GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

I would still like to see Kesler play with Hank on occasion

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Maybe I'm crazy for suggesting this, but I'd like to see the Canucks throw out.....Higgins-H.Sedin-Kesler.......for a few shifts, just to give the Kings a different look. No one is a better passer than Hank and no one is a bigger puck hog than Kesler. It's a tremendous fit in that sense, and I don't think there's anything wrong with putting your two best players on the same line to produce offense.

Lapierre than plays with Burrows and Booth, while Higgins continues to play with Pahlsson and Hansen.

That's what I'd try for a few shifts if the Canucks' offense continues to struggle.

Even if the Canucks move forward from this series on to later rounds............and Daniel comes back, I'd put Kesler with the twins on regular occassions.

A combination of Kesler with the twins might prove to be too much even for the very elite shut down pairings. Stamkos and St. Louis did it to the Bruins last year, but they just no other depth. Ditto for when Getzlaf and Perry blitzed Nashville last year (but as was the case with Tampa against Boston, they just had nothing else other than that top line).

Fortunately - the Canucks have a lot more depth than both Anaheim and Tampa..........and so hypothetically "stacking" your first line wouldn't be too detrimental.

Again - it's just what I'd do. Kesler isn't maximizing his teammates on the second line anyways and so he might as well play with one of the greatest playmakers of the last decade in the NHL. :thumbs:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Game 3 Vancouver @ LA Kings - April 15 7:30pm - CBC

Post by Meds »

stoneboat wrote:No word from Tant lately? I hope when he crawls out from his storm shelter, the sun is shining, the house is in one piece and the Canucks have taken one back from the Kings. Still think they should have Lapierre on the first instead of Hansen -- not because I don't think Hansen is the better player, but I prefer seeing him excel in his role as a checker, rather than slow his game down trying to be a scorer. On that second line, Higgins needs to make more of an impact - win the board battles and get the puck onto his linemates' sticks.
Hansen hampers Hank and Burrows. He doesn't think "support" enough in the offensive zone, instead he parks in front of Quick. Burrows is the net presence on that line, but I think it needs to switch up so that Burrows fills Daniel's role and leave Hansen in front because Hansen just isn't going to adjust, and he doesn't have the same smarts and skill as Bur.

Oh and one more thing, point men need to be more dynamic. Standing still like they are on a rod-hockey surface is useless, Hank had a couple of lanes to the slot when he was controlling the puck down low, but there was nobody to take a pass, they just stood there behind LA's wingers.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

stoneboat wrote:No word from Tant lately? I hope when he crawls out from his storm shelter, the sun is shining, the house is in one piece and the Canucks have taken one back from the Kings. Still think they should have Lapierre on the first instead of Hansen -- not because I don't think Hansen is the better player, but I prefer seeing him excel in his role as a checker, rather than slow his game down trying to be a scorer. On that second line, Higgins needs to make more of an impact - win the board battles and get the puck onto his linemates' sticks.
Really?

I think he did a great job of that last game on that line(as he's done pretty much all year long). The play dies when he gets the puck to Booth in tight on the boards. David just can't stickhandle in tight very well( as someone here has mentioned once or twice...). I think higgy is fine and Kesler showed signs of improvement.

TBH I think we need a more consistent effort from our Defencemen tonight. The paring of the kid with the shrimp was excellent at moving the puck out of the zone in game 2 and the rest of the pairings need to follow suit.

Let's make them pay for the their deep fore-check by making that QUICK fast first pass out of the zone.

Just WIN BABY!.

Believe in blue
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Mëds wrote:

The Canucks actually beat the Kings 5-on-5 in both games. 2-1 in game 1. 2-1 in game 2.

If the Canucks start getting some real chances and shots on Quick rather than 45 shots from the outside with nobody around for a rebound (which Quick has been giving up plenty of), then this series will go back to Vancouver tied at 2.
Yeppers.

My thoughts exactly.

I honestly think that the Canucks could start getting these "real chances" if they put Hank and Kes together. Imagine that - one of the greatest playmakers in the NHL over the past decade, playing alongside an intense puck hog that has no problems driving the net and shooting at breaking speed.

