GDT: Feb 9 - Flame-outs @ Canucks 7:00 PM -CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Feb 9 - Flame-outs @ Canucks 7:00 PM -CBC

Post by Potatoe1 »

coco_canuck wrote: This is not to say the Canucks should send Schroeder down when Kesler returns just to save Ebbett but it's in the Canucks best interest to figure out a way to massage the roster without losing someone.

I agree but I'm a lot more concerned about the blue line then the forwards.

This team is 1 injury away from having to dress Andrew Alberts a guy who has been almost unplayable in the post season. Worse yet it's 2 injuries away from having to play Cam Barker who has been unplayable period.

There is no Chris Tanev down on the farm this year, and that could end up being a major problem in the not so distant future.

Goes to show how important it is to have young defenseman developing on your farm team, when you have a guy that can actually play a limited role in the NHL it does wonders for your over all depth. Luckily Frank Corrado will be in the pro's next year and he is really looking like a guy who could help down the stretch next year.

As for Ebbett, I think he clears anyway.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
LOL...we got him long after his recovery from the concussion. But hey, keep drumming up the lame excuses, I enjoy the comedy.

Booth will not be a Canuck after this season,trust me

Seriously? Like what you said about Kassian? :roll:
I've never criticized Kassian's intellect, it's his consistency that has alway been his issue and he seemingly has made big strides in that department. Regarding Booth's brain, there ain't no improving that. He's as dumb as a sack a hammers.
I thought someone always says or said that Kassian is just a useless 4th liner. :roll:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: you dont like him cause he's a Bible thumper not for whats on the ice
I know you like to brush me off as someone whose sole reason for disliking Booth is for his off-ice beliefs to make yourself feel better, but you couldn't be further from the truth. I DON'T CARE. If Booth sacrifices lamb and covers himself in it's blood in some sort of satanic ritual, I could give two shits. I don't care if Trevor Linden is the Mother Teresa of hockey. I DON'T CARE. I don't care if Malhotra is a good guy off the ice. I only care about what goes on on the ice. I am just not that into hockey enough to judge players by what they do outside of the rink. I just have fun slagging them for it, has no bearing on how I feel about their delivery on ice. I am not a fan of Booth's game. I like smart puck possession hockey, I like players who see the ice well, good anticipation, passing, cycling blah, blah, blah. I don't like players who put the blinders on and can't stick handle to save their lives, exact same reasons why I hated Steve Bernier. I was hopeful when he first got here cause to be honest, I wasn't overly educated on Booths game as I have generally been with most players kitty corner the continent playing in Florida. But as soon as I started getting to know his game the more I disliked it. It is like the Steve Bernier nightmares starting all over again.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: I thought someone always says or said that Kassian is just a useless 4th liner. :roll:
LMAO. Hey Jovo you are great at scratching the surface in debating players, trying delving a little deeper and engage in some good ole fashion player debating. Am I the only that has voiced concerns about certain aspects of Kassians game. It's talked about constantly, I even heard Bob Mackenzie going on about this about Kassian's game two weeks ago. He's watched him growing up through the Ontario Hockey Leagues. Sometimes Kassian is into the game, sometimes he isn't. Bottom line. Hs nothing to do with hockey sense in which he has. I didn't make this shit up. It's been the book on him since like forever. I am glad that he is being more consistent and starting realize how good he can be. Completely different set of circumstances regarding my feelings about Booths game.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: you dont like him cause he's a Bible thumper not for whats on the ice
I know you like to brush me off as someone whose sole reason for disliking Booth is for his off-ice beliefs to make yourself feel better, but you couldn't be further from the truth. I DON'T CARE. If Booth sacrifices lamb and covers himself in it's blood in some sort of satanic ritual, I could give two shits. I don't care if Trevor Linden is the Mother Teresa of hockey. I DON'T CARE. I don't care if Malhotra is a good guy off the ice. I only care about what goes on on the ice. I am just not that into hockey enough to judge players by what they do outside of the rink. I just have fun slagging them for it, has no bearing on how I feel about their delivery on ice. I am not a fan of Booth's game. I like smart puck possession hockey, I like players who see the ice well, good anticipation, passing, cycling blah, blah, blah. I don't like players who put the blinders on and can't stick handle to save their lives, exact same reasons why I hated Steve Bernier. I was hopeful when he first got here cause to be honest, I wasn't overly educated on Booths game as I have generally been with most players kitty corner the continent playing in Florida. But as soon as I started getting to know his game the more I disliked it. It is like the Steve Bernier nightmares starting all over again.
It seems you were more than hopeful when the trade was made but you soon soured:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=116639
RoyalDude wrote:I love this trade, I see Booth as maybe doing what Patrick Sharp did for Chicago when the Flyers gave up on him and being that guy for us. The guy has a real nose for the net and may excel in a hotbed hockey environment, playing on good hockey team. He's got speed and plays on the edge should by all accounts be a 30 goal guy,. I think him and his buddy Kesler may turn out to be quite the scarey combo out there. Can't wait til we get Raymond back in the line-up, I once again love the speed and skill of this team up front.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117086
RoyalDude wrote:In order to be a great 'championship' hockey player one has to be lured by the evils of life ie, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You need to wake up angry every morning with a wicked hangover and take all your misery out on anyone who comes within earshot of ya. That my friend is what I look for in a hockey player. Angry and Mean and hungover from the Devils Sauce. I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team. They win ya nothing.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117390
RoyalDude wrote:Did the Panthers Bamboozle Gillis again with this Booth trade? Could we be stuck with a massive contract on a player who is considered to have low IQ hockey sense and is a little uncomfortably religious to be around?
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117244
RoyalDude wrote:Do you think David Booth leaves a stack of Awake Magazines at the entrance to the Canucks dressing room?

