Sat. Jan 19, 2013 Ducks at Canucks HNIC 7pm

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Sat. Jan 19, 2013 Ducks at Canucks HNIC 7pm

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote: I love my Canucks
Not so sure about that
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: I love my Canucks
Not so sure about that
I do B Mac, I just don't like the Management.

Gillis lacks the Paul Holmgren balls to make a bold move this team needs.

Holmgren sees his team get whacked in the first round of the playoffs after going to Lord Stanley the previous the year, what does he do? He trades the two biggest faces of the organization in Carter and Richards. That is exactly what Gillis should have done. This team has been in need of a serious change to the core group for a long time, he's let this Luongo thing go on way too long. It's becoming a circus, side show distraction like the team is held in limbo knowing a change is about to come. Make the fucking trade and get on with it. It's like we are in wait mode here. Waiting for the new arrivals and the departing of Luongo, it's fucking weird to be honest. I am at the point now where I don't fucking care what we get back, even if it's a bag of fucking pucks for fuck sakes.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:]

No shit.....he is licking his lips thinking of all the vitriol he can spew about Gillis, Kassian, Ballard, Booth, Kesler, Garrison, Malhotra, Higins, Weise, Vandermeer, Barker, Alberts, .......did I miss anyone.....yes the Ginger Baby.

The dude needs to head back to his old haunts at the Dufferin and get laid. He's too crabby . :lol:
Mason Raymond played pretty good
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Where is everybody? Where is Tantalum and his 'Blame Raymond' posts for when every time the Canucks lose?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

RoyalDude wrote:Where is everybody?
No doubt. Hey, did everyone see Sarah McLachlan singing the anthem? That was awesome. :mrgreen:

First regular season game is tomorrow, right?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So what don't ya like about this years Canucks? I know you all tow the Gillis company line around here like no other and stand by everything that he does, but seriously, what do you not like what you see with this team top to bottom?

I will say this, I feel bad for the Sedins. They are going to get absolutely pounded by opposing teams this year cause opposing teams know that outside of them, this team is shite at Forward.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:I'm sorry guys but this is funny. I love my Canucks, but this is funny.

I just don't get why this city is littered with Canuck fans and Media who somehow think we are an elite club and Stanley Cup favorite. The arrogance of Canuck fans is painful. I honestly see us having a real awful season here, but what would be really icing on the cake is if Gillis panics and sells our 1st round pick for a short term fix.
I tend to agree with the Dude somewhat here. But probably not for his reasons.

I think this team has some very good pieces.....astute observation, I know.....but they lack someone at the helm. We just watched a team that backed their way into the President's trophy in 2011/12 and got absolutely whacked in back-to-back playoff rounds by teams (Boston and LA) that play defense designed to shutdown exactly the kind of offense that the Canucks bring to the ice.....well we watched them take almost 9 months off during the lockout only to come back and play exactly the same style and setup that got them spanked into next season by the Bruins and Kings. It was embarrassing. Here come the Canucks up the ice, Anaheim stands up at their blueline, drop pass by Vancouver to enter the zone......oh wait a minute, that fooled NOBODY!!!! The Ducks were totally prepared for it! How did they know?????? :shock:

I know I've beat this horse as much as RD has beat on Booth, Gillis, scouting, Lou, Schneider, Manny......oh right, this list could get long.....but anyways.....but after watching the leaves/Habs game this afternoon, and then the Canucks/Ducks game, I reflected that the Canadiens and Canucks brought the exact same games to the ice, while the leaves and the Ducks brought similar games to the ice. The former brought a gain the zone, cycle the puck, overload one side system that generated little in the way of real scoring chances.....and while Vancouver generated shots there was never anyone near the net to pick up the rebounds or put in several easy weak side gimmes that were there for the taking. Montreal was the same, only they got fewer shots to the net due to having almost zero offensive talent to move the puck. The latter, Toronto/Anaheim, brought a quick skating, side to side passing, lane filling, north/south style of hockey that collapsed into the slot on defense and blew the lanes wide open on offense while looking for passes to scoring areas that kept the defense moving and chasing their assignments. The leaves are lightweights when it comes to the finishing touches, and if not for Price they still could have had 4 or 5 goals. Anaheim has some real finishers though, and they were able to put 7 behind "the best goaltending duo" in the NHL. :lol:

So I agree with the Dude. This team is going nowhere fast, especially in the playoffs, and they are not an elite team in the NHL anymore. At least not with Vigneault at the helm.