Putting all the proverbial sperm in one basket might help solve the Canucks' inconsistent scoring problems against teams with an elite defenseman.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: I would still like to see Kesler play with Hank on occas

Post by Meds »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Maybe I'm crazy for suggesting this, but I'd like to see the Canucks throw out.....Higgins-H.Sedin-Kesler.......for a few shifts, just to give the Kings a different look. No one is a better passer than Hank and no one is a bigger puck hog than Kesler. It's a tremendous fit in that sense, and I don't think there's anything wrong with putting your two best players on the same line to produce offense.

Lapierre than plays with Burrows and Booth, while Higgins continues to play with Pahlsson and Hansen.

That's what I'd try for a few shifts if the Canucks' offense continues to struggle.
You mean Raymond right?

Higgins will be pretty tired if he plays with Hank and Kes and then takes regular shifts on the 3rd line with Sami P and Hansen.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

staying sober.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Mëds wrote:

The Canucks actually beat the Kings 5-on-5 in both games. 2-1 in game 1. 2-1 in game 2.

If the Canucks start getting some real chances and shots on Quick rather than 45 shots from the outside with nobody around for a rebound (which Quick has been giving up plenty of), then this series will go back to Vancouver tied at 2.
Yeppers.

My thoughts exactly.

I honestly think that the Canucks could start getting these "real chances" if they put Hank and Kes together. Imagine that - one of the greatest playmakers in the NHL over the past decade, playing alongside an intense puck hog that has no problems driving the net and shooting at breaking speed.

Putting all the proverbial sperm in one basket might help solve the Canucks' inconsistent scoring problems against teams with an elite defenseman.
I say do it.

And Lapierre needs to move up the depth chart before Hansen does. Lap seems to have more of a nose for creating and supporting a tandem like Burrows and Henrik, Hansen is a pure grinder who will go to the dirty areas, create turnovers, or get in front for a redirection or to scoop up the garbage. He just doesn't hit the right spots to receive a pass when a guy is in trouble, and when he does his return pass is often just a desperation dump to the corner that becomes a race for the puck.....which the Canucks have been losing far to often of late.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:staying sober.
Drinking
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Farhan Lalji

Re: I would still like to see Kesler play with Hank on occas

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Mëds wrote:[

You mean Raymond right?
Oh oops. Yes, that is what I meant. If Daniel comes back, then keep Kes with the twins and move Higgins down to play with Pahlsson and Hansen.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

rats19 wrote:
Drinking
Praying to the Hindu to Gods.
stoneboat
AHL Prospect

Post by stoneboat »

CorranHorn wrote: Really?

I think he did a great job of that last game on that line(as he's done pretty much all year long). The play dies when he gets the puck to Booth in tight on the boards. David just can't stickhandle in tight very well( as someone here has mentioned once or twice...). I think higgy is fine and Kesler showed signs of improvement.

TBH I think we need a more consistent effort from our Defencemen tonight. The paring of the kid with the shrimp was excellent at moving the puck out of the zone in game 2 and the rest of the pairings need to follow suit.

Let's make them pay for the their deep fore-check by making that QUICK fast first pass out of the zone.

Just WIN BABY!.

Believe in blue

Yeah, to be honest, I'm more worried about the play of our d-men than anything else, but still think Higgins could take it up a notch. Still, he's pretty consistent, so not too worried there.

Edit: Mëds, you said what I was thinking.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:
Drinking
I thought you were driving tonight :evil:

....or maybe you're just being driven crazy...like me.... :!:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Wildfaery
CC Veteran

Post by Wildfaery »

has Tanty been rocked by the storms we have been getting here??? hope everything is OK in the Tant relm of reality!
Namaste Tant, WF
Namaste WF
stoneboat
AHL Prospect

Post by stoneboat »

His last post he said he'd probably have to hit the storm shelter. I think he's posted on HF Boards once or twice since then. But, yeah, I imagine he's in the thick of it, like usual. You're out there, too, WF?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
rats19 wrote:
Drinking
Praying to the Hindu to Gods.
Ganesh :D

Although he is known by many other attributes, Ganesha's elephant head makes him particularly easy to identify. Ganesha is widely revered as the Remover of Obstacles and more generally as Lord of Beginnings and Lord of Obstacles. (wiki)

pray to the God/s as you know him/her/them

(Hockey Gods notwithstanding as they are not receptive to prayer...)