GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Mar 23 Van @ LA 1:00 PST SNET

Post by ukcanuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:If there is one area where I will give Gillis credit is having the faith in Mason Raymond to rebound from nearly being wheel-chaired for the rest of his life and constantly hearing all the media and fans around here dog piling on him all last year.

Sign this kid to an extension.
Mayray's stock will probably never be higher than right now... give up the hometown discount in exchange for no NTC or NMC and send him out east for a couple of picks in this lucrative draft in the summer....
If he wasn't committed to stay with the Canucks, why would he sign with us, he'd just wait till he's a UFA this summer and control where he wants to go.
We don't need a mid round pick, (what do you expect to get for a rental player?) what we need is to make a run for the Cup now while the Sedins are close to their prime.
In a few years we may be in rebuilding mode, but when you get a winger like Raymond who can produce 20 - 25 goals on the 2nd/3rd line you want to resign them, not pawn them off for future projects.
Rebuilding mode?? It's always rebuilding mode. This mayray is as good as he is going to be. He's playing for a contract and when he gets it... He's streaky and soft which is not a knock on him per se, I like the guy, but buy Lo sell high economics says deal him for picks...an extra second rounder in the draft would be awesome...
....Exactly because the Sedins are mortal by the way ...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ukcanuck wrote:This mayray is as good as he is going to be. ... ...an extra second rounder in the draft would be awesome.
:lol: Image :lol:
:mex: :mex: :mex:
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Topper wrote: :lol: Image :lol:
Is that the lines for tonight?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Just painting a picture of Raymond for a second round pick, if CBSA didn't snag one of the wetbacks.

Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

ukcanuck wrote: I like the guy, but buy Lo sell high economics says deal him for picks...an extra second rounder in the draft would be awesome...
....Exactly because the Sedins are mortal by the way ...
That would be fine if our team played one province to the East, but the Canucks have a decent shot this year so trading away a legitimate scoring threat in this years playoffs for a low second rounder that might not even make it to the NHL would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Alot depends if MG thinks he can re-sign him...
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

If its general manager UK. I'd offer term or money or NTC/NMC for Raymond...
He can have two but not all three...

I don't think he's going to get all three elsewhere and if he goes for the money then its gonna be fair market value and bingo he's tradable in the off season.

If he wants the term and the NTC then its easier to live with the soft perimeter play that's gonna come next season...

But I'd be pulling for the money cause I think he's going to be a downward trend in his game till the next contract year
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

ukcanuck wrote:If its general manager UK. I'd offer term or money or NTC/NMC for Raymond...
He can have two but not all three...
He can have one. One and a half if he plays this way through the end of the year..
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

It's a shame our secondary forwards are so inconsistent.

Raymond was soft, hit a contract year, put up 25 goals and 50+ points, signed big, played soft, got hurt, came back, stayed soft, took a haircut in arbitration, now playing awesome again in a contract year. He certainly has the tools, and when he applies them he is probably the guy I want to keep most because of the speed he brings both ways. But he's still a risk.

Higgins is well travelled for a reason, very up and down, generally has his good years in contract years. But he is a worthwhile skater to have on the roster.

Booth has almost the same speed as Raymond, but adds a physical element every night that Raymond lacks. Booth never takes a shift off. But Booth also has struggled to find a groove and produce points.....this is partly due to injury. Unfortunately for Booth, the injury bug has bitten him one too many times and I think that if he can be moved, he should be.

Lapierre is fine so long as he is used in the right role. Regular shifts on the 4th line, a bit of PK time, the odd fill-in on the 3rd line. Regular 3rd line minutes end up hurting us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: but buy Lo sell high economics says deal him for picks...
We just hope there is another Gillis out there who likes to Buy High Sell Low like he did and will eventually have to do with Booth, Luongo and Ballard. Fuck did Tallon ever Fleece Gillis.

Moneypuck at this finest. :cheers:
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

What does Tallon have to show for Booth and Ballard?

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:It's a shame our secondary forwards are so inconsistent.

Raymond was soft, hit a contract year, put up 25 goals and 50+ points, signed big, played soft, got hurt, came back, stayed soft, took a haircut in arbitration, now playing awesome again in a contract year. He certainly has the tools, and when he applies them he is probably the guy I want to keep most because of the speed he brings both ways. But he's still a risk.

Higgins is well travelled for a reason, very up and down, generally has his good years in contract years. But he is a worthwhile skater to have on the roster.

Booth has almost the same speed as Raymond, but adds a physical element every night that Raymond lacks. Booth never takes a shift off. But Booth also has struggled to find a groove and produce points.....this is partly due to injury. Unfortunately for Booth, the injury bug has bitten him one too many times and I think that if he can be moved, he should be.

Lapierre is fine so long as he is used in the right role. Regular shifts on the 4th line, a bit of PK time, the odd fill-in on the 3rd line. Regular 3rd line minutes end up hurting us.
Excellent review of what we have and their value.

Another big one is that Kesler seems to be injured a lot and is that based upon his style of play or is he injury prone?
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote: It's a shame our secondary forwards are so inconsistent.

Not a huge risk in the 3 mil range, compared to other big ticket failures
I've been impressed with Higgins since he's been here. Do you think he had a bad year last year?
Mëds wrote:Booth has almost the same speed as Raymond, but adds a physical element every night that Raymond lacks. Booth never takes a shift off. But Booth also has struggled to find a groove and produce points.....this is partly due to injury. Unfortunately for Booth, the injury bug has bitten him one too many times and I think that if he can be moved, he should be.
Booth would be just great to keep here - provided that he made about 1.5 and was a banging winger on the 3rd or 4th line.
We can't afford a guy with top 6 pay who can't put the puck in the net
Yep
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Topper wrote:What does Tallon have to show for Booth and Ballard?
Fleece
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Fleece
Seth Jones or Nathan MacKinnon? :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Well, just for shits and giggles for our viewing audience. If you factor in all the chatter around here, Toppa surrounding what to do with these albatross contracts we have in Ballard and Booth, i.e. buying them out, trying to trade them cause the return on the dollar that we are paying them is, well, to put it nicely, really shittay, and in turn trying to deal with new CBA that kicks in next season hamstringing the Canucks a fair bit in that we have 14 players signed next season for a grand total of $60 million plus. The Booth and Ballard contracts are an absolute fucking nightmare for the man with the Moneyball mind - Gillis the architect who brought them here in the first place. All the while Dale 'the true moneypucker motha' Tallon is sitting pretty with $8.7 million in terrible contracts (Booth and Ballard) now wiped off the books on the eve of the new CBA (Great foreshadowing btw) and a decent prospect in Quinton Howden to boot. Tallon just fuckin' slayed it. He will have a bigger laugh when Gillis has to buy one of these two fucking jack asses out.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau