GDT: Jan 25 - Nucks @ Ducks 7:00PM SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Jan 25 - Nucks @ Ducks 7:00PM SNET-P

Post by Chef Boi RD »

herb wrote:Some thoughts:

- Schneider was strong early on. Kept the boys in it when their legs weren't under them for the first few minutes, and cruised to the SO. Very encouraging play for him last night. Full marks to our goalie for the SO.

- Best game I can recall seeing from the Ballard/Tanev pairing. Maybe there is hope yet for Ballard? Both played a very strong two way game, and actually looked dangerous offensively for a change. They got some PP time near the end, and Tanev showed a nice shot and nearly scored his first through a screen.

- The Hamhuis/Bieksa pairing continues to look a bit lost at times. They'll get it going sooner or later, but I'd prefer sooner. Nice to see a bit of that old snarl from Bieksa. Hamhuis looks weak at times...maybe he hasn't been eating his Wheaties?

- The Sedins are starting to find their rhythm. Kassian didn't play as well as the games against the Alberta team, but still managed to pot a goal on a pretty good shot. That was a really tough angle...I know I would've missed!

- Garrison is looking like a home run FA signing. We haven't seen much of that wicked shot, but he is very noticeable at both ends of the rink, in positive ways of course. He has a very calm presence with the puck, and has been great in his own zone.

- I am really liking Schroeder's game. I had no idea what to expect as I haven't seen more than a handful of Wolves' games, but the kid has big league skating and his positioning is very good. Defensively he has been good, which bodes well for him sticking. In his two games he could have had two goals as he has had open looks out front in each game. I'd like to see more of his shot, which I believe is pretty good. It goes without saying that he has been much better than Ebbett.

- Even when Kesler is back, I'd like to see Schroeder play. Now that would give the top 9 a ridiculous amount of flexibility. Lapierre belongs on the 4th line.

- Volpatti with a nice effort. More of that, not to mention fewer injuries, and he might stick in the NHL.

- Hiller played like shite.

- Corey Perry is such a punk ass bitch. Shorthouse nailed it when he called him the worst loser in the NHL.

- It must really suck for Ryan Getzlaf that he's so bald.
Raymond was most likely the best forward for the Canucks in this game, two goals, flying every shift and even the likes of Herb cannot find it in himself to praise him. Nobody Loves Raymond.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

RoyalDude wrote: Most deserving of top 9 when Kes and Booth get back (Yes, I will allow Booth 3 games to prove me wrong)
I'd switch your lines.... Kesler and Booth haven't shown much together and we might want Kesler to play some SHUTDOWN HOCKEY. I recall Kesler/Burrows/Hansen was a beastly third line back when we thought of Kesler as a third liner.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Kesler Burrows Hansen (2A)
Raymond Schroeder Booth (2B)
RoyalDude wrote: If Kassian continues to impress he should stay with the Sedins. He's finally starting to live up to why he was brought in.
LOL. "finally". He's been in the NHL for 48 games.
If Schroeder/Kassian keep this up, we're (well, most of us) are going to forget about Hodgson pretty quick. Attaboy Gillis!
If my top 9 combos work... makes me wonder what we need in a Luongo trade.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

darren wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Most deserving of top 9 when Kes and Booth get back (Yes, I will allow Booth 3 games to prove me wrong)
I'd switch your lines.... Kesler and Booth haven't shown much together and we might want Kesler to play some SHUTDOWN HOCKEY. I recall Kesler/Burrows/Hansen was a beastly third line back when we thought of Kesler as a third liner.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
RoyalDude wrote: If Kassian continues to impress he should stay with the Sedins. He's finally starting to live up to why he was brought in.

LOL. "finally". He's been in the NHL for 48 games.
If Schroeder/Kassian keep this up, we're (well, most of us) are going to forget about Hodgson pretty quick. Attaboy Gillis!
If my top 9 combos work... makes me wonder what we need in a Luongo trade.
Not bad,

4th line would be

Lappiere
Weise
Volpatti

Press Box

Malhotra
Higgins
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Christ rats you talk like I am drinking mouthwash out of a paper bag.
Just rippin' it right from the bottle?
If you need air...call it in
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Nice to see the PP clicking and a much better effort from the defensive group as a whole, but this is still a one line team with a somewhat effective 3rd line that relies on its wingers and two other lines that don't dictate much pace.

Even strength play is still an issue and if the Canucks don't get good goaltending and half that many PPs, it could have been a much different story. Even though Anaheim has little depth on D, they have two strong scoring lines that really drive the puck forward and create chances on the rush. Vancouver will continue to have trouble against teams with two strong lines until Kesler returns.

Like I said, it's too early in the season to take any trends too seriously, but the Canucks have a lot of work to do to improve their even strength play if they want to build on their 2-1-1 record so far.

Seems Lapierre's groin is still bothering him and it looks like he labors a bit when he's on the ice. That's not a good thing when your only other legitimate bottom 6 centre is Malhotra. Schroeder has been solid and he can get better, which will go a long way in helping our even-strength play. Burrows is doing what he can as a Centre, but it's not an ideal situation...at least not yet.

