GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

Post by Meds »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:On top of all that he gets paid like no other goalie in the league. Yet we're the bad guy for disapproving a bad game??? Suck it up!
Roberto Luongo. $6.7M - Cap hit $5.3M

Ilya Bryzgalov. $10M - Cap hit: $5.6M

Martin Brodeur. $5.2M - Cap hit $5.2M

Mikka Kiprusoff. $6M - Cap hit: $5.8M

Ryan Miller. $6.2M - Cap hit: $6.2M

Henrik Lunqvist. $6.8M - Cap hit: $6.8M

Pekke Rinne. $7M - Cap hit: $7M

Niklas Backstrom. $6M - Cap hit: $6M

Cristobal Huet. $5.6M - Cap hit: $5.6M

Cam Ward. $6.3M - Cap hit: $6.3M

Tim Thomas. $5M - Cap hit: $5M

MA Fleury. $5.5M - Cap hit: $5M

Luongo is the 4th lowest on that list in terms of cap hit. He is in the top half for actual salary (this year). The only reason Brodeur isn't at the top of that list is because he discounted himself to stay in New Jersey.

So you were saying..... :roll:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Very interesting stats. I wouldn't have guessed that Luongo's salary was so comparatively low.
Mëds wrote:
Roberto Luongo. $6.7M - Cap hit $5.3M

Ilya Bryzgalov. $10M - Cap hit: $5.6M

Martin Brodeur. $5.2M - Cap hit $5.2M

Mikka Kiprusoff. $6M - Cap hit: $5.8M

Ryan Miller. $6.2M - Cap hit: $6.2M

Henrik Lunqvist. $6.8M - Cap hit: $6.8M

Pekke Rinne. $7M - Cap hit: $7M

Niklas Backstrom. $6M - Cap hit: $6M

Cristobal Huet. $5.6M - Cap hit: $5.6M

Cam Ward. $6.3M - Cap hit: $6.3M

Tim Thomas. $5M - Cap hit: $5M

MA Fleury. $5.5M - Cap hit: $5M

Luongo is the 4th lowest on that list in terms of cap hit. He is in the top half for actual salary (this year). The only reason Brodeur isn't at the top of that list is because he discounted himself to stay in New Jersey.

So you were saying..... :roll:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Mëds wrote: So you were saying..... :roll:

I meant his total 35 year contract..or however long it is. 64 $chmilleroonies guaranteed to him.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:

I meant his total 35 year contract..or however long it is. 64 $chmilleroonies guaranteed to him.
Which matters absolutely nothing to the team. In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.

The only person concerned with the actual annual salary should be the guy signing the paycheques.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:

Which matters absolutely nothing to the team. In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.

The only person concerned with the actual annual salary should be the guy signing the paycheques.

And even better if he makes 5.3.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: Which matters absolutely nothing to the team. In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.

And even better if he makes 5.3.
What's a measly $266,666.67 amongst friends?
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.
Give your head a shake and get your facts right.

It's $5.3M against our cap.
Diplomatic enough?

Ps. -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9207&p=132552#p132552
Island Nucklehead wrote:
There are retards in every city,for sure, but ours get a lot of print/airtime/tv time and the mouth-breathers ingest it all and colour all of us reasonable fans as cousin-fuckers.
Pride always comes before a fall Knucklehead. Remember that the next time you decide to run your mouth without showing any tact.

Good day.
Last edited by Farhan Lalji on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Another thing is if he was/is a victim, boo-fucking-hoo! C'mon, for someone who needs his ego fed constantly he must be pretty full playing in an arena that belts out "Loooooo" after every save. Is there another goalie in the league that has that kind of audible support?? Mix in the odd jeers now and then and aw man poor guy don't deserve it.
You make it seem like it was an isolated incident, it wasn't. This has been festering all year.

