GDT: Jan 28 - Canucks @ Kings 7:30PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Jan 28 - Canucks @ Kings 7:30PM PST TSN

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:
When you are fully expecting a start like this, it really doesn't bother you.
So, the Canucks are only team in the league worthy enough of this mulligan of an excuse?

I dig your hockey insight Pot, but Canuck fans are the best at adapting new excuses to whatever the situation. OK so, if you are right, when should we be expecting the 'SWITCH' to 'FLIP TO THE ON POSITION'? I mean shite, didn't we go through this whole mysterious flip switching scenario last half of the previous season and into the playoffs with Booth and Kesler in the line-up?

I really do hope you are right cause I certainly do not want to go through another season of you guys waxing on about some sort of magical 'SWITCH' that is apparently going to happen.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Not at all worried at the team yet. 3 games have gone to shootouts and could have gone either way. The season opener was an exhibition game and the Ducks were more in tune then. That really only leaves the San Jose game as one to forget.

Maybe starting the season in January helps Luongo get over his slow starts? I hope that we keep them both until the summer.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote: I dig your hockey insight Pot, but Canuck fans are the best at adapting new excuses to whatever the situation. OK so, if you are right, when should we be expecting the 'SWITCH' to 'FLIP TO THE ON POSITION'?
The slow start was an easy prediction. First of all this group almost always starts slowly and that's with a full preseason and a normally healthy roster.

The bigger problem however was the fact that none of our vets played in Europe.

Throw in a 6 game over 10 days stretch and a slow start was a forgone conclusion.

I'm hoping that they can hold the .500 record through game 10, and by that time they have a 3 game in 9 day stretch where they can hopefully get some recovery and practice time in.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Potatoe1 wrote: The slow start was an easy prediction. First of all this group almost always starts slowly and that's with a full preseason and a normally healthy roster.

Throw in a 6 game over 10 days stretch and a slow start was a forgone conclusion.

I'm hoping that they can hold the .500 record through game 10, and by that time they have a 3 game in 9 day stretch where they can hopefully get some recovery and practice time in.
UMMMM EXCUSE ME.... CAN YOU PLEASE STOP BRINGING LOGIC INTO THE DISCUSSION!!

YOU'RE ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER WILL BE APPRECIATED.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I dig your hockey insight Pot, but Canuck fans are the best at adapting new excuses to whatever the situation. OK so, if you are right, when should we be expecting the 'SWITCH' to 'FLIP TO THE ON POSITION'?
The slow start was an easy prediction. First of all this group almost always starts slowly and that's with a full preseason and a normally healthy roster.

But how can it be a slow start if it's the best team start since 2008?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Potatoe1 wrote:

But how can it be a slow start if it's the best team start since 2008?
puts it into perspective as to how slow the other years actually were...lol

its still hard to be a canuck fan...wouldnt change it for the world
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Sure you can jump up and down and say this guy sucks and that guy should be traded but lets all take a breath and see this for what it is. A shootout loss. A 3-in-4-night .500 road trip playing a team that blew us out, the hottest team out of the gate and the SC champs. They can't really be that unhappy...honestly.
Now the team gets a few days rest and recovery and probably have already turned the page...maybe we should too.

One positive is the exceptional play of Zack Kassian.
Another is that Schroeder doesn't look like he is out of his league paying in the NHL. He has NHL speed and hands. I honestly didn't think he would do this well and he is far from finished developing.
How about the play of Ballard and Tanev? They have proven to be a pretty good 3rd pairing, maybe our best. while we wait for the top 4 to bring their games back to where they should be, we are lucky to have these guys playing this well.

So take it for what it is. The teams that have shot out of the gate are often the ones who play like crap by the end of the year(see Toronto, Minnesota,etc).
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Potatoe1 wrote:

I guess the whole switch flipping thingy grew pretty old last season and into the playoffs.

