GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Mar 30 - Van @ Edm - 7:00 CBC

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Walmart has an Easter sale on bedding.
I don't think it is bed-wetting to point out some fairly observable facts.

The team is definitely shitting the bed right now.....so they could probably use the heads up on that sale though.

Luongo has been good since the 2nd goal though. VERY good.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

TWO MASSIVE SAVES BY LUONGO, eh Mëds?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Earth to Gillis, come in Gillis, Earth to Gillis, come in.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

BLAME AV, BLAME AV, BLAME AV
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:TWO MASSIVE SAVES BY LUONGO, eh Mëds?
More than two. But there was some big ones right there. Hrudey is right, it is nice to see a guy who doesn't give up or quit even in a game that has been effectively over since the 2:43 mark.

He's been perfect since the 8 minute mark of the first period. He's been good.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Anyone still doubt that we are not a contender?
Considering that we are missing our 2nd line center, and we really need a bona fide 3rd line center sure doesnt help.

Even elite teams crap the bed once in a while.
Now if they go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak, that a different story
None of this was the fault of a missing center.

I can't believe how people are just leaning on this crutch. The teams' problems are far deeper than just Kesler being hurt and a couple of other injuries to the lineup. Look at this, we are getting shutout by Devin Dubnyk for fuck sakes. When we can't score a single goal on the Oilers, back-stopped by Devin Fucking Dubnyk.......there is something really wrong with the team. Yes it needs more offensive punch and is missing a center. But Kesler being in the lineup didn't help us for 7 games, and he wouldn't be the tide turning component in this one.

Don't fool yourself. The team needs a new look behind the bench. That should be Gillis' first concern because it is the easiest to deal with. Players are tough to acquire.....and badly over-priced right now.
It's one game you schmuck, let's judge them after another 5....
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
Third goal. Lou gets beat that way fairly often. I'm willing to bet that we aren't weren't on a 6 game winning streak with Luongo in net. His angle coverage isn't as good and he isn't as strong on the ice as Schneider. Regardless, how many near breakaways does this team need to give a single player on the other team in the first 3 mintues? Again, it was

Fourth goal. See above where I talk about Lou not being strong along the ice. While Schneider likely holds that one out.
So um, after reading this, that doesn't sound like a goalie that a lot of teams would want to trade for, or give up a lot for, especially considering his age and that contract your boi Gillis gave him. Am I ballpark?
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Jesus you guys on here are unbelievable. 1 loss in seven games and all of a sudden its piss in the bed. Incredible.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I am glad they lost this way.

Gets back down to earth and realize you can't take any night off.

it was only 1 game and like somene else said, if it goes on for 3 more games then we have a problem.

Tonight the Nucks sucked - forget it and move on.

PS - still hate AV and want him fired 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:[
Well, there is only so much AV can do with this hodgepodge line-up that his boss Gillis put in place for him. His hands are tied. Gotta feel sorry for AV, his boss is asleep at the wheel.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

okcanuck wrote:Jesus you guys on here are unbelievable. 1 loss in seven games and all of a sudden its piss in the bed. Incredible.
Not surprised by these kind of losses, look at the line-up Gillis has built? They are still playoff bound, but they won't go very far.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:BLAME AV, BLAME AV, BLAME AV
Not entirely. The players weren't engaged at all tonight, but he deserves a good chunk of it. The team hasn't exactly been flying lately. 6 wins on the back of the goaltender. No offense yet. Nothing new. The PP still sucks. The PK is meh. A lot of this falls on the coach.

Gillis gets some blame for a few things. There may or may not have been some worthwhile trades out there that he has thumbed his nose at because he thinks he can get more for Louie. But he certainly could have replaced the coach, and as much as you fault him for lack of player acquisition and movement, he has had the same period of time to assess the coaching and watch the complete ineffectiveness of the offense and PP, both of which have steadily declined since 2011.

So I agree with you that Gillis is dropping the ball right now, but for different reasons. I'm giving him until the draft. If he doesn't do something phenomenal, then I think Gillis and Vigneault both need to go find jobs elsewhere.

If he turns Luongo into a top 3 draft pick.....I'll be very happy. I don't care if that happens at the deadline or on draft day, if he does that then he has the summer to tinker and get things managed cap-wise for next year. But this coach, as good as he's been, needs to go find somewhere else to ply his trade.
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

Tonight Vigneault didn't get the goaltending he's had in the last 6 games. This is the result.
Maybe so, but that's only half the problem. You can't win if you can't score.

I don't mind the way the world is seeing the Canucks right now. Maybe they'll surprise more than we expected in the playoffs?

The Penguins have added some significant pieces, but aren't they missing Letang and now Crosby (maybe)? The Canucks will have a bunch of players coming back from injury soon. And of course, there's that (stupid) trade deadline coming...

I'd rather a total loss like this than a marginal loss where they figure they played well enough to win. This is the splash of water in the face this team has needed. The Canucks looked like they were just waking out of a slumber to start the game. I am looking forward to the next time they play the oilers. I predict a more motivate team with more puck luck.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Arachnid wrote:
Mëds wrote:None of this was the fault of a missing center.

I can't believe how people are just leaning on this crutch. The teams' problems are far deeper than just Kesler being hurt and a couple of other injuries to the lineup. Look at this, we are getting shutout by Devin Dubnyk for fuck sakes. When we can't score a single goal on the Oilers, back-stopped by Devin Fucking Dubnyk.......there is something really wrong with the team. Yes it needs more offensive punch and is missing a center. But Kesler being in the lineup didn't help us for 7 games, and he wouldn't be the tide turning component in this one.

Don't fool yourself. The team needs a new look behind the bench. That should be Gillis' first concern because it is the easiest to deal with. Players are tough to acquire.....and badly over-priced right now.
I'm judging them based on the last 7 games now, and the 20 before that.....
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

griz wrote:
Tonight Vigneault didn't get the goaltending he's had in the last 6 games. This is the result.
Maybe so, but that's only half the problem. You can't win if you can't score.
Ummm.....that's kinda my point. :P