GDT: March 3rd - Canucks vs Kings 7:00PST HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT: March 3rd - Canucks vs Kings 7:00PST HNiC

Post by Jovocop »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Iginla and Clowe are both tougher than Eager. Bieksa fought Eager because he got attacked by him.

I am a Bieksa backer , but I also admit he is a spot picker like Chelios, McCabe and a few others over the years.

As for Williams the dude has never been a fighter ......ever. Who cares if he was chirping.... players do that. Big deal he was hacking and whacking out there. He has a couple cup rings and he is also unafraid to play in traffic. It's called gamemanship and I'd doubt Bieksa is holding him to task and wanting to beat his head in. He isn't a dirty player whatsoever, but he has enough testicular fortitude to play hard when it matters.

Dustin Brown is another matter because he plays on the edge and a lot of his hits are very borderline . To me if you are going to blow a guy up with a late hit or stick your leg out you had better be prepared to shed the mitts . Brown is like Matt Cooke. Then again some people thought Cooke was just a hard working scrappy player and got a bad rap. They would be idiots. Sorry for the rant.... just hate guys like Brown, Cooke and Clutterbuck etc.
Agreed that guys like Brown, Clutterbuck and Cooke should back up their dirty plays. Winning a cup or not, I have no respect for guys like Williams. To me, if you whack and hack after whistles, you better be able to back it up. If you want to be a skill player, just play with the game. That sucker reminds me so much of Marchand, always hides behind bigger players.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Mason Raymond at centre and a plus 3 along with Hansen. I remember Raymond doing well at centre right after Malhotra went down with the eye. Maybe there is something there? Raymond also on pace for a 25 goal season over 82 games, however, his current shooting % is almost double his career avg.

They went head to head against Richards (-3) and Carter (-3, 5 game goal streak.) and owned them.

Good thing the "most overrated GM ever" held onto him this year. Now, instead of putting Raymond on waivers, maybe he could get a 7th rounder for him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Larry Goodenough wrote: Good thing the "most overrated GM ever" held onto him this year. Now, instead of putting Raymond on waivers, maybe he could get a 7th rounder for him.
Or lose him for nothing in the offseason as a UFA. Probably the most likely option. Don't get me wrong, it's nice Raymond's playing well, but unless we offload Booth and Luongo and Ballard in the offseason (one can dream...), we're not going to be able to afford him. And quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd give him $3.5-$4M per.

I'd like to be able to take a run at Perry, Getzlaf, Clowe or Horton. Again... one can dream.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Nice to see us actually beat one of these bigger teams in all 3 zones for 3 full periods. Sure they had some push back but I think we pushed the pace to the point where our speed really dictated how the game was played. If not for their powerplay and a gimme by Schneider/AnAl this game wasn't even close.

Another encouraging sign was that we matched them physically, maybe even had the upper hand. Throwing a tank like Sestito out there with Lapierre and Kassian evens out the King/Nolan/Anonymous scrub line that the Kings have used against us lately with great success.

Other than a few hiccups I thought Alberts came in and proved to be an asset against a bigger team that has pushed us around. That hit on the right wall in the first was clean btw.

The Kings may be loaded with talent but a high percentage of these stars are floaters. If not for Kopitar and Williams they likely miss the playoffs. Doughty is -8 with 0 goals this year. I guess when you're all sporting cup rings you can cruise like rock stars and nobody can say shit...
If you need air...call it in
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: Good thing the "most overrated GM ever" held onto him this year. Now, instead of putting Raymond on waivers, maybe he could get a 7th rounder for him.
Or lose him for nothing in the offseason as a UFA. Probably the most likely option. Don't get me wrong, it's nice Raymond's playing well, but unless we offload Booth and Luongo and Ballard in the offseason (one can dream...), we're not going to be able to afford him. And quite honestly, I'm not sure I'd give him $3.5-$4M per.

I'd like to be able to take a run at Perry, Getzlaf, Clowe or Horton. Again... one can dream.
I think there's a good chance that he'll want to stay.
Take the haircut and 2.5 - 3 mil (assuming that he has a breakout season)
All the players understand that with the 'Nucks cap maxxed out, they cant get full market value otherwise they won't all fit in here.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

It's not about losing him or not, it's about a GM making good decisions through good understanding. Raymond was given up on by a vast majority of the unwashed masses without any real understanding of his real value.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Best game of the year so far (by far) for the Canucks.

Is it just me, or are Hank and Dank hitting a lot more this year? I've seen several legitimate body checks from both this season.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Raymond was given up on by a vast majority of the unwashed masses without any real understanding of his real value.
Raymond has also been very inconsistent thoughout his career and othet than handful of hot streaks has NOT proven he can score in this league with any consistency. His performance in the post season speaks for itself.

I like the kid and he can play d, kill penalties and seems to be well liked by his mates. That said he is as physical as Bobby Lalonde and he is in a numbers game. A few of the posters here also crapped on him ( definitely speaking for myself here ) somewhat in jest due to our resident transvestite lover constantly singing his praises. This is after the dude crapped on every single player in the organization that didn't arrive here during the gutburger bros administration.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Raymond is a good player to have if you already have a big physical team. He is just another player if the majority of your team is soft.
The only HW the Canucks need