I know, I know, you are all about to jump on this and say, "FFS Mëds! It's just one game!" But I'm just saying that we have not seen anything new from AV, outside of that drop pass in the neutral zone on the rush, in the last 6 years. He hasn't lost the room, but his gameplan has lost its desired effect. It will be especially ineffective if we are indeed watching a return to dead puck hockey.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:So what don't ya like about this years Canucks? I know you all tow the Gillis company line around here like no other and stand by everything that he does, but seriously, what do you not like what you see with this team top to bottom?

I will say this, I feel bad for the Sedins. They are going to get absolutely pounded by opposing teams this year cause opposing teams know that outside of them, this team is shite at Forward.
Kesler can play. But he's hurt.

Booth is still a relative unknown because of injuries.....which means I think we turn the page on him. He's fast, can drive the net, has a decent shot, but can't pass worth shit and is always hurt. Stick him on LTIR and be done with it for this year.

Burrows is a gamer. Among the best two-way forwards in the league.

Hansen is a great grinding winger who can play both ends of the ice. Solid 3rd liner who can bump up to the top 6.

Higgins is a middle 6 guy. But not going to carry a line without Kesler.

Lap is a good 4th line center who can fill in on the 3rd line.

Kassian may or may not develop. Time will tell.

Raymond can go.

Weise is a plug.

Ebbet is too small.

Volpatti is too small for his role.

Team needs some players who can control the puck and skate and make plays rather than just dump it around the boards. But I'm reserving judgement on a few these guys until we see a new gameplan. I actually think Raymond might do well, like Grabner did, with a differnet approach to offense from his coach.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Just a sad, sad effort tonight. Did not expect Cory to shit the bed in his first game. Expected some rough nights but not opening night. It was hard to watch, well until it was 5-2 then I didn't watch anymore.

I agree with Mëds, we have not had intensity for some time now and it wasn't there tonight. We found out proof positive last season that there is not switch the team can turn on and off. This will be a very short season if the team expects to play like this and make the playoffs. I know, I know its only one game but as Mëds said it is more systemic than just one game.

God help me when the voice of reason starts sounding like the Dude!! :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Just a sad, sad effort tonight. Did not expect Cory to shit the bed in his first game. Expected some rough nights but not opening night. It was hard to watch, well until it was 5-2 then I didn't watch anymore.

I agree with Mëds, we have not had intensity for some time now and it wasn't there tonight. We found out proof positive last season that there is not switch the team can turn on and off. This will be a very short season if the team expects to play like this and make the playoffs. I know, I know its only one game but as Mëds said it is more systemic than just one game.

God help me when the voice of reason starts sounding like the Dude!! :D
Not to worry HW.....the voice of reason doesn't sound anything like the Dude. The voice if reason in this case is looking at the last 6 years of Vigneault coached Canucks and saying that there is a common trend that is evidence based. The Dude, as Doc so eloquently pointed out in another thread, raves at random and flips up, down, and over again, whenever they adjust his dosage. There is rarely any real evidence to support his ranting. :P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Before everyone thinks I've gone and jumped off the bandwagon already I gotta say that there was one person who looked good out there on the ice tonight.....

Sarah McLachlan. Damn does she look good for 44! :look:

And Btw, Henrik, this certainly was a season opener that we won't forget. :roll:
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: I just don't get why this city is littered with Canuck fans and Media who somehow think we are an elite club and Stanley Cup favorite.
Maybe the two consecutive President's trophy wins and going to game seven of the Stanley Cup final with virtually the same team as we have now might have something to do with it? That'd be my guess.

And yes, I'm hopeful.
The Sedins having a few more months to heal and practice may mean a world of difference when the playoffs start!

8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

RoyalDude wrote: I am at the point now where I don't fucking care what we get back, even if it's a bag of fucking pucks for fuck sakes.
Which is one of many reasons we are all very happy you don't have Gillis's job. :roll:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

RoyalDude wrote:
Holmgren sees his team get whacked in the first round of the playoffs after going to Lord Stanley the previous the year, what does he do? He trades Carter and Richards.
Yep and Dean Lombardi says thanks... :thumbs:
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

One game down and Ginger shit the bed. It is one game and that is it. What a bunch of cry babies here. No forwards, no intensity, no guts. I am a fan and not a critic. I will leave that to the DB's who write for Van hockey in the so-called newspapers. Go Canucks!