GDT Jan 23/13 Flames VS Canucks 7PM on Splortsnet Pacific

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT Jan 23/13 Flames VS Canucks 7PM on Splortsnet Pacifi

Post by 2Fingers »

For a veteran team are we surprised about the slow start.

What I did see was a lot more of the tape to tape passes by the team, especially the twins.

What is up with the ice, can the puck bounce anymore that it does? remember when the Canucks had some of best ice in the league, not it does not seem any better than the sun belt teams.

Edler had a tough game with the give aways but overall the D looked good.

Amazing what happens when a young player gets a real chance to play.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Reefer2 wrote: Amazing what happens when a young player gets a real chance to play.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with Kassian developing as a player and getting a head start by having played almost 30 AHL games already...

I'm going to avoid making detailed evaluations of the Canucks' first three games, and I probably won't read too much into what I'm seeing until another couple of weeks...but a couple of thoughts.

Kassian was great last night, but he's just 22 and game-to-game consistency will be in issue in such a compressed schedule. Veterans across the league will get their legs and games back to where they usually are in a couple of weeks, and it will be interesting to see where Kassian is at that point.

Schroeder did a solid job, best part was his positional play and ability to read his defensive and offensive responsibilities/rotations.

Ballard was a lot better and the D corps in general had a better game, but they still have a long way to go.

I don't expect this team to play up to its potential until the 9-12 game mark.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Reefer2 wrote:For a veteran team are we surprised about the slow start.
I think this is why we are having a slow start. Weise was the only player that played much at all during the lockout. Sure Schneider got a few starts and Raymond played a bit but other than that the Canucks have been working out off-ice and getting healthy.

The players that are playing really well around the league are the rookies and young guys that either played a bunch of games at the AHL level or even junior level.

Once the NHL vets get their legs it's going to be a different story. And once the defensive systems start clicking a little better we'll see the contending teams start to emerge.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Mëds wrote: It was like once we were up 2 we let off the gas a bit. This has to be coaching, Vigneault's stupid respect the opponent and don't embarrass them philosophy.....you know, the one that is never reciprocated.
You don't seriously believe AV told the team to respect the opposition, and sit back with 1/2 a game to go?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Vader wrote:
Mëds wrote: It was like once we were up 2 we let off the gas a bit. This has to be coaching, Vigneault's stupid respect the opponent and don't embarrass them philosophy.....you know, the one that is never reciprocated.
You don't seriously believe AV told the team to respect the opposition, and sit back with 1/2 a game to go?
Yeah, I may not agree with every AV decision, but I highly doubt he sent a directive to sit on a 2-goal lead midway through the game a coulpe days removed from blowing a 2-goal lead.

Three games in and the knives are as sharp as ever.

Even the jews think people are moving too fast to crucify.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

The tide turned in last nights game when we started that parade to the penalty box.

Up until that point the Flames looked like they should be playing down Hwy 1. But the powerplays gave them a sniff and some momentum.

The trouble with killing that many penalties in a row is it takes some of our players out of the game for too long. Then it can be tough to get back to the game plan once we are back at full strength.

Stay out of the box and I think we would have been fine the rest of the game!
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

coco_canuck wrote:
Reefer2 wrote: Amazing what happens when a young player gets a real chance to play.
Yeah, it has nothing to do with Kassian developing as a player and getting a head start by having played almost 30 AHL games already...

Sure it does but AV has to give him a chance to play bigger minutes. If both Booth and Kesler was playing right now I highly doubt Kassian will be getting to play with the Twins.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Reefer2 wrote:
coco_canuck wrote:

Sure it does but AV has to give him a chance to play bigger minutes. If both Booth and Kesler was playing right now I highly doubt Kassian will be getting to play with the Twins.
Maybe he would get an opportunity with Kesler and Booth . He can pass the puck, control the boards and has good hockey sense. He could be the tonic that those two pig headed yanks need. :lol: Or Burr could slide down and play with the yanks. All I know is the team depth will shoot up measurably when the injured players return. Kassian in the top 6 makes so much sense at this point.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

CFP! wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:Best thing about Schroeder in the lineup is he's potential sweetener for a better Luongo deal.
I was thinking that about Tanev, actually.

Only if there's a good young prospect defenseman with better top 4 upside as part of the package coming our way. Otherwise, no way I'm dangling Tanev. We need the depth. He's about as good of a bottom pair d-man you're going to get and he's cheap. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to sign him in the offseason at a fairly manageable raise.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Maybe he would get an opportunity with Kesler and Booth . He can pass the puck, control the boards and has good hockey sense. He could be the tonic that those two pig headed yanks need. :lol: Or Burr could slide down and play with the yanks. All I know is the team depth will shoot up measurably when the injured players return. Kassian in the top 6 makes so much sense at this point.
I agree, I hope he does stay up and either stay with the twins or move to the 2nd line with Kesler/Booth.

I know it is only 3 games in so who knows where things will be after 10 games?
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

I agree with Reefer. Very encouraged by Kassian's play but as said previously, only 3 games in. After 10 games we should have a much better sense of how he is developing.

and yes, I really miss Kesler in the line up. Hope he is healed and up to speed soon!
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Reefer2 wrote: Sure it does but AV has to give him a chance to play bigger minutes. If both Booth and Kesler was playing right now I highly doubt Kassian will be getting to play with the Twins.
I think that hypothetical assumption fits your narrative more than anything.

AV gets a bad wrap for not playing youngsters, but it's about them being able to handle those minutes. Considering that Kassian is primed due to having played so much AHL hockey, chances are he'd still get a look in the top 6 because Booth would likely be struggling just as much as the other forwards who haven't had much game action.

Like I said, Kassian has been playing well, and that's why he moved up to the top line during the Oilers game and got more ice-time last night. Novel concept, this making young players earn their ice-time thing.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

coco_canuck wrote:
Vader wrote:
People seem to forget we have a bit of a popgun offence right now. We may have the personnel to carry the play for stretches but not one that can pile on the goals to create comfortable leads. Last night's blown lead had little to do with AV's coaching but rather our inability to finish when we dominated the play for the first half, which is understandable given the lineup. Years past, a start like that would result in comfortable 3-4 goal leads and it's game over. We just don't have the horses for that right now. Hopefully that changes later when injured players come back and we get a good return from the Luongo trade. Till then get used to close games with teams like the Flames, Oilers, etc...
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:As an aside wtf is Splortsnet Pacific?
A Blue tranny channel.
Thanks, had to look that up:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=splort

Conjures up images of two guys named Luigi in fishnet stockings.

____
Try to focus on someday.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

coco_canuck wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:

AV gets a bad wrap for not playing youngsters, but it's about them being able to handle those minutes.
Yup. Schroeder saw time in the last 2 minutes of a tied game. He also didn't ride the bench after his offensive zone penalty , and saw some PP minutes was well.