GDT: R1:G5 LA @ Vancouver 5PM Sun Apr 22 HNIC CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: GDT: R1:G5 LA @ Vancouver 5PM Sun Apr 22 HNIC CBC

Post by Farhan Lalji »

alexBF wrote:
So you're trading Edler, a DEFENSE who is 2 years younger and had 49 points last year in 82 to games
for Rick Nash, a forward who had 59 points in 82 games.
Look at the team Nash played on for christ sakes.

Look at how Nash has played on Team Canada during the Olympics. Look at how Edler played for us in the playoffs these past two seasons.

By your logic, perhaps 90% of GM's out there would JUMP at the idea of trading Rick Nash for Alex Edler, one for one, if they had the opportunity to do so. :|

I think not my friend.........I think not.
alexBF
AHL Prospect

Post by alexBF »

You're right Nash did have a solid Olympic run on a line with Crosby and Iginla. He's not going to have those linemates here (or anywhere outside of Team Canada). He was also taken off that line and replaced with Staal though.

I don't think I'd use an example of his prowess a 7 game window of olympic hockey where he was such an amazing standout that he was outscored by his nine of his teammates (Toews, iginla, crosby, heatley, getzlaf, weber, staal, keith, and perry) and tied 2 more (marleau, richards). I'm being kind and ignoring his 1 assist/point in his previous olympics because 2 goals and 4 assists in 13 games isn't impressive.

Edler had an off year this year in the playoffs, last year he was very good in the first few rounds. But Nash has 1 career playoff goal while getting swept 4 years ago, so he's not exactly impressive there either.

I think a lot of GMs WOULD trade Rick Nash at 7.8million (BACK LOADED) contract for Edler's 3.25mill contract. With the difference you could upgrade a $2.5mill forward (raymond, malhotra?) for a $7million foward (Parise?)

Nash and his contract are not appealing. People like to complain about Luongo's contract but it's $2.5million cheaper for a goalie that has statistically been top 10 (arguably top 3) for the past many seasons. While Nash barely squeezed into the top 60 statically last season coming in at 59th for points (and -19, 30th best on HIS TEAM). Gillis would be insane to trade for Nash. If you think the canucks' window is NOW, then keep Edler and with that $4.5million of extra dollars that you seem to have in cap space you can sign a Parise level crazy 1 year contract and dump raymond or malhotra.

Nash is a terrible fit for the canucks, unless his contract magically changes.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

alexBF wrote: If you think the canucks' window is NOW, then keep Edler and with that $4.5million of extra dollars that you seem to have in cap space you can sign a Parise level crazy 1 year contract and dump raymond or malhotra.
I would definitely be interested in that idea if Gillis was a front-runner for signing Parise (or if Parise has privately expressed intentions of playing in Vancouver).
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Farhan Lalji wrote: I would definitely be interested in that idea if Gillis was a front-runner for signing Parise (or if Parise has privately expressed intentions of playing in Vancouver).
Is that a fact or a wish on your part Farhan??? The only rumors I have heard regarding Parise is that Minnesota or Detroit are on his wish list.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

RoyalDude wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: I would definitely be interested in that idea if Gillis was a front-runner for signing Parise (or if Parise has privately expressed intentions of playing in Vancouver).
Is that a fact or a wish on your part Farhan??? The only rumors I have heard regarding Parise is that Minnesota or Detroit are on his wish list.
Complete wish on my part.

The point I was trying to make is that trading Lou for prospects and freeing up cap space is great, but it doesn't help us NOW.......during what is probably a 1 year window, maybe 2, to win a cup. If the Canucks are going to trade Lou for prospects while clearing up cap space, then my argument is that they'd better make sure that they take a run at Zack Parise........and make sure that Parise actually wants to play here.

No matter how we slice it or dice, this Canuck team needs significant help on offense in the post-season.

Very few teams are better at lighting up shitty teams than the Canucks but very few teams are more offensively inept when it comes to laying down the hammer on a team with elite shut down 'D' men.