GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby donlever » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:29 am

Image

Two wins, win the Conference.

Schneider apparently kicking them out this eveneing.

Image

Ballard travelling with team but apparently not ready to play.

Seems we are a little thin on the blue line right now with Tanev "maintaining" so Salo, Eddy and Hammer not likely to get their rest breaks.

Bieksa should be in.

Bitz probably in to cover for the injured Kassian.

NHL.COM PREVIEW


EXCERPT: It's the finale between the Northwest Division rivals, with the Canucks holding a slight edge in the season series after a 3-2 overtime win March 31 that ended the Flames' playoff hopes. Vancouver won the first two meetings in early November and early December by a combined 10-2 score, and the Flames won the next two, 3-1 two days before Christmas and 3-2 in a shootout on Feb. 11.

Despite a seven-game winning streak, goaltending is once again in the spotlight in Vancouver. Rogers Arena fans cheered the removal of starter Roberto Luongo on Tuesday against Anaheim after he allowed four goals on 15 shots. Sizzling backup Cory Schneider took over and only needed 10 saves - just two in the third period and overtime, and one of two in the shootout - to backstop a dramatic comeback victory. Luongo accepted the blame even while all around him pointed out the numerous defensive breakdowns that led to the goals. Schneider is back in goal against the Flames, but before any antsy Canucks fans read too much into that, it was scheduled long ago as part of a back-and-forth late-season rotation.


INJURIES: The Flames are missing defenders Derek Smith (upper body) and TJ Brodie (upper body) and center Mikael Backlund (shoulder). … Vancouver will be without Daniel Sedin (concussion) but top-four defenseman Kevin Bieksa, who missed four games to rest an undisclosed ailment, made the trip after practicing Wednesday and is expected to play. Defensemen Aaron Rome (knee) and Keith Ballard (concussion) are also close to returning, but blueliner Chris Tanev is questionable after missing practice Wednesday for what was called a maintenance day by the team. Forward Zack Kassian is out and still being evaluated after leaving Tuesday's game in the second period with an upper body injury that appeared to be to his right side.

HOT: With top-line left wing Daniel Sedin set to miss his eighth straight game with a concussion, his unlikely replacement, Maxim Lapierre, is on a tear since taking his spot three games ago. Playing with Henrik Sedin and Burrows, Lapierre, usually an agitating fourth-line center, had a goal and two assists in his first game on the top line, and a goal in each of the next two.

HISTORY: April 30th, 1994 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzPLHyfttQM
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:51 am

3 points will win the conference actually. But 4 more points and hope for NYR to get 3 or less of their next 4 points and we win the PT. Of course we can lose the next two and if St. Louis also fails to get 2 points out of their next 4 we still win the conference. Although that won't help us win the PT . If we lose the next two and NYR does as well they get it by virtue of owning the tie breaker. But if we get 2 out of four points and St. Louis gets 3 or less then we also win the conference. Likewise if we get 2 of four and NYR get 1 or less we win the PT. If we get 1 point and St. Louis gets 1 or less and NYR get 0 then, well you get the picture.

Just wanted to clear that up so everyone knows whats what.

So the bottom line is this:

If we get 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the our 4 points we still have a chance to win both the West and the PT depending upon whether St. Louis and NYR get 0, 1, 2,3 or 4 of their next 4 points.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby donlever » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 am

Hockey Widow wrote:3 points will win the conference actually. But 4 more points and hope for NYR to get 3 or less of their next 4 points and we win the PT. Of course we can lose the next two and if St. Louis also fails to get 2 points out of their next 4 we still win the conference. Although that won't help us win the PT . If we lose the next two and NYR does as well they get it by virtue of owning the tie breaker. But if we get 2 out of four points and St. Louis gets 3 or less then we also win the conference. Likewise if we get 2 of four and NYR get 1 or less we win the PT. If we get 1 point and St. Louis gets 1 or less and NYR get 0 then, well you get the picture.

Just wanted to clear that up so everyone knows whats what.

So the bottom line is this:

If we get 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the our 4 points we still have a chance to win both the West and the PT depending upon whether St. Louis and NYR get 0, 1, 2,3 or 4 of their next 4 points.



:?

Two wins, win the Conference.