Here's what I don't get, last year we used the 'not rested' card up like no other, now we are running with the 'too well rested' card. So can u at least dig it as to why ole chef boi RD here is growing tired of all u cats drumming up an excuse for everything instead of calling a spade a spade?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

No worry boys, the season is still early.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Now the team gets a few days rest and recovery
You might be taking the AVs a little too lightly. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:.

No worry boys, the season is still early.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Now the team gets a few days rest and recovery
You might be taking the AVs a little too lightly. :wink:
a couple?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Uncle dans leg wrote: a couple?
Try again. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Ok...44.75 hours and not a second less*

*dependent on exactly how much sleep is achieved during the flight and taxi ride home of course.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don Cherry's tweets
1. I know the Sedin's are not setting the world on fire but they sure are helping Kassian. And they were +1 in a 3-2 loss to LA

2. The thing is they're not getting any shots but believe it or not, Henrik led the team in hits with 4. So they're giving an effort.

3. Jarret Stoll had 8 hits for LA, he's a warrior
Ya know things are a bit awry when Hank led the team in hits! :?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Slow starts are common with this team, there is no question.

Shootouts could go either way, but they haven't.....but the fact of the matter is that the team blew 2 goal leads on each ocassion.

Garrison is NOT responsible for Edler's turnovers or soft play. He is responsible for his turnovers and whiffed on clearing attempts. He is having difficulty adjusting to a system where players aren't expected to create options for the puck carrier. I prefer his approach, our rigid system on offense kills us in so many areas.

The team needs to work on lifting the puck in close on cross crease passes and rebound attempts.

Raymond is shooting well. He seems to have let his slapper fall by the wayside in favour of a wrist shot, and he's taking those shots from areas that are closer to, or in, the slot. Much more effective than his half-board slapper into the goalie's chest.

A slow start is survivable in an 82 game season. If the season had started in October the Canucks would be a .500 team with 93% of the season still in front of them, and as they are slow starters they would probably carry this trend into the 10 game mark. So they would have 88% of the season remaining to right the ship, have a slump, and still finish in good standing. Right now they are 6 games in, playing uninspired .500 hockey, and have 87% of the season left, if they carry this trend to the 10 game mark they will have 79% of the season to work with. The compressed season means that slow starting teams burn their bridge early. They don't have the luxury of another 4+ game stretch where they can play .500 or less. I still don't think massive changes are needed to the roster, but a change behind the bench seems inevitable.....I will happily eat those words though.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Mëds wrote:Slow starts are common with this team, there is no question.

Shootouts could go either way, but they haven't.....but the fact of the matter is that the team blew 2 goal leads on each ocassion.

Garrison is NOT responsible for Edler's turnovers or soft play. He is responsible for his turnovers and whiffed on clearing attempts. He is having difficulty adjusting to a system where players aren't expected to create options for the puck carrier. I prefer his approach, our rigid system on offense kills us in so many areas.

The team needs to work on lifting the puck in close on cross crease passes and rebound attempts.

Raymond is shooting well. He seems to have let his slapper fall by the wayside in favour of a wrist shot, and he's taking those shots from areas that are closer to, or in, the slot. Much more effective than his half-board slapper into the goalie's chest.

A slow start is survivable in an 82 game season. If the season had started in October the Canucks would be a .500 team with 93% of the season still in front of them, and as they are slow starters they would probably carry this trend into the 10 game mark. So they would have 88% of the season remaining to right the ship, have a slump, and still finish in good standing. Right now they are 6 games in, playing uninspired .500 hockey, and have 87% of the season left, if they carry this trend to the 10 game mark they will have 79% of the season to work with. The compressed season means that slow starting teams burn their bridge early. They don't have the luxury of another 4+ game stretch where they can play .500 or less. I still don't think massive changes are needed to the roster, but a change behind the bench seems inevitable.....I will happily eat those words though.
Garrison played with Bieksa the last 1.66 games. So, I agree he shouldn't be blamed for Edler's play.

Vancouver had a worst start last year and were 8 points clear after 48 games.