GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

Post by Jovocop »

dbr wrote:
dhabums wrote:Image
Where'd her glasses go?
Here you go, dbr

dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:One bad goal but he's still gotta make a few tough saves. Had we lost, the blame really would've gone to AV on this one...it's about learning from the past and recognizing early if if your goalie's on his game or not.

I don't know what's more alarming...the fact coaching staff failed to realize/remember Lu is terrible against the Ducks,..the fact it took the 4th goal to pull him when it was almost too late and when it was clear by his 2nd or 3rd goal that he was off,...or the fact it took almost 5 periods for Schneids to get back into the net after one of the greatest goaltending performances of the year (of which there were many by both goalies mind you) against Dallas.

I'm not exactly calling for the Keenan hook but somewhere between the two extremes is the approach I'm looking for. We might've had a few more points in the standings with these Duck games alone.
I'm not particularly into your 'it takes Luongo weeks to shrug off a bad goal' narrative, personally I just think that Luongo is airtight when the team in front of him is executing properly, and Schneider seems to be better at shutting the door in more wide open games.

(This is really evident when the team is in a position where they have to open things up to try to get back into a game - personally I think this is what made those SCF losses so ugly, the Canucks got down a couple of goals and then fell right into the trap of playing the way that makes Luongo look worst - high-risk plays that increase the number of odd man rushes surrendered - and when the players getting those chances are speedy guys with quick releases Lou looks even worse.)

Still I agree that the coaching staff need to better identify opportunities to change the course of a game by switching goaltenders - if the Canucks skaters are going to trade chances all night or let players take the puck to the next unmolested then I think if/when Lou falters it's time to make the switch..
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:Perhaps Luongo should not be blamed on three of the four goals that he gave up. However, he did not make any great saves to give the team a chance. Schneider came in and shut the door rest of the way. Seriously, does anyone think Luongo could have done the same? :?:
No. The team still scrambled in front of Schneider for 10 minutes before they put it together. There were a couple of saves that Schneider made that would have found a way through, under, or over Luongo. As much as Luongo said that there were some saves that Thomas was going to make that he wouldn't, and vice versa, the same is true of Schneider and Lou. Too bad for Lou there are more saves that he won't make but Schneider will. Schneider has perfect butterfly form and at times I think he must have some kind of bionic or mutated knee joints. His pads eliminate the bottom of the net while he stays totally upright and gives shooters nothing.....even when he moves across the crease he stays up, whereas Luongo becomes more scrambled and has more holes as he tries to cover the most net that he can.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Don't we need 10 pages before tomorrow morning?

Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dbr wrote:I'm not particularly into your 'it takes Luongo weeks to shrug off a bad goal' narrative, personally I just think that Luongo is airtight when the team in front of him is executing properly, and Schneider seems to be better at shutting the door in more wide open games.

(This is really evident when the team is in a position where they have to open things up to try to get back into a game - personally I think this is what made those SCF losses so ugly, the Canucks got down a couple of goals and then fell right into the trap of playing the way that makes Luongo look worst - high-risk plays that increase the number of odd man rushes surrendered - and when the players getting those chances are speedy guys with quick releases Lou looks even worse.)

Still I agree that the coaching staff need to better identify opportunities to change the course of a game by switching goaltenders - if the Canucks skaters are going to trade chances all night or let players take the puck to the next unmolested then I think if/when Lou falters it's time to make the switch..
Agreed on that. Apart from games 3 and 4 in Boston, every time Luongo had a "shit game" last spring he would rebound with an incredible performance and play like a man possessed. The shutout in game 5 was a perfect example. He owned that game, Boston never stood a chance of scoring on him.

Your second point about games where he looks bad when the Canucks have to open it up to chase down a team that got up on them early is good too. I think this means that the coaching staff needs to be quicker to pull Luongo in those games. If the opponent has speed and decent defense and transition, then 2-0 in the early second period means that Luongo needs to come out.

The only flaw in your argument if it is a defense of Lou case, is that Schneider also plays execptionally well in games where the team is dialed in. With Schneids you have the best of both worlds, with Luongo you have to micro-manage.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Jovocop wrote:Schneider came in and shut the door rest of the way. Seriously, does anyone think Luongo could have done the same? :?:
Yes. On a different night.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

I'll save a few if we need them before Donny shows up.

For all of the MAG mistakes, I do like his offensive instincts. Maybe a Jovo/Ehrhoff lite. Or perhaps not. Worth the shot though.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote: Where'd her glasses go?
On my nightstand?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ok - - enough photos. I don't want to have to delete any more.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."