GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

Post by Meds »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
rufus wrote:The case could be made that we could easily up 2-1 but I won't make it.

This is not the same team we were used to seeing up until the last 20 games or so. No offense, no power play, no second round. The only question now is who starts the next game.
Agreed on all accounts.

Canucks should be up 2-1 in this series, but perhaps taking 'coasting' for the past 3 months for the most part has made the difference.

The "on-switch?" My ass. Maybe next year, the Canucks won't take half the fucking season off and "just get by" to beat the Columbus' and Edmonton's of this world.

p.s.___________Schneider should start next game and every single game for the forseeable future. If Gillis and Vigneault had any sense whatsoever, they would have done this after January 7th after we defeated Boston in the biggest regular season game in our franchise history. It's so obvious that the team actually does play slightly better when Schneider is in there..........and this became even more apparent after January 7th.

Luongo needs to be dealt in the off-season and I sincerely wish him the best.
Agreed. His cap room would let us retool, and a retooling is needed, primarily behind the bench, but Raymond and Hansen are questionmarks now too.

Hansen has ZERO finish (I know, I know, it's cuz he's a Dane). He plays his heart out, but when he's the guy blowing the only chance we really get in a game, you gotta replace him with someone who can finish or demote him to the 4th line. Raymond can finish better, but brings "it" about 10% of the time.....sure he's been really good the last 2 games, but I'm not going to advocate paying $2.5M for a guy that floats through the regular season and is going to do nothing but elevate his play to find no results in the the playoffs.

Pahlsson is gone. Malhotra should go too.

Get Kassian in shape and give him 12 minutes a game on the 3rd/4th line and in the goalie's face on the PP. Also send him over the boards immediately following incidents like the on tonight where Brown ran Henrik.

Edler should go. He's had such a great upward curve on the graphs but I think he stalled this year and I doubt he'll recover to the point we need him to. Either deal him or re-sign him as a number 5 guy at a price that correlates to that spot.

Leave the Amex line alone and get a coach who will have them playing straight up and down, north-south, hockey where one guy carries the puck and two guys crash the net from either side. They will score 70 goals as a line doing that.

Go back to a scoring 3rd line, but one that can play both ends of the rink rather than just the shutdown hockey that RD has come to love.

Above all get a new coach, one that can see the forest for the trees and isn't too stubborn or too obtuse to change something up other than the line combinations.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

mathonwy wrote: Believe in Blue.
One game at a time.

Chicago, Philly, and Detroit have all done it (well....pretty damn close) and so there's no reason why we can't do the same.

Canucks have been better than the Kings in 2 out of the 3 games.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I will humbly submit a request to the forum members.

Can we please save the trade the whole team talk until after the series?

I know it's a long time from now to Wednesday but we gotta stay positive until it doesn't matter anymore.

It's not over. There is at least one more game to be played and what's happened already will not govern how that game will be played.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

mathonwy wrote:I will humbly submit a request to the forum members.

I know it's a long time from now to Wednesday but we gotta stay positive until it doesn't matter anymore.

It's not over. There is at least one more game to be played and what's happened already will not govern how that game will be played.
No problem.

I will abide by this.

Have a good night guys. Life goes on. 8-)
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

I have no idea whats happening with Alex Edler.

Just when you thought it possibly couldn't get any worse...

LA is collapsing on the net and giving the Canucks the perimeter. They have to break into the slot.

Otherwise, the Canucks used their speed and dictated the pace of the game.

The special teams were much better.

We're more than capable of winning a game against LA.

A sweep is a definite possibility, but this series isn't over.

Only a fool would say "we have them where we want them," but we're still alive, and 1 win could change things with game 5 at home.

We're due a win, period, and we're also due a win at home.

But for now, win game 4.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Farhan Lalji wrote: Just as the case was with Tim Thomas last year, we are making Quick to look far better than he actually is. Most of our shots are from the outside. Teams know that we simply don't have that one guy that can completely drive through the defense and put one in from up close.
And that's why Gillis got Kassian. Sure, he's not the finished product, but that kind of player is not easy to find on the market. Maybe next season, or the one after that. I think Kassian can become quite the player - in time.

Meanwhile, we have to watch the Canucks dominate games that they lose. No fun. :(

Let's hope they can turn this around though. Lapdog can score. Kesler should be able to score. Burrows can score. Heck, Henrik can score. I liked the wraparound he tried at the end, which ended up in a huge pile of players in Quick's crease. More of that!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

mathonwy wrote: We're going to win the next game on a deflected puck. Dank will then be available for the 5th game and with Dank back, the Nucks are going to go on a tear and force game 7. It's what is going to happen.

Believe in Blue.
A-men! 8-)
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

mathonwy wrote:I will humbly submit a request to the forum members.
To be honest, it doesn't matter if they come back in this series, or even win a couple more series, the team isn't anywhere near to what it was last year - for whatever reason - and will need some retooling.

There's no way that a President's trophy team should be playing like crap in playoff game 1 and getting burned for two SH with a gawdawful PP in game 2

Mëds wrote: Agreed. His cap room would let us retool, and a retooling is needed, primarily behind the bench, but Raymond and Hansen are questionmarks now too.

Hansen has ZERO finish (I know, I know, it's cuz he's a Dane). He plays his heart out, but when he's the guy blowing the only chance we really get in a game, you gotta replace him with someone who can finish or demote him to the 4th line. Raymond can finish better, but brings "it" about 10% of the time.....sure he's been really good the last 2 games, but I'm not going to advocate paying $2.5M for a guy that floats through the regular season and is going to do nothing but elevate his play to find no results in the the playoffs.