The good news is the Canucks D, goaltending, PP and top line is coming around, so they should be able to keep their heads above water until they get some healthy bodies back on the 2nd line.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

RoyalDude wrote:Raymond was most likely the best forward for the Canucks in this game, two goals, flying every shift and even the likes of Herb cannot find it in himself to praise him. Nobody Loves Raymond.
Oooh, I meant to say something about Raymond, thanks for reminding me. Brunch was ready so I cut my post short.

Raymond played very well. Batting that puck out of mid air was very slick. Very Yakupov-esque, yet nobody was giving Raymond a big sloppy BJ like Nail...what gives?

I'm loving Raymond's hustle, his stick handling has been excellent and he is full marks for his performance this season. Raymond and Schroeder have been very good together. Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen could be a very strong, albeit it very soft, 3rd forward unit once (if) we're ever all healthy.

Everybody will love Raymond if he continues to play like this. Nobody will, however, if he reverts to his soft, button hook and fall down play from last year.

I also meant to say that the Higgins/Burrows/Hansen line was terrible. Easily the worst even strength group. No cohesion and couldn't string passes together. Basically a Chinese fire drill out there.
Last edited by herb on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: Christ rats you talk like I am drinking mouthwash out of a paper bag.
Just rippin' it right from the bottle?
Obviously you freeze it first so the minty shit freezes and the booze rises to the top.

Duh.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Raymond has looked great so far this year.

We often forget that Raymond broke his thumb and injured his shoulder before he fractured his vertebrae. The broken thumb had a huge impact on his shot which accounted for several of his 25 in 2010.

The shoulder and of course broken back had a massive impact on his willingness to use his speed and go to the dirty areas.

He's healthy and perhaps we shouldn't be as shocked as we are that he's looked this good!

Now we can only hope that the Canucks and Kesler are allowing his injuries and resulting surgeries to heal to 100%. If Kesler comes back at 100% the Canucks will look as dangerous as they have since the Cup run.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

darren wrote:I'd switch your lines.... Kesler and Booth haven't shown much together and we might want Kesler to play some SHUTDOWN HOCKEY. I recall Kesler/Burrows/Hansen was a beastly third line back when we thought of Kesler as a third liner.

Sedin Sedin Kassian
haha I remember that beast mode line, the JARhead line (Jannik, Alex, Ryan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk4hUqr ... g&index=15
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Calgary_Canuck
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Calgary_Canuck »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Now we can only hope that the Canucks and Kesler are allowing his injuries and resulting surgeries to heal to 100%. If Kesler comes back at 100% the Canucks will look as dangerous as they have since the Cup run.
The way the team is looking I hope Kesler takes his time. We are good atm. I hated the lockout, but it helped this team alot in getting rid of injuries.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Press Box

Malhotra
Higgins
LOL

Higgins isn't going to be in the press box over guys like Weiss, Volpatti, and Schroder. The guy was almost a 50 point per 82 game player last season and is excellent defensively.

He's off to a slow start just like a lot of players are, take a deep breath.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I agree on higgins, he will be a big cog in our wheel
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A few comments, since I saw some of the game.

I have never understood the hate for Raymond other than he is not a physical presence. A physical presence with Mason's skills will cost Burrows-Kesler-Booth type money. Even while hurt and not an offensive threat, he used his speed to draw penalties and hustle into a defensive role. His defensive game has always been very under rated. That said, his spot in the line up will always be up for grabs to someone more physical.

What I saw last night from him was doing more by doing less. He has always tried to go to the dirty areas, but he was always trying to do that with the puck and would inevitably be pushed off it. Last night he went to the dirty areas to just be be there and create traffic. He is still one of the best stick handlers on the team and last night he demonstrated it, but the change was, instead of trying to stickhandle his way deeper into traffic, he stickhandled out into the open.

He used his team mates far more than he has in the past.

Maybe his other ball has dropped and the next thing you know, he'll be shaving.

Schroeder was a pleasant surprise as well. I have seen little of his play since the WJC and there he was nothing more than a soft perimeter player. He was a steady rookie last night.

The Ducks were awful and I don't know how much that made the Canucks look better.

Corey Perry, everything Jerome Iginla ever wanted to be.

Hamhuis and Bieksa were terrible.

Missed Malhotra in the faceoff circle.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good stuff tops..I think mayray was effected more than we gave credit for with his thumb and shoulder...before the back. Put health and a little smarter play like you mentioned and we get last night.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I forgot that Potatoe is a massive fan of Malhotra and Higgins, the same as he was with Jeff Tambellini. Problem with Potatoe is that he evaluates players along with their off-ice like-ability and Higgins and Malhotra are off-ice superstars, but the bottom line is, Higgins and Malhotra have been our 2 worst forwards on ice to date. I myself don't give a shit how well liked they are in the dressing room, with the media and with the fans. The likes of Trent Klatt and Trevor Linden was overrated cause they were good guys off the ice. Higgins is proving right now why he quickly wears out his welcome with teams becoming one of the most well travelled journeyman's next to Mike Sillinger. But seriously Pot, Higgins has sucked for a while now. His play was terrible in the playoffs against the Kings and seemingly, it has continued on into this season. It's nothing new.