GDT: Jan 25 - Nucks @ Ducks 7:00PM SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Jan 25 - Nucks @ Ducks 7:00PM SNET-P

Post by 2Fingers »

DIdn't see the 2nd and 3rd period.

How did Schneider play in his shutout?

Glad Ballard played a good game as we need 6 good D men since one always seems to get injured.

Did Raymond actually play that good to get 2 goals?

What is up with Bobby Ryan no points in his games this season.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

cjc wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Calgary_Canuck wrote:Alright which one of you bought off the refs tonight. :)
Yup, good win but could've been a very different story had the PP's been even.

Btw, I'm not one to gripe about AV (enough of you out there), but I'm a little miffed why we didn't see Schroeder on the garbage time PP's. We don't need another goal but you had a free opportunity to possibly give the kid a bit of confidence..you gain nothing with Ebbett and Lappy out there.
I don't know the minutes played but it looked like Schroeder played quite a bit in comparison to some of the other guys who Vigneault threw out at the end for the PP. With the Canucks up 5-0 it was a good move by Vigneault to give that time to guys who sat for good stretches of the game. If anything I think this means Schroeder has bought himself a few more games.

Yeah he did get quite a bit of PP time before garbage time. No complaints there. I just feel with the massive hole at center for what could be several months we're best served trying to accelerate the kid's learning process by getting him in as many minutes as you can afford. That seemed like a great opportunity with the game already over and nothing to lose..especially right after his first point. Reward him..who knows, if he pots one on the PP, he's sky high right now knowing he can put up points in the bigs.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Reefer2 wrote:DIdn't see the 2nd and 3rd period.

How did Schneider play in his shutout?

Glad Ballard played a good game as we need 6 good D men......

Schneids was at his best in the period you saw...that's what won us the game imo.

Yes, Raymond was that good...his best play was when he didn't score, when he was in a scrum in the Ducks crease taking crosschecks to the head by Getzlaf and drawing a penalty. He didn't do anything spectacular there...it's just where he was.

Ballard had a good game and Tanev's impressive again. Loved Edler's aggressiveness tonight..his most physical game by far. What I liked most about our D is all six played almost the same amount. Nobody's standing out too much but there's also no bottom pair right now. Very balanced..not sure how often I've seen that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Defensively each pair has moments where they get caught running around but yes, the best 1-6 so far this season. And ya Edler was a hitting machine tonight, so was Ballard and Hamhuis. They played physical which is what they need to do. Offensively the D was in on the rush all night. Hell Tanev very nearly got his first.

And yes, Raymond had an outstanding game. He looked in total control every time he had the puck and he played well in the D zone as ell. Tonight when he was skating with the puck you felt something good was going to happen. He has his confidence back which makes me feel confident. He plays very well with Schroeder. I think you have to keep Schroeder up now and let him develop some real chemistry with Raymond and Hansen. When Booth gets back Schroeder may be a better fit at centre for Booth than Kesler. A speedy line of Raymond, Booth and Schroeder could be a thing of beauty. Kesler with Burrows and Hansen/Higgins. That would give AV a lot of players to select for the fourth line with a healthy Lappy at centre.
The only HW the Canucks need
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

If Hodgson were still here he'd be able to center that 4th line nicely :lol: :lol:
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

CrzyCanuck wrote:If Hodgson were still here he'd be able to center that 4th line nicely :lol: :lol:
Speaking of silent G... All quiet on the RD front tonight, all his whipping boys must have had a good night :):):)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:SKYO where can a brother find some peyote ?
Straight is better blobcat....just takes some time to figure it out.
I was joking rats.

Another win and now we have 2 guys in the top ten in GF. The Ducks were brutal last night.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:
CrzyCanuck wrote:If Hodgson were still here he'd be able to center that 4th line nicely :lol: :lol:
Speaking of silent G... All quiet on the RD front tonight, all his whipping boys must have had a good night :):):)
I was having a great night until I learned that Malhotra wasn't scratched for bad play but his wife popped out a new one, I congratulate the Malhotra family for the new one, but Manny my good man, you should be sitting in the press box.

I guarantee ya, as soon as Schroeder makes a rookie mistake AV's got him on the red-eye back to Chicago.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

ukcanuck wrote:
Maybe the players like Ballard, Raymond, and Kassian read all the negative threads on CC and it motivates them. One game like this does not mean they have totally turned it around, but it sure is encouraging.

