GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Tallon just fuckin' slayed it. He will have a bigger laugh when Gillis has to buy one of these two fucking jack asses out.
Tallon is in charge of the worst team in the NHL. I highly doubt he'll be laughing at Mike Gillis.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Topper wrote:What does Tallon have to show for Booth and Ballard?
Well, just for shits and giggles for our viewing audience. If you factor in all the chatter around here, Toppa surrounding what to do with these albatross contracts we have in Ballard and Booth, i.e. buying them out, trying to trade them cause the return on the dollar that we are paying them is, well, to put it nicely, really shittay, and in turn trying to deal with new CBA that kicks in next season hamstringing the Canucks a fair bit in that we have 14 players signed next season for a grand total of $60 million plus. The Booth and Ballard contracts are an absolute fucking nightmare for the man with the Moneyball mind - Gillis the architect who brought them here in the first place. All the while Dale 'the true moneypucker motha' Tallon is sitting pretty with $8.7 million in terrible contracts (Booth and Ballard) now wiped off the books on the eve of the new CBA (Great foreshadowing btw) and a decent prospect in Quinton Howden to boot. Tallon just fuckin' slayed it. He will have a bigger laugh when Gillis has to buy one of these two fucking jack asses out.
And as usual you dance around in your tights around the actual question. The Canucks really gave up fuck all to acquire both of these slugs other than money. One grubby third line prospect was worth it to roll the dice on a pair of players who have have played some good hockey in the NHL..... a league where Quinton has yet to suit up.

Grabner is NOT a top 6 forward on a contending team. So the wops will have to eat some money for Gillis's rolling of the dice .......why would this piss you off so much ? Do you purchase a lot of tickets..... souvenirs ?? Who else was available that they could have spent the money on and missed out on ? Unless you can answer that question you look like an angry gas huffer that's losing his hair.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Fin I remember correctly the panthers got

Bernier
Grabner
Sammuelsson
Strum

If I'm further not mistaken,

Bernier is in New Jersey
Grabner is in Brooklyn
Sammy's on injury reserve
And who the fuck knows where Sturm is right now?

More to the point
Gillis acquired
Bernier, Sammuelsson, and Sturm as FAs so they really don't count as lost assets in the first place

Maybe we lost out on Grabner, but...meh, been chewed to death... So what?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:Fin I remember correctly the panthers got

Bernier
Grabner
Sammuelsson
Strum

If I'm further not mistaken,

Bernier is in New Jersey
Grabner is in Brooklyn
Sammy's on injury reserve
And who the fuck knows where Sturm is right now?

More to the point
Gillis acquired
Bernier, Sammuelsson, and Sturm as FAs so they really don't count as lost assets in the first place

Maybe we lost out on Grabner, but...meh, been chewed to death... So what?
Canucks salary dump - Bernier - waived, unclaimed and finished the year in the AHL then signed elsewhere as a FA
Canuck redundant prospect - Grabner - waived by Tallon to send to the AHL, and picked up by NYI (funny, one of the reasons he was available was because Vancouver didn't think he could stick on the roster and would be claimed on waivers - good call GMMG)
Canuck 1st round pick - Tallon clutched Quinton Howden - got 5 games with the Panthers (only stat minus 4), possibly a 3rdline PK'r
Sammuelsson - hurt much of the season, signed with Detroit after the season
Strum - ineffective, not offered a contract in the off season and now playing in Germany
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

There ya go RD
Nothin to see here, moving right along...

Oh wait...
Booth is a genuine NHL player, if a little over paid for the time he's spent in the infirmary .

Ballard is a serviceable D man who is also over paid, but still on the roster of a top western franchise...

I'd say its Irish with the Golden Fleece...

Especially if he turns both of these assets into draft picks or futures in the off season...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:T
Oh wait...
Booth is a genuine NHL player, .

Ballard is a serviceable D man
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A fucking massive waste of $8.7 million in LONG TERM contracts that Tallon has wiped his hands clean of that are now dirtying up the Vancouver Canucks cap situation heading into next season and not the Panthers. Oh yeah, baby, Moneypuck Gillis got fleeced alright.