Also, your claim that he constantly needs his ego fed is speculative at best.
Nuckertuzzi wrote: The guy's been babied throughout his time here having his way pretty much since day one..unlike anything I've seen from a single player. When you tell your coach "don't you dare pull me" after getting shelled the way he did against the B's in Game 3, and he gets his wish completely undeservingly, it tells you just how much pull the guy gets. On top of all that he gets paid like no other goalie in the league. Yet we're the bad guy for disapproving a bad game??? Suck it up!
For someone who doesn't want to be associated with the boo bird, why are you including yourself in the "we" and why do you feel like the "bad guy"?

For all the talk that Luongo gets preferential treatment, he had the C taken away from him and he no longer decides how much or how often he plays.

Did you forget him getting benched in game 6 against Chicago?

He also did get pulled, a few times in the playoffs. Is he selfish for saying don't pull me once? In a game that was already lost?

I'm sorry, but these aren't substantive claims that justify anything.

Other goalies get paid more per year and make similar amounts over the course of their contracts, and his deal is certainly exceeded by more than a few skaters.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.
Give your head a shake and get your facts right.

It's $5.3M against our cap.

Diplomatic enough?
By golly you're right! Come to think of it, trading Lou for John "young elite center that is on the verge of being a dominant # 1 center" Tavares and his $5.5M extension would be nearly a wash!!!

Hop on the PS3 and let us know how it works out!!
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Which matters absolutely nothing to the team. In fact, we should be happy we're getting such a quality goalie for $5.6M against our cap.

You missed the point. What he makes this season, what we're hit with in regards to salary cap, and what he's delivered so far this year..all of that I'm absolutely fine with. I'm not talking about his salary vs. performance which is fine. I'm talking about the jeering and the treatment from the fans. That's a very small price to pay when it's all said and done he's going to have 64 mill in his account. I'd rather be on his side making that kind of coin and take a few verbal shots than the folks shelling out a hundred bucks on chump salaries to watch him play. They're ultimately the ones lining his pockets..if they're not happy with a bad game, they paid their right to voice their displeasure.

If I'm Lu and I don't like the jeering and want to put an end to it, there is a way to do that.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

coco_canuck wrote: You make it seem like it was an isolated incident, it wasn't. This has been festering all year.

It may have been festering but actual jeering has happened only a few times this year. Not enough where it's been an ongoing everyday issue.

coco_canuck wrote: Also, your claim that he constantly needs his ego fed is speculative at best.

When a guy publicly expresses his desire to have his tires pumped I think it's a little more than speculation. No, Luongo does have an ego..that's pretty evident, let's not kid ourselves about that. I personally don't mind it too much as long as it helps the team and doesn't get in the way of their success..like it did with the Thomas thing last year.

coco_canuck wrote: For someone who doesn't want to be associated with the boo bird, why are you including yourself in the "we" and why do you feel like the "bad guy"?

Because the media (TSN) painted a picture of Canucks fans being too harsh on him..hence 'we' and 'bad guy'.

coco_canuck wrote: For all the talk that Luongo gets preferential treatment, he had the C taken away from him and he no longer decides how much or how often he plays.
From what I recall management/coaches were very sensitive to that issue worrying about his frame of mind by making such a move. Basically they wanted his approval and didn't exactly tear it off is chest..so to speak.

coco_canuck wrote: Is he selfish for saying don't pull me once? In a game that was already lost?

You're right he doesn't have a history of pulling that, I'll give you that. But even though it happened once in that particular instance I did think it was selfish. Schneids had been an absolutely fantastic teammate all year..here's a chance to reward a kid from Boston with a chance to play in the SCF in front of family and friends. Like you said the game was lost at the time, I believe 4 or 5 zip, so why not, there was nothing to lose. But nope, it wasn't about having a combative spirit it was simply that Lu couldn't deal with further humiliation so he had to stay in..how does he reward the coach, with another 3 or 4 goals.