R D just guananteed that Malhotra will light it up when he plays next.
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Hockey Widow wrote:Defensively each pair has moments where they get caught running around but yes, the best 1-6 so far this season.
I was surprised to see that Ballard/Tanev had over 18 minutes each last night. That must be close to a career high for Tanev. Granted, once the game is out of reach you might as well roll the pairings, but it's good to see a solid bottom pairing rather than having to ride the top 4 for 25 minutes each.

Add Schroder, then get Kesler and Booth back.... suddenly that's a deep group. Higgins might spend time in the press box when we're healthy.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:SKYO where can a brother find some peyote ?
Straight is better blobcat....just takes some time to figure it out.
I was joking rats.

Another win and now we have 2 guys in the top ten in GF. The Ducks were brutal last night.
Glad blob.....these binges are concern enough..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

darren wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Defensively each pair has moments where they get caught running around but yes, the best 1-6 so far this season.
I was surprised to see that Ballard/Tanev had over 18 minutes each last night. That must be close to a career high for Tanev. Granted, once the game is out of reach you might as well roll the pairings, but it's good to see a solid bottom pairing rather than having to ride the top 4 for 25 minutes each.

Add Schroder, then get Kesler and Booth back.... suddenly that's a deep group. Higgins might spend time in the press box when we're healthy.
Most deserving of top 9 when Kes and Booth get back (Yes, I will allow Booth 3 games to prove me wrong)

Sedin
Sedin
Kassian

Kesler
Booth
Burrows

Raymond
Schroeder
Hansen

4th line players top 3 players

Weise
Lappiere
Volpatti

Press Box

Higgins
Malhotra

I like the chemistry between Schroeder and Raymond, skilled puck possesion guys with good hockey sense, would hate to break that up but I worry about the lack of strength on that line. Hansen is playing great hockey right now, but I like Weise playing with Schroeder and Raymond. I know there is a crazy high love affair for Booth around here (not sure why), but I see a great 2nd line with Burrows, Kesler and Hansen and a great 3rd line with Schroeder, Raymond and Weise. 4th line should be Lappiere, Volpatti and Higgins I guess. If Kassian continues to impress he should stay with the Sedins. He's finally starting to live up to why he was brought in. Should keep opposing teams a little more honest in brutalizing the Sedins.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote: Glad blob.....these binges are concern enough..
What binges ? Christ rats you talk like I am drinking mouthwash out of a paper bag. I'm not the dude.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Some thoughts:

- Schneider was strong early on. Kept the boys in it when their legs weren't under them for the first few minutes, and cruised to the SO. Very encouraging play for him last night. Full marks to our goalie for the SO.

- Best game I can recall seeing from the Ballard/Tanev pairing. Maybe there is hope yet for Ballard? Both played a very strong two way game, and actually looked dangerous offensively for a change. They got some PP time near the end, and Tanev showed a nice shot and nearly scored his first through a screen.

- The Hamhuis/Bieksa pairing continues to look a bit lost at times. They'll get it going sooner or later, but I'd prefer sooner. Nice to see a bit of that old snarl from Bieksa. Hamhuis looks weak at times...maybe he hasn't been eating his Wheaties?

- The Sedins are starting to find their rhythm. Kassian didn't play as well as the games against the Alberta team, but still managed to pot a goal on a pretty good shot. That was a really tough angle...I know I would've missed!

- Garrison is looking like a home run FA signing. We haven't seen much of that wicked shot, but he is very noticeable at both ends of the rink, in positive ways of course. He has a very calm presence with the puck, and has been great in his own zone.

- I am really liking Schroeder's game. I had no idea what to expect as I haven't seen more than a handful of Wolves' games, but the kid has big league skating and his positioning is very good. Defensively he has been good, which bodes well for him sticking. In his two games he could have had two goals as he has had open looks out front in each game. I'd like to see more of his shot, which I believe is pretty good. It goes without saying that he has been much better than Ebbett.

- Even when Kesler is back, I'd like to see Schroeder play. Now that would give the top 9 a ridiculous amount of flexibility. Lapierre belongs on the 4th line.

- Volpatti with a nice effort. More of that, not to mention fewer injuries, and he might stick in the NHL.

- Hiller played like shite.

- Corey Perry is such a punk ass bitch. Shorthouse nailed it when he called him the worst loser in the NHL.

- It must really suck for Ryan Getzlaf that he's so bald.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
rats19 wrote: Glad blob.....these binges are concern enough..
What binges ? Christ rats you talk like I am drinking mouthwash out of a paper bag. I'm not the dude.
Sorry to infer...just showing I care zall..glad Its not an issue...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….