Actually, after reading these and other posts of yours, I think the real reason you hate Booth is that there were suggestions that the team could have got rid of Raymond with the arrival of Booth and you do have a"thing" for ol Mase don't ya? :)
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Boothy will be fine. It has been debated into the ground around here but once again, he didn't play that bad last year. Other posters have ran a stat comparison and if you factor in his knee injury, he actually was right on track with other second line wingers. He doesn't have chemistry with Kesler, true, but that doesn't make him a bust.

I wonder if he would mesh with a creative centre like Schroeder and a 2 way winger like Raymond. Who knows but it's a pretty deep forward core when Kesler and Booth return so lets just see how he looks. It's not our money anyway...right?

Speaking of which, who isn't impressed with how well Raymond has returned? He looks like he did the year he scored 25/25. If he can continue playing this well I would hate to see him walk(yes RD...you told us so!)

Pot, the defense is really coming together now and an injury or 2 would definitely devastate our depth but I wonder if Barker is re-learning the ropes with a good coaching staff like Vancouver. He has the tools to be a regular NHL'er and it just seemed to me that he went off the rails somewhere due to lack of confidence rather than being a shitty player. He scored something like 35-40 points early in his career(albeit on a stacked CHI team) so I don't think it's a given that he will be the same player who sucked the last couple of years if he can re-gain his lost mojo. I will at least see how he fares.

We appear to be deep at all positions and our main weakness is top end prospects in the system...but even this is debatable. This Gaunce kid and Frankie Corrado have really turned into a couple of gems, Jensen apparently isn't quite ready for the NHL but a year in the "A" will only help. Schroeder looks like a good one now and nobody, including myself, has given him much chance of success until recently.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
It seems you were more than hopeful when the trade was made but you soon soured:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=116639
RoyalDude wrote:I love this trade, I see Booth as maybe doing what Patrick Sharp did for Chicago when the Flyers gave up on him and being that guy for us. The guy has a real nose for the net and may excel in a hotbed hockey environment, playing on good hockey team. He's got speed and plays on the edge should by all accounts be a 30 goal guy,. I think him and his buddy Kesler may turn out to be quite the scarey combo out there. Can't wait til we get Raymond back in the line-up, I once again love the speed and skill of this team up front.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117086
RoyalDude wrote:In order to be a great 'championship' hockey player one has to be lured by the evils of life ie, sex, drugs and rock n roll. You need to wake up angry every morning with a wicked hangover and take all your misery out on anyone who comes within earshot of ya. That my friend is what I look for in a hockey player. Angry and Mean and hungover from the Devils Sauce. I don't need any happy, smiley, flakey bible thumpers on my team. They win ya nothing.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117390
RoyalDude wrote:Did the Panthers Bamboozle Gillis again with this Booth trade? Could we be stuck with a massive contract on a player who is considered to have low IQ hockey sense and is a little uncomfortably religious to be around?
posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=117244
RoyalDude wrote:Do you think David Booth leaves a stack of Awake Magazines at the entrance to the Canucks dressing room?