:P
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:17 am

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:3 points will win the conference actually. But 4 more points and hope for NYR to get 3 or less of their next 4 points and we win the PT. Of course we can lose the next two and if St. Louis also fails to get 2 points out of their next 4 we still win the conference. Although that won't help us win the PT . If we lose the next two and NYR does as well they get it by virtue of owning the tie breaker. But if we get 2 out of four points and St. Louis gets 3 or less then we also win the conference. Likewise if we get 2 of four and NYR get 1 or less we win the PT. If we get 1 point and St. Louis gets 1 or less and NYR get 0 then, well you get the picture.

Just wanted to clear that up so everyone knows whats what.

So the bottom line is this:

If we get 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the our 4 points we still have a chance to win both the West and the PT depending upon whether St. Louis and NYR get 0, 1, 2,3 or 4 of their next 4 points.



:?

Two wins, win the Conference.

:P


Yes that works too Donny. Are you free Saturday?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby donlever » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:33 am

...always HW.

:sly:
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:50 am

Injury Update:

Luongo still suffering from nagging neck injury. He describes it as a neck pain you get when you sleep on it wrong and it is still bothering him. Not enough that he would miss the playoffs but enough that he has problems turning his head to the one side ( I don't know which side). As we all know, at least those with neck pain, rest, massage and heat work best. Muscle relaxants can work too.

He has some difficulty with quick reflexes with the affected arm. Considering just another of those nagging tweaks one gets during the season it is not expected to keep him from starting game one. But one never knows. This year the Canucks have the luxury of starting Cory if Luongo is not 100% and if it is felt that the neck pain and stiffness may hamper his ability in the net.

As it stands he is expected to get game one. He is slated to work the last game of the season against Edmonton but he is now day to day with that. It is not considered a serious injury but one that will clear up relatively soon.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4217
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby donlever » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:11 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Injury Update:

Luongo still suffering from nagging neck injury. It is not considered a serious injury but one that will clear up relatively soon.


So why is he in goal against Anaheim the other night?

What is with these guys (pb's) and that guy (SuperLuo)?

It's like the fucking Guiding Light or something.
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Meds » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 am

Hockey Widow wrote:So the bottom line is this:

If we get 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 of the our 4 points we still have a chance to win both the West and the PT depending upon whether St. Louis and NYR get 0, 1, 2,3 or 4 of their next 4 points.


Actually we need at least 1 point to have a shot at the PT, and we need to get 1 more point than New York to do it as they hold the tie breaker.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:11 am

Too bad about Lou's neck.

Was slumming it on the CDC and the lineup posted has MAG on the #1 pairing with Elder.

I was like WTF? Give MAG 25 min worth of opportunities to serve pucks up right in from of Schnieds?

sure he needs one more game to make sure he doesn't fall into the UFA zone in 2012/13 but first line pairing? God I hope that is an oversight on the CDC announcement and that the pairings will change!
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Larry Goodenough » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:20 am

wafflecombine wrote:Too bad about Lou's neck.

Was slumming it on the CDC and the lineup posted has MAG on the #1 pairing with Elder.

I was like WTF? Give MAG 25 min worth of opportunities to serve pucks up right in from of Schnieds?

sure he needs one more game to make sure he doesn't fall into the UFA zone in 2012/13 but first line pairing? God I hope that is an oversight on the CDC announcement and that the pairings will change!


It's an exhibition game.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:43 am

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby donlever » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am

..is it the #1 pairing because it is listed first?

Of that group I'd go with Hammer and Tanev as the #1 pairing tonight.

Quite possibly the dudes last game for quite a while regardless.

He has to play the right side with someone, either Hammer or Edler. We're gonna send him out there with Alberts?

Meh...
A different goddamn hockey talk messageboard!
User avatar
donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby wafflecombine » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:31 am

Elder - MAG
Hammer - Tanev
Alberts - Salo

Juice and Ballard traveling with the team apparently. Neither will play. Juice maintaining his maintenance and Ballard practicing to preparing to come back for the playoffs (hopefully).
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Benjo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 am

I'm a big fan of both of our goalies but if Lu still has neck pains and can't comfortably turn his head and has slower reflexes he shouldn't be playing. Why play your 1A at 95% when you can play your 1B who is at 100%?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 681
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Arachnid » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 pm

So uuuuum where's the babes?

Image*

:thumbs:

*for HW
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5146
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Flames 6PM PST SNET

Postby Arachnid » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

(p)Ooops, I better stay on topic or I'll get a [CornEdit]

Image




*again for HW (I really hope she likes it, I hope she likes kids... :| )
There is no such thing as climate change...there is no such thing as climate change...there is such thing as climate change...
Arachnid
CC Legend
 
Posts: 5146
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: Old Berlin

Next

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest