GDT: Feb 7 Canucks @ Wild 5:00 PM SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Feb 7 Canucks @ Wild 5:00 PM SNet

Post by Topper »

I take that as a yes.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm surprised Pacific Blue hasn't mentioned Dale Weise getting into a couple pier 6 ers.
C'mon Blobby Beers...I know you are an aficionado of the hockey bruhaha mayhem so don't sit there and tell me that you are a fan of the Dale Weise fighting style which is um, quite Dana Murzyn, embarrassing to be honest. The guy has no proper fighting technique or skill, his whole game plan is too just hang in there, huggy bear, and not get hurt. His punches are of the Trevor Linden style, terrible. I will take the exciting, gutsier, toe to toe style of the Volpatti's and Rypiens of the world any day of the week.
They should have given Weise a double minor for holding in each " fight " .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote:I saw part of last nights game (2nd period and top 1/2 of the 3rd) and what I saw was the Wild dominating for much of it. They were more physical and winning more puck battles along the boards while hemming Vancouver in there own zone. They just could not score and could not keep the puck out of their own net when Vancouver did get a chance. Backstrom did not make the saves when he needed to.

The game was much closer than the score reflects.
Mini was the better team in the second but the Canucks totally dominated the 1'st and were probably the better team in the 3rd as well.

Pretty normal for a team that is down by 2 to carry the play.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Topper wrote:I saw part of last nights game (2nd period and top 1/2 of the 3rd) and what I saw was the Wild dominating for much of it. They were more physical and winning more puck battles along the boards while hemming Vancouver in there own zone. They just could not score and could not keep the puck out of their own net when Vancouver did get a chance. Backstrom did not make the saves when he needed to.

Mini was the better team in the second but the Canucks totally dominated the 1'st and were probably the better team in the 3rd as well.

^
this... :thumbs:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I'm surprised Pacific Blue hasn't mentioned Dale Weise getting into a couple pier 6 ers.
C'mon Blobby Beers...I know you are an aficionado of the hockey bruhaha mayhem so don't sit there and tell me that you are a fan of the Dale Weise fighting style which is um, quite Dana Murzyn, embarrassing to be honest. The guy has no proper fighting technique or skill, his whole game plan is too just hang in there, huggy bear, and not get hurt. His punches are of the Trevor Linden style, terrible. I will take the exciting, gutsier, toe to toe style of the Volpatti's and Rypiens of the world any day of the week.
Ha, those were some pretty fierce noougies that Weise was throwing.

Gotta hand it to Dale though, he did hang in there against a prety tough dude.

Over all he is turning into a decent role player, hits, fights (sorta), skates hard, kills some penalties, and plays tough defensive minutes. As long as the canucks keep his salary down close to the minimum, Weise is a decent asset.

Ryp and Hordi were certainly a lot tougher then Weise and Volpatti, but it's nice to have a 4th line that can actually take regular shifts with out getting torched defensively.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Potatoe1 wrote:

So you say Vancouver was sitting back?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Topper wrote: So you say Vancouver was sitting back?
I don't believe in the whole AV tells them to "sit back" thing.

I believe that when a team goes down by 2 they typically play with a lot more urgency and typically out chance the team that is in front.

Many fans view this as their team changing it's strategy but in most cases it's the result of the losing team playing harder and the winning team playing with less urgency.

Last night the Canucks played almost a textbook game in the first period, the Wild pushed hard to get back into it, and late in the game when it was out of reach the Canucks took over again.

Thats how I saw it anyway.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It didn't seem to be so much "sitting back" as making simple, smart plays which frustrated and stifled the Wild. They were pushing pretty hard after we schooled them bad in the first by calmly headmanning the puck out of our zone with accurate, tape to tape passes. Once we got the 2 goal lead the defensemen were pushing the puck deep on the Wild on the O-zone rather than forcing higher risk shots from the point.
Vancouver played with a defensive conscience better than any other game I've seen them play this year. They moved the puck efficiently out of their zone and scored some timely goals. I viewed it as a step in the right direction as far as protecting their own zone. Minni did manage to create some turnovers through outmanning us on the half board wall but we were good at keeping them to the outside of the slot and clearing traffic from in front of Schneider.
If you need air...call it in
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Vancouver played with a defensive conscience better than any other game I've seen them play this year. They moved the puck efficiently out of their zone and scored some timely goals. I viewed it as a step in the right direction as far as protecting their own zone. Minni did manage to create some turnovers through outmanning us on the half board wall but we were good at keeping them to the outside of the slot and clearing traffic from in front of Schneider.
Yeah I agree, the puck support in the first was just fantastic. On every play there seemed to be more then one option for an outlet pass and the game is pretty easy when that's the case.

They got out worked in the second but the defensive structure was there through out the game.

I would like to see them score more goals but you can win a lot of hockey games with excellent goal tending and a tight defensive game.

I love the defensive pairings right now. Edler is still adjusting to the right side but he seems more comfortable with Hamhuis. Bieksa and Garrison have also looked steady which is a big plus given Bieksa hasn't played well with anyone other then Hamhuis and Garrison is still finding his way with a new team.

Biggest positive though is the 3rd pairing who led the team in even strength ice time. When you can play your 3rd pairing that much at even strength and not have them hurt you, it's a huge plus.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Ha, those were some pretty fierce noougies that Weise was throwing.

Gotta hand it to Dale though, he did hang in there against a prety tough dude.

Over all he is turning into a decent role player, hits, fights (sorta), skates hard, kills some penalties, and plays tough defensive minutes. As long as the canucks keep his salary down close to the minimum, Weise is a decent asset.

Ryp and Hordi were certainly a lot tougher then Weise and Volpatti, but it's nice to have a 4th line that can actually take regular shifts with out getting torched defensively.
Never really liked Hordichuck, not exactly a rocket surgeon out there...but yeah it's shaping up on the fourth line. I'm liking buddy Weise r
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Potatoe1 wrote:
Last night the Canucks played almost a textbook game in the first period, the Wild pushed hard to get back into it, and late in the game when it was out of reach the Canucks took over again.

Thats how I saw it anyway.
Wild looked pathetic in the 1st.
They were stuck in their own zone by our 3rd line, then by our 4th. :lol:
RoyalDude wrote:
I get the impression that Weise isn't interested in being the tough guy, but on working up to a regular player, he just fights because someone has to do it.
The second fight he was looking like "Are you kidding me?"

Wild had nothing else to give so they had to fight to make it look like they were in the game
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Kenopka went full retard in the turd.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yup, I knew a team was gonna win by 3 goals! :thumbs:

There is something horribly wrong with the Wild.

Here's hoping they never figure it out.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Just thought I'd reserve tomorrows GDT as I am a perfect 2-0. F*** with a streak at your own peril.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Benjo wrote:Kenopka went full retard in the turd.
As dumb as it was, I do get the idea of trying to entertain the crowd. Zenon is not Minnesota nice.