Actually, after reading these and other posts of yours, I think the real reason you hate Booth is that there were suggestions that the team could have got rid of Raymond with the arrival of Booth and you do have a"thing" for ol Mase don't ya? :)
What a waste of time that was eh UK! Are you taking a breather now? Where have I denied not being optimistic with Booth's arrival way back?

And another thing, even if Booth miraculously grows a new brain and becomes a great hockey player I won't lay off on the Holy Roller Bible Thumper, bear baiter slags.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Speaking of which, who isn't impressed with how well Raymond has returned? He looks like he did the year he scored 25/25. If he can continue playing this well I would hate to see him walk(yes RD...you told us so!)
Much to the chagrin of everyone around here. All this after couple injuries, nearly becoming a paraplegic. Whoops, only Booth and Malhotra are allowed injury excuses around here.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Rd its really very simple..us half full glassers...hate our tither dampened
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

rats19 wrote:Rd its really very simple..us half full glassers...hate our tither dampened
That's a great sig rats!
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
rats19 wrote:Rd its really very simple..us half full glassers...hate our tither dampened
That's a great sig rats!
I shall contemplate your suggestion further. Once my tither dries
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: a team that was not playing inspired hockey at the time.

It's funny how the Panthers really improved once Booth was gone, nice run into the playoffs they had last season. Once the trade was consummated. Uninspired hockey you say? Well, there was some definite inspiration their after the trade. Hmmmm
I am pretty sure the Panthers improvement was mostly due to Marco Sturm.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Actually, after reading these and other posts of yours, I think the real reason you hate Booth is that there were suggestions that the team could have got rid of Raymond with the arrival of Booth and you do have a"thing" for ol Mase don't ya? :)
What a waste of time that was eh UK! Are you taking a breather now? Where have I denied not being optimistic with Booth's arrival way back?

And another thing, even if Booth miraculously grows a new brain and becomes a great hockey player I won't lay off on the Holy Roller Bible Thumper, bear baiter slags.
Nice try at deflecting there RD.....fact is you just got well and truly owned by uk.

Flip flop. Flip flop. Flip flop......

:roll:
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Potatoe1 wrote: I agree but I'm a lot more concerned about the blue line then the forwards.
Yeah, last month I mentioned how the team needed one more guy on D who could push to play everyday. The only way we get a guy like that or better is a trade, and that best bet would be a potential Luongo trade unless the main piece coming back is a forward.

However, I think they can get away with one injury to the top six. Considering how the coaching staff deploy their D pairings, I can see them giving one of Alberts or Barker 14-15 protected minutes and not see a considerable drop off in team defense. They could give the top 4 more minutes, and that's not a bad thing in a pinch when no one on this blue-line plays really big minutes.
Potatoe1 wrote: As for Ebbett, I think he clears anyway.
I think it depends on what's going on elsewhere in the league with injuries or depth, but he's a guy who has cleared before and could definitely clear again.

My point with Ebbett was more in response to suggestions that he has no value to the team.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

coco_canuck wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote: I agree but I'm a lot more concerned about the blue line then the forwards.
Yeah, last month I mentioned how the team needed one more guy on D who could push to play everyday. The only way we get a guy like that or better is a trade, and that best bet would be a potential Luongo trade unless the main piece coming back is a forward.

However, I think they can get away with one injury to the top six. Considering how the coaching staff deploy their D pairings, I can see them giving one of Alberts or Barker 14-15 protected minutes and not see a considerable drop off in team defense. They could give the top 4 more minutes, and that's not a bad thing in a pinch when no one on this blue-line plays really big minutes.
Good points Coco.

Did you notice that the D was switching around last night especially after the game got out of reach?

There was the dreaded Bieksa + Ballard pair, which didn't look as bad as it had previously.
Makes things easier later when there is the inevitable injury to the top 4 D