Granted the Schneider angle should be furthest from his mind at the time..but I still think it was selfish an ego driven.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Nuckertuzzi wrote: I'm talking about the jeering and the treatment from the fans. That's a very small price to pay when it's all said and done he's going to have 64 mill in his account. I'd rather be on his side making that kind of coin and take a few verbal shots than the folks shelling out a hundred bucks on chump salaries to watch him play. They're ultimately the ones lining his pockets..if they're not happy with a bad game, they paid their right to voice their displeasure.
Absolutely agree. But it's all relative in a league of millionaires. I didn't notice them booing Gragnani whenever he touched the puck. Nor did I notice them booing David Booth when he got on the ice. Or Kesler and his -3. Boo the goalie, because he wasted that shutout, and I read in the paper and heard on the radio that this Snyder guy coming in is the second coming, and that Lulongo creature made $10M last season...
If I'm Lu and I don't like the jeering and want to put an end to it, there is a way to do that.
At this point I think the only way he does that is to win one more game than last year. For most of us, that's a bit much. If Luongo plays lights out, and the scoring dries up again and we lose, they will call for his head. There are a lot of good teams in the league, and while it's nice to have high hopes and expectations, booing someone in a pretty much meaningless game heading into the playoffs while the team is on a 6-0 run is absurd.

Teams like Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto deserve to be booed. You don't harass your starting goalie when you're tied for first in the league. How arrogant is that??
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I get embarrassed when that Shit happens..deserved or not. Shows only one level of attainable class......3rd
Last edited by rats19 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: When a guy publicly expresses his desire to have his tires pumped I think it's a little more than speculation. No, Luongo does have an ego..that's pretty evident, let's not kid ourselves about that. I personally don't mind it too much as long as it helps the team and doesn't get in the way of their success..like it did with the Thomas thing last year.
Speaking of feeding into the media BS.

Luongo shouldn't have said what he said and it bit him in the ass, but talk about making a mountain out of grain of sand.
Nuckertuzzi wrote: Because the media (TSN) painted a picture of Canucks fans being too harsh on him..hence 'we' and 'bad guy'.
As they should.

Two riots in less than 20 years, and one of the most fickle fan bases you can find. Not to mention a silent, corporate crowd that need a playoff game to get going.

Luongo was jeered in one of the early games of the season, and was now jeered in the midst of what became a 7 game winning streak.

We're not talking about jeering him after a long stretch of shitty play, or shitting the bed in a huge game.

The timing is beyond ridiculous, and I don't buy any justifications for it.
Nuckertuzzi wrote: From what I recall management/coaches were very sensitive to that issue worrying about his frame of mind by making such a move. Basically they wanted his approval and didn't exactly tear it off is chest..so to speak.
When is taking the captaincy away from a player you want to keep on your roster not a sensitive issue?

Did you want them to literally rip off the C?
Nuckertuzzi wrote: But nope, it wasn't about having a combative spirit it was simply that Lu couldn't deal with further humiliation so he had to stay in..how does he reward the coach, with another 3 or 4 goals.

Granted the Schneider angle should be furthest from his mind at the time..but I still think it was selfish an ego driven.
Right, it was all about Luongo's ego, and it's so UNLIKE a starting goalie to offer up a start in the cup final to his back-up.

Could the coaching staff's insistence to start Luongo have anything to do with concern over how Cory would perform, especially when his previous start he made two big puck handling mistakes that resulted in goals, and he couldn't finish the game because he cramped up?

Luongo had 2 shutouts in the cup final, and I understood the argument to start Schneider in game 6, but Luongo was their guy, and deserved the chance to close out with the cup.

This time around, the leash won't be as long if the need arises.

Arm-chair-psychologist assumptions don't really strengthen an argument.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

rats19 wrote:O get embarrassed when that Shit happens..deserved or not. Shows only one level of attainable class......3rd
So do I.

Continuing the fans/canucks girlfriend analogy, these jeering outbursts is left-over venom from Boston and Chicago.

It's just like your girlfriend/wife bringing up something you did two years ago because something reminded them of it.

Canucks fans jeering a player on this team at this point in time is being a whiny little bitch.