GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

Post by Canuck-One »

Wow just wow.....
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

griz wrote:When I saw the fat lady singing at the beginning of the game, I wondered how can it already be over?

I don't reckognize these Canucks.
Meh, I recognize some of the fans....

Pluggers are not plugging as well as they have been lately, we should be 0-6 these past games...we were due to shit the bed...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone still doubt that we are not a contender?
Considering that we are missing our 2nd line center, and we really need a bona fide 3rd line center sure doesnt help.

Even elite teams crap the bed once in a while.
Now if they go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak, that a different story
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Well...

We ARE still short handed some very important pieces of our team.

Meh. It sucks to be embarrassed like this on HNIC though.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Image short or not we stink. time to tank.
JelloPuddingPop
MVP
MVP

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

I must have missed something - but why is Sestito in the box?
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Canuck-One wrote:Image short or not we stink. time to tank.
Tank? Is this not were they reach down deep inside and feel their balls (something you are lacking btw) and battle.

Even if they lose 4-3 or 4-1 they have to get something out of it.

Seem to be having a better period.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I used to like Hrudey...now, not so much....

gotta do something here, get a couple and win a fight...something

minny came back with a shootout win...:(
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Arachnid wrote:
Tank? Is this not were they reach down deep inside and feel their balls (something you are lacking btw) and battle.

Apparently you like those that try. I like those that win and this team doesn't have it. Last years 1st round elimination was as good as it gets for us until Gillis makes some changes. Anyway yeah a better period but so what.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Canuck-One wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Apparently you like those that try. I like those that win and this team doesn't have it. Last years 1st round elimination was as good as it gets for us until Gillis makes some changes. Anyway yeah a better period but so what.
Yep, it's what I thought..... bandwagoneer :drink:
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Luongo sucks :P
He's made more saves than Cory in this one. :P
Can't really blame Schneider, the whole team were missing in front of him...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Here's the thing.....

The team defense has been BRUTAL. But in reality it hasn't been that much worse than it has been for the last few games. A bit worse, but not much. Schneider just came back down to earth and Luongo did exactly what one would expect from a goaltender who hasn't seen action in over 2 weeks.

First goal. Schneider gets beat by a perfect shot after the defense let Hall get behind them without so much as thinking about coverage. Schneider has made that save in the last 6 games and the defensive gaff hasn't been noticed.

Second goal. Ebbet did a perfect job of screening Schneider. I mean, you look at that replay and he could not have gotten in a better position to block Cory's view of the puck if he had tried.....the only way he actually makes that an easier goal for Edmonton is if he physically took Schneider out of the net on his way through.

Third goal. Lou gets beat that way fairly often. I'm willing to bet that we aren't weren't on a 6 game winning streak with Luongo in net. His angle coverage isn't as good and he isn't as strong on the ice as Schneider. Regardless, how many near breakaways does this team need to give a single player on the other team in the first 3 mintues? Again, it was

Fourth goal. See above where I talk about Lou not being strong along the ice. While Schneider likely holds that one out.

Regardless, the team has been committing turnovers in their own end and getting burned to the outside since the beginning of the year. When our goaltending has been human we have watched the wheels spin in the mud and the team go nowhere. Nothing has changed, just the goaltending. Tonight is a bit of an off night, but just watch our attack versus their's. They move fluidly on the attack, the Canucks look like they are stuck in the mud by comparisson.....too predictable and not enough cross zone movement. Pretty sad really. People have credited AV with getting the wins with all the injuries. I credit the goaltending of Cory Schneider. The team hasn't really scored much, he's just held the fort.

Tonight Vigneault didn't get the goaltending he's had in the last 6 games. This is the result.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

griz wrote:When I saw the fat lady singing at the beginning of the game, I wondered how can it already be over?

I don't reckognize these Canucks.

Unfortunately I do recognize them. It's the same team that's been winning against crap opposition by the skin of its teeth.Our window of opportunity closed against Boston and after watching Gillis sign sub-par players to big contracts I'm not sure he knows what he's doing.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Walmart has an Easter sale on bedding.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone still doubt that we are not a contender?
Considering that we are missing our 2nd line center, and we really need a bona fide 3rd line center sure doesnt help.

Even elite teams crap the bed once in a while.
Now if they go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak, that a different story
None of this was the fault of a missing center.

I can't believe how people are just leaning on this crutch. The teams' problems are far deeper than just Kesler being hurt and a couple of other injuries to the lineup. Look at this, we are getting shutout by Devin Dubnyk for fuck sakes. When we can't score a single goal on the Oilers, back-stopped by Devin Fucking Dubnyk.......there is something really wrong with the team. Yes it needs more offensive punch and is missing a center. But Kesler being in the lineup didn't help us for 7 games, and he wouldn't be the tide turning component in this one.

Don't fool yourself. The team needs a new look behind the bench. That should be Gillis' first concern because it is the easiest to deal with. Players are tough to acquire.....and badly over-priced right now.