GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

dbr wrote: I'm not particularly into your 'it takes Luongo weeks to shrug off a bad goal' narrative

I was exaggerating a little when I said it took him three weeks to shrug off Leino's goal. But that goal did spark a three week slump by the entire team and really it took Luongo 4 games after the Buffalo game to get back on track.

But generally, it does take him a while to shrug off bad goals. I hate to keep bringing up the playoffs but his history is there the past three seasons. He almost always follows up a bad game with another...I can point them all out for you if you want me to.

dbr wrote: the Canucks got down a couple of goals and then fell right into the trap of playing the way that makes Luongo look worst
I don't think it's so much the team falling into the trap as much as getting off their game because they lost trust in him. A lot of times you see a team lose their structure and wind up running around it's a result of trying to overcompensate because they're not sure their keeper will stop the puck. A softy like the one he let in today will do that.

dbr wrote: Schneider seems to be better at shutting the door in more wide open games.
So if Lu can play well in one type of game and Schneids can play well in either...hmmm???
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Cornuck wrote:Ok - - enough photos. I don't want to have to delete any more.
Then don't?

I do not want to face the wrath of Donald S Lever.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Mëds wrote:Agreed on that. Apart from games 3 and 4 in Boston, every time Luongo had a "shit game" last spring he would rebound with an incredible performance and play like a man possessed.

Have we forgotten about those back-to-back stinkers against the Hawks?..and the stinkers against the Hawks the season previous..and again against the Hawks the season previous to that???

Yes I agree aside from those meltdowns he's been incredible in the playoffs often looking like a man possessed. Unfortunately though the ratio of those games to the brutal ones weren't good enough for us to get it done. Of the 47 games he's played in the past three playoffs, he stunk it out in 12 of them giving us little to no chance to win those games. 12 in 47!...that's almost 1 out of every 4 playoff games..almost 2 games per series. We can point to a lot of factors but that's what ultimately cost us.

I'm not so much trying to bash Luongo as I'm saying I think we can make it work even with that discrepancy as long as we utilize the other option properly. As soon as Lu shows signs, like he did tonight, we can't be nearly as patient and waste the answer sitting on the bench..otherwise we're toast. Schneids MUST play some games this year..if it comes to that.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Lapdog has six points (3G 3A) over the last five games! :o

Not sure he'll be sending any get well cards to Daniel... :?
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It poses an interesting dilemma doesn't it. Hank's line works very well together as it forces Hank to be more creative. Both Burrows and Lappy will go to the net and have great shots. It makes the line tough to play against.

The third line is fine the way it is.

So the question becomes who plays on the second line. We know Kesler will be there. Should we try Dank? Keep Booth? Put Bitz in? Put Kassian in? Leave Raymond. We have choices and I for one would like to see a little mix up in the lines. Of course this weakens our 4th line depending upon how AV wants to mix it but Manny seems more than capable of holding down the centre spot there. And there is always Reiprecht when he gets recalled although I doubt Manny sits for him.

But it is an interesting question on how do you fix the second line? We need it going in the playoffs and Kesler and Booth need something on their line. Maybe Lappy and put Dank on the 1st again?
The only HW the Canucks need
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Luongo by and large has had a great season. However, right now he is struggling. While many will point to 3 goals not being his fault last night and that is certainly correct I look at things as the Ducks scored 4 goals off of what looked to be 3 scoring chances. He wasn't on last night and the pull was the correct coaching move because Luongo wasn't feeling it AND because the team was sleepwalking through the second.

However, the fan reaction was stupid. It really was.

It will be interesting to see what happens from here on out. If the fans get on Luongo for every little mistake it makes Gillis' decision this summer pretty easy.

Hank, Burrows, Lappy, Higgins and Hansen are feeling it.

Kesler is coasting. At least he better be.
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Hockey Widow wrote: But it is an interesting question on how do you fix the second line? We need it going in the playoffs and Kesler and Booth need something on their line. Maybe Lappy and put Dank on the 1st again?
Wow - a full page short of double digits on the thread....between the cleavage and Lou getting the cleaver thought this would be into the 'teens.

Anyway....to HW's point above, the 2nd line (and I'd add in the PP) appear to be the weak links heading into next week. Of course, with Kesler I'm hopeful there's another gear, but the long term effects of the hip still continue to linger IMO. I've heard Ferraro mention numerous times that it takes the full year for the body heal from injuries like that until you feel 100% normal and can do all the things you used to. And for the type of game Kes plays, I fully buy into that.

That aside, Booth - Kesler combination has yet to gel consistently, and with Booth's minutes going south lately it's not helping any. Really I"m at a loss with the line, so Lappy on the 2nd may be interesting and no worse than what we're seeing now.

You think Kesler really misses Samuelson that much? :D
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

SO I guess the simplest way of looking at the game was Luongo went 'tits up'?
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I'm also not convinced the 4th goal is Gragnani's fault. I know everyone is saying that's his man etc etc etc and perhaps they are correct. But I bet you dollars to doughnuts that every D-man on the canucks plays that the same way which leads me to believe it is a planned coverage play. It also seems to me that the guy on the ice that ended up getting demoted was Raymond and not anyone else (Raymond was the guy desperately trying to get to goal scorer). I don't know as I only watched one replay but it just seems like that is how the canucks play that scenario.

Not to say Gragnani was good because he was far from good.

I'd like to mention that rarely in an extended winning streak is every game an oil painting. Once you start getting past even a few wins in a row you can bet there are some stinkers or uneven efforts.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

So is it Mank?

Lank?

Maxank?

Meh, Luongo had a bad game, it's his birthday today, he was looking forward to his liaison d'etre this evening.

AV should know this shit and not start him in that type of situation.

Lol @ Gragnani....#wtfdude?

Hopefully KB is off maintenance soon so Salo can have a couple of days off.

To bad Hammer and Eddy couldn't get some maintenance time as well.
DeLevering since 1999.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

As I watched Gragnani skate around freelancing, I was wondering why the hell he was dressed - of course it is his free agency status:

He achieves Group VI free agency (UFA) if he does not play 80 games, regular season plus playoffs, by the end of this season.

He is currently at 79 (Mark Gragnani). So they need to play him in one more game, but thankfully I can't see him getting any ice in the playoffs based on what he has been able to give the Canucks so far...

S_C
Last edited by Southern_Canuck on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a great day for hockey!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Time to bring back the Ballroom Bitz. Kassian needs to go to Chicago once healed.

What's the deal with that Air Bubble - David 'Puck Flapper' Booth?

Liking Hansen, Hank and Lappy lately.

Why is Malhotra still playing? Mr. effin Useless.

Gragnani is terrible. But like Malhotra, he is AV's boi.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Lots about that game was questionable for sure.

One thing that wasn't, was how proud Salo looked having his son out there for introductions. I thought Sami was going to bust open. Future canucks blueliner???????
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

wafflecombine wrote:Lots about that game was questionable for sure.

One thing that wasn't, was how proud Salo looked having his son out there for introductions. I thought Sami was going to bust open. Future canucks blueliner???????
It's funny that even Salo's kid was not afraid to hit Raymond during the warmup... :lol:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

wafflecombine wrote:I thought Sami was going to bust open.
Another improbable Salo injury listed after 'snake bite' and 'floorball'?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!