GDT - Thursday Mar 21 - Van @ PHO 7:00 SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Thursday Mar 21 - Van @ PHO 7:00 SNET

Post by KeyserSoze »

Aaronp18 wrote:The fact that Edler is even getting a phone call is complete crap. All we should hear is "we agree with the call on the ice and no further action will be taken on Alex Edler."
Agree.

My take is that Edler was going for the puck (you see him poke his stick at it just before the collision), and attempted to chip it free and skate past Smith in the boards lane.

Players taking the boards lane when a goalie is playing the puck is very common. Generally the goalie's stick is in the boards lane (assuming the puck is along the boards, which it was in this case), and his body is a foot or two away from the boards (naturally leaving room for the player to skate through with minimal contact).

Unfortunately Smith took that lane away (perhaps intentionally, perhaps not) and Edler didn't change course (perhaps intentionally, perhaps he didn't have time...I think the latter).

Penalty no doubt. 5-min to manage the game I get. I'd be dissappointed if there was a suspension (but not shocked...nothing Shanahan and Co do shock me anymore, unfortunately).
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:The fact that Edler is even getting a phone call is complete crap. All we should hear is "we agree with the call on the ice and no further action will be taken on Alex Edler."
Agree.

My take is that Edler was going for the puck (you see him poke his stick at it just before the collision), and attempted to chip it free and skate past Smith in the boards lane.

Players taking the boards lane when a goalie is playing the puck is very common. Generally the goalie's stick is in the boards lane (assuming the puck is along the boards, which it was in this case), and his body is a foot or two away from the boards (naturally leaving room for the player to skate through with minimal contact).

Unfortunately Smith took that lane away (perhaps intentionally, perhaps not) and Edler didn't change course (perhaps intentionally, perhaps he didn't have time...I think the latter).

Penalty no doubt. 5-min to manage the game I get. I'd be dissappointed if there was a suspension (but not shocked...nothing Shanahan and Co do shock me anymore, unfortunately).
It will be interesting to see what Shanahan will do, especially after this

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu ... --nhl.html
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

If that goof Shanahan suspends Edler(which didn't even deserve 5 min.) he should be fired.Once again the reffing in the NHL is a digrace and is ruinning hockey.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

okcanuck wrote:If that goof Shanahan suspends Edler(which didn't even deserve 5 min.) he should be fired.Once again the reffing in the NHL is a digrace and is ruinning hockey.
He'll get at least a game just for being a Canuck...
No body east of the Selkirks gives a shite what Vancouver fans think, so its a gimme for shamahan every time
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote: It will be interesting to see what Shanahan will do, especially after this

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu ... --nhl.html
How in the hell does Nash not even get a phone call for that?

Leaping forearm to the back of Kopecky's head.

:crazy:

Edler is sure to get 3 games.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

If you need air...call it in
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Jannick Hansen would certainly like to know?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

2 games for Edler. That's complete garbage. I'm sorry but this league is right out to lunch.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418797
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:2 games for Edler. That's complete garbage. I'm sorry but this league is right out to lunch.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418797
I don't often swear on-line but what a fucking joke the NHL is.

really after what Nash did?

At times like this I wish Karma would bite Shit Head (who I lost all respent for) falls flat on his head and gets a concussion. what a total brutal call.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

First off Smith was not injured on the play. He was injured when he planted his glove on Dank's face when Dank was pushed into him. It looked like Smith might come out but he skated around and stayed in the game. After the Edler hit he got right back up. I call BS that the Edler hit injured him. I think he got injured before, could not come out int he 3rd and they conveniently blame the injury on the Edler hit.

Having said all of that, had any player thrown that hit on Luongo or CS we all would all want blood. Edler had plenty of time to stop and made no attempt to do so. It was a flagrant hit on a goalie, which is simply not allowed. Having said that he does not deserve a suspension, the 5 and a fine or warning would have been sufficient.

Shanny has once again shown incredible bias in how he hands out suspensions. A player himself who gooned it up and had his share of high sticks and cross checking pretending he knows what is in the mind of players. Listen to his videos and you'd swear he was the father confessor and players bare their souls to him. It is uncanny how he has this knack for knowing exactly what players were thinking.

We all seen players on the favourite teams get away with murder and his favourite whipping boys getting the raw end of the deal. If Shanny had any balls he would have suspended Smith for embellishment!
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
okcanuck wrote:If that goof Shanahan suspends Edler(which didn't even deserve 5 min.) he should be fired.Once again the reffing in the NHL is a digrace and is ruinning hockey.
He'll get at least a game just for being a Canuck...
Nobody east of the Selkirks gives a shite what Vancouver fans think, so its a gimme for shamahan every time
Tell me again how there is no Canuck conspiracy?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Shanahan should take off his Irish sunglasses for a minute and actually open his fuckin eyes. How many Jamesons has he had by 6PM EST? Maybe we should ask for a morning appointment in the future....
If you need air...call it in
griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz »

The NHL continues to sicken me.

Everyone is crying out for consistency.

How hard can it be?

A stupid child can see 'which one of these things is not like the other?'

I don't believe Edler deserves a suspension. I don't like how the nhl admits that there was nothing intentional about the hit, that the goalie was playing the puck, and that edler has never had trouble like this in his 7 years of being in the league ... and then go and suspend him anyhow. For 2 games, which of course is nearly like 4 games due to the shortened season. When you compare it to some of the other stuff we've seen of late (lucic, nash) it just seems unfair that vancouver, already struggling with so many injuries, has to bear this for no apparently logical reason. Well, there's stupidity and corruption. But it couldn't be that. Right?