GDT...blahcocks n nucks

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT...blahcocks n nucks

Post by Meds »

So that was a nice win against the Hawks, Luongo stole the game.

Edler had one of his better games in a while, though he still needs to work on keeping the puck in at the point.

Our top line was really going tonight, there was a real sense of ancticipation when they would setup in the offensive zone.

Burrows had a strong game, so did Hansen again. Higgins is a passenger on that line.

Raymond and Schreoder really move around out there and when they are moving their feet can really keep the opposition chasing.

Powerplay was brutal. Raymond hustled right off the get go and drew an early penalty.....team squandered it. The 5-on-3 was a gong show. I have never seen a team unable to gain the offensive zone with a two man advantage before.....the Canucks are great for firsts. Watching Chicago on the PP was like watching a master artisan ply his trade when compared to the Canucks. Move around, pass, move without the puck, support the puck carrier as he moves, get open, find lanes, keep the PK chasing and scrambling, don't let the defenders set up. Well executed, Lou held the fort though. The Canucks stood still. I don't think there is another team in the league (outside of Calgary) that is so motionless on the PP. Pointmen are static with the exception of Garrison. Man in front does his job trying to screen. Other skaters just stand there waiting for a pass while the puck carrier moves a couple of feet either way looking for a passing lane to open up. Every team in the league must just love playing us.....oh here comes the Canucks PP, I can hear opposing coaches now, "Alright guys, just box up, take away passing lanes to the middle, and get in front of the point men when the pass goes back there. You won't have to exhaust yourselves chasing anyone so long as you don't go into the corners after the Sedins. Mild pressure on the point will result in a screw up or a dump back to the corner, so then just drop back to your box and let them kill this penalty for us. God am I glad Vigneault can't coach offense, with the players he has a PP could really spell trouble for us."

Fuck sakes. Nothing kills the Canucks momentum like a powerplay.

Hamhuis just doesn't look good out there this year. Slow, bad reads, missed defensive assignments and whiffing on clearing attempts. He needs to get re-engaged.

A better game for the team. Still gave up a lead in the 3rd period, but Luongo earned the team a win. It is something to build upon.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Most entertaining game of the season!

Just like last year when Cory went on fire AV just kept playing him, and now Luongo is on fire, AV has to keep playing him while he's in the zone, we need every possible point to make the playoffs...keep riding the hot hand.

Happy AV went out of his comfort zone a bit on the shootout, putting in Schroeder finally! I'd like to see Ray/Higgins get a shot at it as well.

It's a treat to see Kassian throw his weight around like a bawse, something we missed since the Bertuzzi WCE days.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

[quote="Mëds"][quote="rats19"]I am so happy we came to play...good job boys.[/quote]

Ummmm.....what?

Did you watch the same game as me Rats?

We showed up and owned the first 20 minutes.....then it was pretty much all Chicago until the final horn.

This game was Luongo's for 65 minutes and 4 shooters. One of the best games I have ever seen him play.[/quote]
Creds where creds Is due Mëds.....check the time of my post.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rats19 wrote:
Ummmm.....what?

Did you watch the same game as me Rats?

We showed up and owned the first 20 minutes.....then it was pretty much all Chicago until the final horn.

This game was Luongo's for 65 minutes and 4 shooters. One of the best games I have ever seen him play.
Creds where creds Is due Mëds.....check the time of my post.[/quote]

Ya hit the nail on the head my good friend. We played well in the first but the Hawks pretty much owned the rest of the game. We still can't score and we rely heavily on our goaltending to save the game. And when they (Cory or Roberto) shit the bed, let in a few, we blame them, instead of putting the blame where it really counts, we can't score. We can't put games away.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

We won. It is nice to have this record when we are missing Kes and to a lesser extent Booth. We are basically missing our second line and our PP without Kes as well as the best part of our PK. We have started better this year than any recent without all of the mentioned and the so called goalie controversy.

I thought this was a fan site and not one for frustrated sports reporters. We won! Our team is 4-2-2 and all may of you can do is bitch. Rats says they showed up and draws out the usual suspects.

We did not own the whole 65 minutes they say

We did not do well on the PP

And of course, AV does not know what he is doing.

Are some of you sure you do not realy love the Lames or the Coil? If so, say so and stop pretending you see the game like a god of hockey. Not only is it predictable but is is boring. Is there another site for canuck fans?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote:We won. It is nice to have this record when we are missing Kes and to a lesser extent Booth. We are basically missing our second line and our PP without Kes as well as the best part of our PK. We have started better this year than any recent without all of the mentioned and the so called goalie controversy.

I thought this was a fan site and not one for frustrated sports reporters. We won! Our team is 4-2-2 and all may of you can do is bitch. Rats says they showed up and draws out the usual suspects.

