with Kassian as a wild card and Higgins and Hansen both good 2 way players centered by Roy..and both lines with the potential to be big offensive threats..
Don't like the combo of Ballard and Alberts on D... but looks like Tanev is gone for this game and maybe a few more..
Phoenix will be a tough opponent fighting for a playoff spot.. But the "New, improved " Canucks should win..4 - 2
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

How many runs at Edler will Doan take? Here's to hoping they've been fine tuning the powerplay because this one might be rough
If you need air...call it in
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I don't see Kesler doing too much in his first game back. He not only has to get back to game shape he also has to get the timing back. I will be interested to watch Roy to see if he is feeling more at ease between Higgins and Hansen. He is a very good C and if they start to gel as it appears the three of them might, it could be an interesting playoff run.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kesler will come back. After half a period AV will be upset about something and change the lines. HE will put Kesler in a clear second line role and whoever is left will get Roy. The Canucks will lose and AV will say our goalie wasn't the best goalie out there.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CFP! wrote:
Sedins-Burr
Higgins-Roy-Hansen
Raymond-Kesler-Kassian
Blah blah blah....
I like our top 3 lines. Hope it stays that way for a while. Nice to see Ray back with Kes, those two had great chemistry a couple seasons ago.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Canuck-One wrote:I don't see Kesler doing too much in his first game back. He not only has to get back to game shape he also has to get the timing back. I will be interested to watch Roy to see if he is feeling more at ease between Higgins and Hansen. He is a very good C and if they start to gel as it appears the three of them might, it could be an interesting playoff run.
Uh huh? :lol:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Canuck-One wrote:I don't see Kesler doing too much in his first game back.
8-)

He got it done early cause he may not have the legs later in the game!