Anyhow, carry on. Aquaman will just have to open up his wallet to save Mikey's bacon. Cause ole Mikey backed himself into a corner being a total ignoramus on the eve of a new CBA.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Never argue with an idiot. Bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
Never argue with an idiot. Bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.
Ad Hominem. A sign of defeat. Take your beating and run along my good man.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Personally, I'll worry about Gillis' management of the 2013/14 Vancouver Canucks in 2013/14. Right now, I'm more concerned about his management of the 2013 edition.

All of this hand wringing about next year, when IMO Gillis has three big tradeable contracts in Luongo, Ballard and Booth that will get this team well under the cap, is much ado about nothing. Once this year's team is eliminated, then I'll start worrying about next year's team and the relevant cap situation. Gillis has a good, but not great team this year.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

herb wrote:Personally, I'll worry about Gillis' management of the 2013/14 Vancouver Canucks in 2013/14. Right now, I'm more concerned about his management of the 2013 edition.

All of this hand wringing about next year, when IMO Gillis has three big tradeable contracts in Luongo, Ballard and Booth that will get this team well under the cap, is much ado about nothing. Once this year's team is eliminated, then I'll start worrying about next year's team and the relevant cap situation. Gillis has a good, but not great team this year.
Exactly. If there's one thing that Gillis and Gilman are good at, it's working the cap in their favour.

When next year rolls around the whole situation will be resolved and the Dude wont have had to open his wallet once!
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: Canuck 1st round pick - Tallon clutched Quinton Howden - got 5 games with the Panthers (only stat minus 4), possibly a 3rdline PK'r
It doesn't really matter who Florida took with the pick they got from Vancouver.

First rounders have inherent value and the pick could have been used in a number of different ways to bring value to the organization.

The rest I agree with.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

herb wrote:Personally, I'll worry about Gillis' management of the 2013/14 Vancouver Canucks in 2013/14. Right now, I'm more concerned about his management of the 2013 edition.

Agreed.

Right now the only thing that the Balalrd and Booth contracts have caused is a lot of hand wringing by the media and Fan base.

The Canucks were front of line to throw huge money at Shane Doan this summer so it's pretty clear that as of yet there have been no issues at all carrying some bloated contracts.

Should there be problems next year then the criticism is totally fair but until that happens it's a bunch of crying over nothing.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Topper wrote: Canuck 1st round pick - Tallon clutched Quinton Howden - got 5 games with the Panthers (only stat minus 4), possibly a 3rdline PK'r
It doesn't really matter who Florida took with the pick they got from Vancouver.

First rounders have inherent value and the pick could have been used in a number of different ways to bring value to the organization.

The rest I agree with.
I'm sorry Spud, but you are wrong. :lol:

The context is, "What does Tallon have from those deals?"

In that context, his choice of Howden is as relevant as his decision to waive Grabner.

It is also relevant because GMMG deemed the late round pick in a shallow draft pool to be quite expendable. The story that day was, his guy was taken earlier.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:I'm sorry Spud, but you are wrong. :lol:
Not possible (smile)
The context is, "What does Tallon have from those deals?"
Fair enough.
It is also relevant because GMMG deemed the late round pick in a shallow draft pool to be quite expendable. The story that day was, his guy was taken earlier.
Perhaps expendable but not worthless.

He could have still used the pick, or traded it for different picks, or traded it for a different player.

Fact is he gave up a fairly valuable asset for a player in Ballard, who has basically been a replacement level defenseman during his tenure here.

It was a poor move no matter how you slice it.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Something else that seems to be over looked about that trade was the loss of Erhoff and not having a crystal ball in regards to where Hammer was going to sign and not knowing if Salo was going to comeback from a torn Achilles...

If Hamhuis took the cash in Philly, and Salo was a career ender, we all would be grateful as hell to have Ballard. I'm not a big Irish supporter exactly but to condemn ol luggage eyes for the Ballard trade is to do so with 20/20 hindsight.