Sat. Jan 19, 2013 Ducks at Canucks HNIC 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

paddy
CC Veteran

Re: Sat. Jan 19, 2013 Ducks at Canucks HNIC 7pm

Post by paddy »

RoyalDude wrote:
paddy wrote: Watching Dale Weise get run over in the final minutes by Bonino and sort of half ass respond reminds me of what this team really is and how nothing really changes...
Which is what baffles me as to why Gillis fails to see this and has zero inclination to deal with it. These problems started the last half of last season.

I tend to use the Holmgren model about blowing it up. Not saying Richards and Carter are not great players or that Holmgren is a genius or anything, but they recognized that some changes had to be made, it worked out for Richards and Carter, they need a new start in cities and the Flyers needed new faces for the franchise and it worked out for them, Holmgren dropped the ball on Bryzgalove but all is not bad from the changing of the guard he did in Philly.

It's getting stale around here and lets face it, all Ebbett's presence points out to me is that the Hodgson trade was stupid, no offense to Kassian. Ya just don't trade quality center's for playes like Kassian. Just stupid. Keeping Luongo around for 9 months is just stupid. The team is playing like they are in wait mode for. Luongo's bizarro presence here is giving the team an identity crisis.

But even with Kesler, this team showed when he was in the line-up that they are really a one line team with one player on the 2nd line playing by himself - Kesler. The Sedins are starting to look predictable for opposing defenders. We are just stale, bottom line and we have a GM who truly isn't a GM but a decent hockey executive who is too afraid to make a substantial change to the face of this club.
The Ghandi approach sends a horrible message... listen Dale Weise gets run over in the final minute of a game in which his club is trailing by 4 goals on home ice... His response was as follow,s he see's the guy who hits him,skates in Bonino's direction, asks him to go, Bonino declines, play continues, Bonino gets puck, Weise zero's in on his target, throws a hit on target, and falls down... He skates back to the bench and informs the coach he let the team down cause being a 4th LINE PLAYER ON THE ICE IN THAT SITUATION he couldn't score 4 goals on that shift to tie the game up cuz there was no other reason to be on the ice in that situation for Dale Weise...

The Correct response should've been you knocked me a 4th line player down I get up skate in your direction and throw punches (face to face no invite) now thew choice is yours on how you respond... I might get only a couple before the pile jumps on my back or a linesman jumps in... Or I might get lucky and you might start defending yourself which would allow me to beat the fuck out of you until the linseman break it up... Unfortunately that didn't happen and going forward when we play the Ducks again if say Bonino takes liberties with Hank or Danny Bonino's only fear will be what happens to the ice surface when a 4th line player throws a check at him and falls down...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:Raymond is a pansy who will never thrive in AVs offensive system. He needs to free wheel where his speed can kill.
...and so the 'blame it on Raymond' excuse begins.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I noticed all the Canadian home teams lost last night, as well as LA and a couple others in the states... Wonder how much the lockout hang over, and the desire to please the fans played into the egg fest?

All the complaints by the Chicken little crowd are way to premature, we got no goaltending, end of story...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote:I noticed all the Canadian home teams lost last night, as well as LA and a couple others in the states... Wonder how much the lockout hang over, and the desire to please the fans played into the egg fest?

All the complaints by the Chicken little crowd are way to premature, we got no goaltending, end of story...
Then what's the excuse for the teams who won? They had no hangover? Every team has had the same off-season, the hangover excuse does not apply to just the losing teams. How was last night any different from where this team left off?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Well we all know sometimes this team needs a good ass whoopin' so hopefully that'll get em going for this game today.

However a lot of the players are really rusty, so who knows what type of team will come out for this upcoming game.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:I noticed all the Canadian home teams lost last night, as well as LA and a couple others in the states... Wonder how much the lockout hang over, and the desire to please the fans played into the egg fest?

