GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: R1G1 - Canucks host Kings - 7:30

Post by SKYO »

RoyalDude wrote:The problem with the team SKYO, is we need more skill and intelligence, not less of it. But hey if you want to end up like the Flames and keep dumbing down skill for Meat and Potato's/Lunch Bucket hockey well
Which is why I wanted to keep Cody Hodgson till kingdom come, instead of the young and dumb rookie power forward Kassian who will probably get 3-5 shifts per game.
Arachnid wrote:\
Um, Cornuck pretty much told you to stfu and yet...
Your content of your Vancouver Canucks is weak...at best ;)
2010 was awesome...lotsa pagan...so...how's your love life cupcake? :look: I think the dude is your father...before he 'settled down' with a house and a whip and kids that ain't his....well that's kinda embarrassing :oops:
lol wtf are you going on about? stop watching jerseyshore already SMH
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

SKYO wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The problem with the team SKYO, is we need more skill and intelligence, not less of it. But hey if you want to end up like the Flames and keep dumbing down skill for Meat and Potato's/Lunch Bucket hockey well
Which is why I wanted to keep Cody Hodgson till kingdom come, instead of the young and dumb rookie power forward Kassian who will probably get 3-5 shifts per game.
Arachnid wrote:\
Um, Cornuck pretty much told you to stfu and yet...
Your content of your Vancouver Canucks is weak...at best ;)
2010 was awesome...lotsa pagan...so...how's your love life cupcake? :look: I think the dude is your father...before he 'settled down' with a house and a whip and kids that ain't his....well that's kinda embarrassing :oops:
lol wtf are you going on about? stop watching jerseyshore already SMH
Wot the fuck is a Jerseysure?! 8-) ...or a smh...you're soooo 2013...if that's important to you or better yet...gets you laid :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Arachnid on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

So the question was asked, it has now been answered.....

There is no switch.

There is no new look on the PP aside from seeing Henrik on the left boards instead of the right.

Raymond on the 1st line was a disaster, he simply can't take or make a pass quick enough and he was too tentative going to the net.

I've been saying all year that they have no answer for an aggressive forecheck, and since the finals last year that they have nothing when faced with an aggressive penalty-kill. The Kings played classic Sutter hockey and exploited that. They also got lucky with our back-to-back delay-of-game penalties and burned us.

Edler is the goat. His lucky goal does not excuse him. Great skate pass by Carter to Penner (twice as embarassing that it was him to score).

Officiating is already all over the map so far, I don't mean just this series. Tonight there were some really soft calls and some really weird non-calls. Everything called was a penalty, it was just weird to see it called in the playoffs. This game is not on the refs though. This is all on the Canucks, from the coaching staff right down to the players.

In closing I will say hats off to Luongo tonight. AMAZING performance. If not for him this game was 4-0 in the first period and out of reach in the first 2 minutes.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I think Arachnid got loose on the liquor cabinet tonight, he might actually be finishing off the that dusty bottle of Drambuie that has been sitting at the back of the cabinet for 10 years.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:I think Arachnid got loose on the liquor cabinet tonight, he might actually be finishing off the that dusty bottle of Drambuie that has been sitting at the back of the cabinet for 10 years.
God, I haven't had a Rusty Nail since the 80's 'Dude...but I am about to embark on my Masters...who'd a thunk it I could have a second career?! :|

See OF for wot I been dink'n 2nite...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: In closing I will say hats off to Luongo tonight. AMAZING performance. If not for him this game was 4-0 in the first period and out of reach in the first 2 minutes.
I agree, the only bright spot on the night. The score could have been seriously ugly early if it weren't for him.

Another thing, is it me or is Salo finally starting to look, well, kind of like he's on his last legs. Not seeing the same ol' Salo we've grown to love.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: I've been saying all year that they have no answer for an aggressive forecheck, and since the finals last year that they have nothing when faced with an aggressive penalty-kill. The Kings played classic Sutter hockey and exploited that.
Totally agree with this. That is the book on us and how to beat us. The Kings pounded us on the forcheck. It's a huge concern. It was kind of shameful to see all the great hits the Kings laid out on us. We had no answer for that. I'm starting to wonder if it's more of the Raffi Torres we need than than Bitz and Kassian's.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RD, you are the most negative Canuck "fan" I have ever known.

Don't like the team? Don't watch them. Because it sounds like there is nothing better more that you would like than to see them get eliminated in the first round.

Go support the Flames who legitimately give their fans something to bitch about.

God I wish this board had an ignore feature.

--

To the debacle that was game 1.

- I think Bitz is going get a game. What a stupid stupid penalty.
- Hank, MayRay and Burrows is a bad line. If I see them back together again next game, I will have to conclude that AV is a bad coach.
- I've never seen the Canucks take so many dumb penalties ever and they decide to do it in the playoffs. Great.
- Kassian... useless. Not enough speed to get in on the forecheck. Not enough cardio to be able to cause chaos along the boards.
- Jannick Hansen.. the opposite of Kassian. Fastest forechecker on the ice and caused a lot of problems for the Kings along the board.
- Hank looked like he was playing out there by himself. He was controlling the puck like a Datsyuk but had absolutely nobody to pass to. I would have given the 3rd star to Hank as I think he had a very good game.
- Kesler and Booth have to fucking figure it out and they have to do it sooner rather than later. Even if Dank comes back, if our second line isn't putting up points, we're sunk.
- Our power play is a major momentum killer for us. Just like in the regular season...
- Luo was solid.