Pahlsson is gone. Malhotra should go too.
Get Kassian in shape and give him 12 minutes a game on the 3rd/4th line and in the goalie's face on the PP. Also send him over the boards immediately following incidents like the on tonight where Brown ran Henrik.
Edler should go. He's had such a great upward curve on the graphs but I think he stalled this year and I doubt he'll recover to the point we need him to. Either deal him or re-sign him as a number 5 guy at a price that correlates to that spot.
Leave the Amex line alone and get a coach who will have them playing straight up and down, north-south, hockey where one guy carries the puck and two guys crash the net from either side. They will score 70 goals as a line doing that.

Go back to a scoring 3rd line, but one that can play both ends of the rink rather than just the shutdown hockey that RD has come to love.
Above all get a new coach, one that can see the forest for the trees and isn't too stubborn or too obtuse to change something up other than the line combinations.
Good post Mëds.
I can see keeping Malhotra on a 4th line checking/shutdown line, but they really do need a 3rd line that can score, and a center that can make it happen. I hope Schroeder (spelling?) can fit into that role next year.

I agree, keep the Amex line together, an let's hope that Daniel comes back no worse for wear. They do need somebody to push back against the league goons, but do it without taking stupid penalties.

I also agree, I think that this is the end for AV.
Too bad that Hitchcock isn't available. :P
Waffle
CC Veteran

Post by Waffle »

Some say you should never talk to or about your team until at least the day after a game.

The Canucks played pretty well tonight overall and might have had a different fate but such is life.

Did they play better because Schneider was in net, or because it was pretty much a must win game and they had played better last game anyway? We will never know of course. I think they could have had Mark A Fleury in the net tonite and the result would have been the same....Schneider wasn’t exactly overworked.

I don’t know if Schneider could have played the shot that resulted in the goal any differently or not. I know I have seen Luongo kick pucks out into the slot before.

I will have to look at the play on the goal again, but I don’t think that was Edler’s fault. It looked to me like for some unknown reason, Salo drifted over into the left faceoff circle area. Edler stayed in the front of the net where likely he should have been generally speaking. Who was supposed to cover Brown in the slot on the right? I don’t know, but I don’t think you would expect Edler to do it as isn’t he the left side defenceman? It was an unfortunate rebound for Schneider, and a lucky bounce right to Brown who had been knocked down at the boards and was slow back into the play, but often when you are playing well, the puck comes to you it seems. If the Canucks had gotten the puck and had been moving up the ice, he would have been out of the play completely.

Edler, who I have been down on this whole season more or less, played fairly well tonight overall defensively compared to previous games I thought. It was pretty dumb to shoot the puck over the glass though, and sums up his whole season....very inconsistent and dumb plays at the worst times.

Lapierre should shut up and play hockey. Where is the guy from last year’s playoffs? Why is he taking dumb penalties? He is not being any offensive help and it is easy to see why he is a career fourth line player.

I actually think that the Canucks can still win this series as they have outplayed LA the last two games. But it obviously will only happen if they can get some offensive production from their second line, and from their defence, either 5 on 5 or on the PP. And if they stop taking dumb penalties, and making dumb plays.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Don't know what to say about this team. Something is very wrong. The Sedins ran out of fuel around the all-star break. Maybe they fooled themselves into thinking they could sit back and preserve themselves. Kesler did not take enough time to recover from his surgery and now, as his frustration grows, so does his lack of composure. The defensive line-up changes have hurt. Bieksa and Edler just didn't mesh and in the process Edler has lost some confidence. Goal isn't our problem, it's the lines ahead of our goalies. There's no emotion. Maybe they suppressed their drive too much in anticipation of later rounds and now they've been tripped up.

Do you blame AV? He can't take all the heat. These are professionals after all. They've played at the highest levels of hockey all through their careers (well, most anyway) and mental preparation shouldn't be a mystery to them. They went through this last year. Pacing yourself must be a fine art and I guess this team is stuck at stick figures. Maybe the line combinations should fall on the coaching staff and the easy-to-read systems that the Kings have broken down and nullified. This has been a group collapse and the hard job now falls to Gillis. If we go out in 4 or 5, we'll see just what kind of GM he really is.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote: Can we please save the trade the whole team talk until after the series?
Trade Malkin! Trade Crosby! Trade Fleury! Trade Letang! That'll fix everything.

Things are fucked if you are the voice of reason.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Cornuck wrote:I put the goal on Edler for leaving Brown wide open. A Ginger can only do so much.
Agreed.

Speaking of Brown, what a player eh? He's definitely not the best player in the league but he damn sure knows how to "bring it" when it matters most.
I admit, his 2 career goals previous to this series tell me he is super serious. He's a fucking -8 in 14 career games and you e-fellating him. Don't swallow.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Shit, somehow i could smell the organic mass in their pants through the tv screen.
Maybe the pessure they put on themselves to repeat last season's history was too much, i don't know.
Right now i'm just dissapointed and sad. I don't think they're capable of creating a miracle.

ps: Statistically it's also pretty unlikely that after 1943, 1975 and 2010 the Canucks would be the fourth team to accomplish a comeback down from 0-3. The time frame doesn't fit, it's not our time.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Cornuck wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:my DUB team is out...my NHL team is kaput(almost)...fuck...
Lincoln Stars start thier playoffs on Friday. I hope they're not the only team I'm cheering for at that point.. :?
Not to worry: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9090#p125811
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

I think it's way to early to throw AV under the bus, but for those already looking for a new coach... remember Bert Robertsson?

This former Canuck is currently assistant coach for Skellefteå, who are down 3-1 against Brynäs in the Swedish championship final. I know absolutely nothing about his coaching skills, but at least he is entertaining to watch:

Edit: So, yes, that means Bert Robertsson is now coaching Lee Goren. Small world.
Last edited by Per on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.