GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

Post by coco_canuck »

Only in Vancouver will a 7 game win streak be overshadowed by a secondary narrative.

There is something about the North American northwest that produces a lot of mentally challenged and irrational people.

Or maybe, it's just that the average person is pretty dumb, and the average hockey fan is even dumber than that.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

coco_canuck wrote:Only in Vancouver will a 7 game win streak be overshadowed by a secondary narrative.

There is something about the North American northwest that produces a lot of mentally challenged and irrational people.

Or maybe, it's just that the average person is pretty dumb, and the average hockey fan is even dumber than that.
Or the fact no teams ever win anything important.

The booing was stupid but Luongo has to take some blame for his antics over the past 3 - 4 seasons, I am talking about him being Captain, him flopping around the ice, him throwing his team mates under the bus, never taking accountability and of course his cap hit.

I believe he should start the playoffs, he may have a bad game and if so then go back with him the following game but if there are 2 stinkers in a row then CS gets the start and plays all future games unless he falters.

Just get this silly season over with so we can figure out where they are playing and I can book time in my calendar as busy so I can get home in time for those eastern games.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

coco_canuck wrote:Only in Vancouver will a 7 game win streak be overshadowed by a secondary narrative.

20 some odd years ago, I remember the Province flipping its lid over a franchise record breaking 7 game win streak. I think we missed the playoffs that year.

When a 7 game win streak is a secondary story in Vancouver, that is a GOOD thing. It's all about the big picture now.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Watching last nights game I started to think of some of the players ratings.

Edler to me has taken a step backwards this season
Booth, has limited skills. He's primarily a shooter.
Raymond is fast and did i say he's fast
Kassian, seems to be in a daze
Luongo is not a brick wall.
Burrows/Higgins/Hansen are the best value on the team
Schneider's personality was made for his position.
Salo can still play, but looks like he is slowing down...just a tad
Bieska drifts in and out of consciousness, really laying an egg now and then
Hamhuis is our best D.
Kesler is a better quality Booth with great defensive abilities..I don't think we'll see another 40 goal season from him
Malhotra may never regain his pre injury status
Pahlsson might be worth resigning
Tanev on an upward curve
The twins carry the team
AV able to keep this group together and fall into a system that produces the end product..priceless.

This might keep a few of you screaming and yelling for a while :o :o
cheers
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Fred wrote:Watching last nights game I started to think of some of the players ratings.

Hamhuis is our best D.
Kesler is a better quality Booth with great defensive abilities..I don't think we'll see another 40 goal season from him
Tanev on an upward curve
The twins carry the team
AV able to keep this group together and fall into a system that produces the end product..priceless.

You're assessing players after an exhibition game? Was Bieksa laying the egg while eating popcorn in the pressbox?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Fred wrote:Watching last nights game I started to think of some of the players ratings.

Hamhuis is our best D.
Tanev on an upward curve
The twins carry the team

You're assessing players after an exhibition game? Was Bieksa laying the egg while eating popcorn in the pressbox?
He said watching the game, he "started to think of some of the players" - it was not an assessment based solely on the game itself... if at all, I suppose.

...at 10 pages yet?
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

In an effort to get this to page 10 and to take Fred to task for ignoring many of the other attributes Mason brings to the team, it needs to be added that he also is:
- quick
- brings great speed into the line up
- very fleet of foot
- a swift skater
- has impressive acceleration
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

As George Carlin used to lament

" Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." :lol: :lol:
cheers
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

newcanuckfan wrote:

In an effort to get this to page 10 and to take Fred to task for ignoring many of the other attributes Mason brings to the team, it needs to be added that he also is:
- quick
- brings great speed into the line up
- very fleet of foot
- a swift skater
- has impressive acceleration
And as a top 6 forward to often fails miserably to score on any kind of consistent bases....and that my friend is one of his prime jobs. By the way another great skater had all those same skills you list...Toller Cranston :D
Last edited by Fred on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hamhuis is our best D.
Tanev on an upward curve
The twins carry the team

I believe that this regular season is more like a preseason for most of the players on this team. The real season starts next week.

As for your evaluation, I have a few comments:

Booth is not brought in here mainly for skills. His primary focus is to use his size and speed take the puck to the dirty area. Something that the Canucks were lacking last season.

Raymond is fast but...

Kassian is still young. Also, his condition is not up to par with the rest of the team. However, he brings something that the Canucks were sorely lacking, size, mean streak, and power. For the limited games that I saw so far, he has quite a bit of skills.

Burrows/Higgins/Hansen are the best value on the team. Agreed but I would also put Tanev in that group.

Kesler is still recovering from his surgery this past summer. I would not write him off yet.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Tanev last night was ...swatted away by an opponent. He's good but he's awfully light right now. Lets hope he shows some offensive side in the future

Kassian I tried to give him a few games before making any judgement but he's had a few games now and shows the same now as he did when he first arrived. I will say this for a young kid to play against men is very tough, I'm hoping he'll grow into his job (mentally ) and start to dominate. Vcr is trying to get bigger it's a shame they didn't recognize the need earlier in the Sedins time frame.
Last edited by Fred on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Reefer2 wrote: The booing was stupid but Luongo has to take some blame for his antics over the past 3 - 4 seasons, I am talking about him being Captain, him flopping around the ice, him throwing his team mates under the bus, never taking accountability and of course his cap hit.
Ah, yes the tired old reasons.

He's no longer captain, he flops no less than any other goalie in the league, and he's been the most accountable player the Canucks have had this year.

Have you paid any attention to his post-game comments after a poor performance this season?

What else should he take accountability for?

Being the winningest goalie since the lockout?

Being the only goalie in history to have 11 straight years of .910SV% or better?

The fact that he's never lost in the first round?

Winning an olympic gold medal?

Getting to game 7 of the Stanley Cup?

The likelihood that he'll be the 2nd winningest goalie of all-time when he retires?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: When a 7 game win streak is a secondary story in Vancouver, that is a GOOD thing. It's all about the big picture now.
:lol:

Canucks fans and big picture?

Hahaha
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Fred wrote:Tanev last night was ...swatted away by an opponent. He's good but he's awfully light right now
He's got some warts but I'll take his game over many big strong guys who don't have what he has any day. He's a plus 9 in 24 games even with the warts and looking better and better everyday. Size/strength can be added. We got a beauty.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Fred wrote:Tanev last night was ...swatted away by an opponent. He's good but he's awfully light right now. Lets hope he shows some offensive side in the future
And going back to Raymond... is there an easier guy to swat in the league right now? A gentle waving motion from afar will knock him over. I was very afraid for his female fan base last night when Brookbank almost mangled his good looks.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!