I can't even say that the Kings played all that great of game. I think Mike Richards had a good game and Kopi caused a lot of problems but all of the Canuck troubles were all self inflicted.

Nobody said this was going to be easy. I just didn't expect it to be so tough right from the get go.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Don't worry arach' I'll get old too, it's all good.
RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote:In closing I will say hats off to Luongo tonight. AMAZING performance. If not for him this game was 4-0 in the first period and out of reach in the first 2 minutes.
I agree, the only bright spot on the night. The score could have been seriously ugly early if it weren't for him.
Another thing, is it me or is Salo finally starting to look, well, kind of like he's on his last legs. Not seeing the same ol' Salo we've grown to love.
Yup Salo's last season with the Canucks no doubt.

For this game we needed more from everyone, from the top line, 2nd line, 3rd line and less penalties from the 4th.

And the defense doesn't get off the hook for this, they better smarten up overall.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:RD, you are the most negative Canuck "fan" I have ever known.

Don't like the team? Don't watch them. Because it sounds like there is nothing better more that you would like than to see them get eliminated in the first round.

Go support the Flames who legitimately give their fans something to bitch about.

God I wish this board had an ignore feature.
Negative? Shoot me mathonwy, for not liking the on ice product. Would you rather me just be a Stepford Canuck Fan and wax on all day about how all is great in Canuck world? There are things I don't like about this group, I have been saying it all year. You all know how I feel about the job Gillis has done this year and most of his trades and drafting record. Whats' changed? Nothing.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I'm not even angry. This is the same team we have watched all season. Nothing special. Lsat year's team was special but this year's version is just missing something.

LA brought their A game and we didn't. If thats the best LA can bring then we can win this IF we have another level. I am beginning to doubt we really do.

Kesler and Booth dried up as soon we as took Higgins off their line. Well, now is the time to reunite them. We have enough bottom 6 players to fond someone to play on the third line.

If Dank can't go my lines next game are:

Lappy/Hank/Burrows
Higgins/Kesler/Booth
??/Sami/Hansen
Pick 3

We really don't have the forward depth to sustain a LTI to a top six.

I doubt we go deep this year folks. Oh, I'll still watch and cheer but I have seen nothing to make me think this team has another sustained gear.
The only HW the Canucks need
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Mëds wrote:So the question was asked, it has now been answered.....

There is no switch.

There is no new look on the PP aside from seeing Henrik on the left boards instead of the right.

Raymond on the 1st line was a disaster, he simply can't take or make a pass quick enough and he was too tentative going to the net.
Well there's a surprise, what didn't work in the reg. season doesn't work in the playoffs. :roll: (Mayray on 1st line)

Higgins & Hansen need to be in the top 6.
Put Malhotra, Pahlsson and maybe Mayray as a 3rd line checking/PK line
4th line Lapierre with Ebbett/Weise/Bitz/Kassian as 4th line.

There's no sense worrying about 3rd line production if your top 2 lines aren't going
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

The Edler-Bieksa combo looked shakey all night. I wish they could put Bieksa and Hamhuis back together but I guess they don't trust Tanev-Edler? I can't remember, who did Tanev play with last year in the playoffs?

Awful game to watch live. Don't know what to say. You could feel the lack of cohesiveness from the Canucks. Killing so many PPs didn't help the flow but they were lacking a spark anyway. Also, I'm not sure but Bitz took his penalty just below us and I think the play before saw some kind of a scrum behind the net where it appeared as if the ref. was talking to the players and telling them to watch it. Then Bitz goes and runs the Kings player. I'd have to look at the PVR. Might have been my imagination.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
Negative? Shoot me mathonwy, if I don't like what I see, and you don't like hearing about what I don't like seeing. Would you rather me just be a Stepford Canuck Fan and wax on all day about how all is great in Canuck world? There are things I don't like about this group, I have been saying it all year. You all know how I feel about the job Gillis has done this year and most of his trades and drafting record. Whats' changed? Nothing.
Good, you've said it all along.

Good, we all know how you feel about the job Gillis has done.

How many more times are you going to say this? What does repeating this over and over and over accomplish? (other than annoying the shit out of the other regulars because there is no ignore button).

You know what they call people that constantly say shit that annoys other people? Trolls.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote: - Kesler and Booth have to fucking figure it out and they have to do it sooner rather than later. Even if Dank comes back, if our second line isn't putting up points, we're sunk.
Booth is useless. It's his first playoff game ever, he has no idea what to do out there and how to be affective. Gillis decided to trade a guy in Samuelsson who is playing great hockey right now, who has loads of playoff experience, an intelligent player and is an excellent shooter for a guy with zero playoff experience and low hockey IQ in Booth. Bad trade.