Then what's the excuse for the teams who won? They had no hangover? Every team has had the same off-season, the hangover excuse does not apply to just the losing teams. How was last night any different from where this team left off?
The ducks and as the road team didn't have to impress they could play a simple game and take what the Canucks gave them and Schneider gave them 5 goals on 15 shots... I don't care who Gillis could have brought in or what changes he should make in your mind, no team wins with that kind of goaltending other than maybe the 76 Habs or 84 oil...

And 5 goals on 15 shots is exactly what was different from where they left off I'm game 5 last year.

Ten games from now and they aren't at .500 then maybe start the pissing and moaning...but give till next week at least!

Oh and even if they are a shitty team like you say, count me out of a blow up like Holmgren in Philly.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: Oh and even if they are a shitty team like you say, count me out of a blow up like Holmgren in Philly.
Huh? So you would rather stay shitty than blow up the core?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Oh and even if they are a shitty team like you say, count me out of a blow up like Holmgren in Philly.
Huh? So you would rather stay shitty than blow up the core?
This is a team that's won a shit load in the last four years, if it needs any changes it only needs fine tuning. no suicide bombers required...
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I think the team and fans can turn the page on yesterday. Nobody tried...nobody.
There was absolutely nothing to even comment on so as far as I'm concerned there's no point in trying to evaluate it.

I expect a much more focused and engaged team tonight.
If you need air...call it in
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

ukcanuck wrote: This is a team that's won a shit load in the last four years
I don't understand what yesteryear has to do with the Canucks current state of play now?
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

RoyalDude wrote: Every team has injuries Potatoe.
Yes and every team missing 2 members of it's second line will lack secondary scoring. And every team missing 2 defenseman will struggle with coverage. And every team missing their top goalie will struggle in net. Etc, etc. Injuries do matter.

And for the record I do not deny that they could use another offensive minded forward and perhaps a young player pushing for a spot from the AHL.

That said those are not make or break type players. This team will still live and die with the Twins, Kesler, Burrows, their top 4 and their goaltending.

The extras will simply round out the roster and cover for injuries to the core.
paddy
CC Veteran

Post by paddy »

Potatoe1 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Every team has injuries Potatoe.
Yes and every team missing 2 members of it's second line will lack secondary scoring. And every team missing 2 defenseman will struggle with coverage. And every team missing their top goalie will struggle in net. Etc, etc. Injuries do matter.

And for the record I do not deny that they could use another offensive minded forward and perhaps a young player pushing for a spot from the AHL.

That said those are not make or break type players. This team will still live and die with the Twins, Kesler, Burrows, their top 4 and their goaltending.

The extras will simply round out the roster and cover for injuries to the core.
Extras filling out a roster Really Pot do you realize that Dale Weise last evening had more even strength ice time 14:16 than Daniel's 13:12 than Hank's 12:34, than Burrow's 12:27 than Raymonds 12:39... He had More even strength ice time than Higgins,Ebbett and Kassian... He Had more even strength icetime than every forward on our roster not named Hansen or Lappy

Living with its core as I type this Cody just scores in Buffalo but the core hasn't been good enough 8 goals in 7 games in a final screams to that but neither are the coaches Pets eg Dale Weise...
whether you like it or don't like it learn to live with it because its the best thing going today...
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: This is a team that's won a shit load in the last four years
I don't understand what yesteryear has to do with the Canucks current state of play now?

I don't understand your term "current state of play". One game does not tell me anything about their current state of play. Maybe after 10-15 games and they still suck..........
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

It's amazing how everyone is letting RD dictate the tone of these threads.

One game - pretty much a pre-season game at that. :?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude [color=#FF0000]on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 pm[/color] wrote: I'm sorry guys but this is funny. I love my Canucks, but this is funny.

I just don't get why this city is littered with Canuck fans and Media who somehow think we are an elite club and Stanley Cup favorite. The arrogance of Canuck fans is painful. I honestly see us having a real awful season here, but what would be really icing on the cake is if Gillis panics and sells our 1st round pick for a short term fix.
*saves post for future reference* :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.