Are some of you sure you do not realy love the Lames or the Coil? If so, say so and stop pretending you see the game like a god of hockey. Not only is it predictable but is is boring. Is there another site for canuck fans?
What's wrong with analyzing your team, I'm a Canuck junkie. I am sorry I cannot be a pom pom cheering bubblehead fan like you want me to be.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

damonberryman wrote:We won. It is nice to have this record when we are missing Kes and to a lesser extent Booth. We are basically missing our second line and our PP without Kes as well as the best part of our PK. We have started better this year than any recent without all of the mentioned and the so called goalie controversy.

For some dudes this place is called Canuck scorner... :D
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

ukcanuck wrote: For some dudes this place is called Canuck scorner... :D
Ya...Corny/Rats/Brian, can y'all put a hyphen in the website address and title maybe???
It's generating some seriously negative shit 'round 'ere!!
If you need air...call it in
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
What's wrong with analyzing your team, I'm a Canuck junkie. I am sorry I cannot be a pom pom cheering bubblehead fan like you want me to be.
I agree we should have finished it on the 5 vs 3. We have let teams "hang around". Chicago, we definitely don't want to do this, the will eat you. We we're lucky Lu was awesome in the shootout.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

The game wasn't a masterpiece, that's for sure.

Our D-zone coverage is still struggling with plays off the wall and from behind the net but they are improving somewhat at least which will continue I would assume. They have stopped chasing and running around as much and this is why CHI appeared to have so much zone time in our end, they really didn't penetrate our slot that much and were kept to the outside for the most part.

That really was Luongos' best game in 3-4 years. It's nice to steal 2 points when we don't really deserve it...how many times have we lost games like this when we were the ones dominating play?

Schroeder is looking like a player I'm happy to say. Good wheels, defensive awareness, sweet hands. I honestly can't say he looks too small, especially when you play a highly skilled team like Chicago.

Malhotra leads the NHL in faceoff winning percentage at 70%?? Serious?

All in all a win is what we wanted. We got it and the page has been turned. The longer we can hang tough 'til we get Kes back the better.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The positives

Zack Kassian - I am eating cow regarding Zack, really impressed and thinks Gillis and his team did well on this trade. Great heads up play on Edlers goal

Roberto Luongo - I am a huge fan of both of our goalies, but Lou is Lou of old right now, love it. Cory is good but when Lou is on, he don't compare.

The 3rd pairing - Gotta say, Ballard and Tanev are really impressing me. To the point of not wanting to trade Ballard and if push comes to shove to clear cap room, Booth is the odd man out. Great chemistry between Tanev and Ballard.

Schroeder - Love this kid. Speed, hustle, he actually hits. I can see a day, maybe, where this kid is more valuable to this team than Hodgson ever would be. Also love the chemistry between him and Raymond. They think the game the same. Schroeder still gets a little lost positionally in the offensive zone. Still needs work on finding the open spaces to get himself in to the play, but other than than really impressed. I will be pissed if Schroeder is the odd man out when we are completely healthy.

Mason Raymond - Who is this guy right now?

Jannik Hansen - Just love the guys try every shift.

The Negatives

The Higgins, Burrows, Hansen line - No Chemistry. Like all three guys, but no chemistry.

Manny Malhotra - Although doing his usual in the circle, outside of that he completely sucks

Hamhius - What's the deal

The Sedins - Saw something better from them last night but they are still not up to snuff.

Offense - We still lack it. And puleease do not mention, Booth. This has been a problem even with both Kesler and Booth in the line-up. We use to get a ton of our offense from the support of our Defense and I honestly think the loss of Erhoff has a lot to do with the anemic offense we are getting. We got solid top 4 D, but none of them are GREAT offensively. Plus, the presence of Erhoff had a real affect on Edler's game. Edler was at his best when Erhoff was around.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

RoyalDude wrote:The positives

Zack Kassian - I am eating cow regarding Zack, really impressed and thinks Gillis and his team did well on this trade.

Gotta say, Ballard and Tanev are really impressing me. To the point of not wanting to trade Ballard

Schroeder - Love this kid. Speed, hustle, he actually hits. I can see a day, maybe, where this kid is more valuable to this team than Hodgson ever would be.
Dude that's 3 out of 4 of your "goats" that you've been ranting about for 18 months(ok Zack maybe less)... What will you do if Boothy(yes, Boothy) comes back and lights it up??

Maybe you should let up on the Gillis. His moves need time to mature...sorta like the barrel full of grappa you're hiding in your cantina
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I can finally agree with RD's ' positive ' comments.... first time for everything...good post.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ya hit the nail on the head my good friend. We played well in the first but the Hawks pretty much owned the rest of the game. We still can't score and we rely heavily on our goaltending to save the game. And when they (Cory or Roberto) shit the bed, let in a few, we blame them, instead of putting the blame where it really counts, we can't score. We can't put games away.
RD, did most of us not praise Luongo's performance last night? So if he shits the bed, he should not take the blame as well? What kind of logic is that?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:Vancouver 2 cocks 1
Daniel with the winner

Kassian, Weisse and Volpatti rack up the PiMs...
Less physical than I was expecting but definitely turned out with the close score.

I was surprised at the way the Canucks carried the play in the first, but even more surprised with the way they ran out of gas in the third... guess the fitness level isn't there yet.