GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Ducks 7PM PST TSN

Post by herb »

Mëds wrote:Are you saying we should dump Luongo and go scout Japan for a replacement?
No, I'm saying sometimes you don't need that fancy, exotic toy that ends up being high maintenance over time.

Reliability is nice. Being stranded on the side of the road 1,000 miles from home blows.

I don't ride Harley's so an American bike wouldn't do for me. Schneider (or is it Snyder) seems pretty low maintenance to me. I think over time he would do.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

There is a wide range of emotion and opinion when it comes to Luongo, and I think it's for good reason.

It's especially funny for me because Luongo haters think that I wear rosy colored glasses in regards to Lou, while the Luongo lovers think that I'm too hard on the guy.

I think Luongo has proven that he can play exceptionally well in both the regular season and playoffs. However, it's his consistency.....or lack thereof......come playoff time that I find truly perplexing. However - I have also noticed that there is a very very strong correlation between the health of or defense and Lou's performance come playoff time.

If the Canucks' defense can stay reasonably healthy come playoff time, then I think Lou will play at a superstar level more often, with the 'stinkers' being minimized. (all elite goalies have at least 1-2 stinkers)
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

herb wrote: I don't ride Harley's so an American bike wouldn't do for me. Schneider (or is it Snyder) seems pretty low maintenance to me. I think over time he would do.
The problem with a Honda is, it's reliable, but it's also average in many ways, which prevents it from excelling in a high-end race.

Luckily, Schneider is a reliable, high-end sports car.

But one thing is true for all cars, you don't really know what you have until you've put some mileage on it, and even the best initial experience can change once you've been through some arduous trips and roads.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote: If the Canucks' defense can stay reasonably healthy come playoff time, then I think Lou will play at a superstar level more often, with the 'stinkers' being minimized. (all elite goalies have at least 1-2 stinkers)
My issue with the Luongo criticism doesn't have anything to do with preferring Schneider long-term or criticizing Luongo's poor performances.

What I don't have time for is knee-jerk reactions, hyperbole, unfair criticism and poor arguments.

Such as jeering Luongo (btw, I'd say the same if the blamed any of the team's star players) in game 79, during a 7 game winning streak.

Criticizing Luongo's psyche, personality, and then tying causal links to his relationship with his teammates and the level of effect it has on the team. Granted, some of it is justified. Luongo has come off as fragile on a few occasions, but criticizing him for being a bad teammate and selfish when he's been humbled and much more accountable this year is stupid.

Clamouring for Schneider to get the full time #1 job right now, and being convinced Schneider is infallible.

Saying Luongo is not one of the best goalies in the league based on specific games and playoff success, and then supporting the claim that other goalies, with less experience and even more spotty playoff records are better.

It's about being reasonable, and more often than not, the criticism directed at Luo has been unreasonable.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote: Such as jeering Luongo (btw, I'd say the same if the blamed any of the team's star players) in game 79, during a 7 game winning streak.
Bah, who cares.

Some fukin pimply faced morons at their first game with Daddys business tickets cause no one wants to watch exhibiiton hockey jeered because Blake Price says Luongo lets in softies and Schneider should start the post season.

Meh....
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: Bah, who cares.

Some fukin pimply faced morons at their first game with Daddys business tickets cause no one wants to watch exhibiiton hockey jeered because Blake Price says Luongo lets in softies and Schneider should start the post season.

Meh....
It was stupid during the game, and it really didn't bother me all that much, it was embarrassing, but that in itself isn't my issue. I'm more perturbed by justifications offered from it, and I'm not talking about yahoos calling the radio show.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote: I'm more perturbed by justifications offered from it, and I'm not talking about yahoos calling the radio show.
Yeah I hear ya, but like I said in another thread, Luongo gets as much, if not more, positive affirmation as any Canuck.

Christ, fans cheer him when the puck rolls into his crease from the opposition blue line.

Let Mondi believe what he wants to believe.

:D
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: Christ, fans cheer him when the puck rolls into his crease from the opposition blue line.
A couple of years ago they even cheered him going for pucks behind the net. First I thought they were being sarcastic because of his poor puck-handling skills (which have improved), but being at the game, people were actually giving supporting cheers.

Yes, it does go both ways.

Oh, and my issue wasn't the top 5 discussion this time around.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...my bad, I've been speed reading through the Luongo stuff.

The room starts to spin otherwise.

:)
DeLevering since 1999.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

don't get a Porsche 930 Turbo for a goaltender
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

This!
coco_canuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: If the Canucks' defense can stay reasonably healthy come playoff time, then I think Lou will play at a superstar level more often, with the 'stinkers' being minimized. (all elite goalies have at least 1-2 stinkers)
My issue with the Luongo criticism doesn't have anything to do with preferring Schneider long-term or criticizing Luongo's poor performances.

What I don't have time for is knee-jerk reactions, hyperbole, unfair criticism and poor arguments.

Such as jeering Luongo (btw, I'd say the same if the blamed any of the team's star players) in game 79, during a 7 game winning streak.

Criticizing Luongo's psyche, personality, and then tying causal links to his relationship with his teammates and the level of effect it has on the team. Granted, some of it is justified. Luongo has come off as fragile on a few occasions, but criticizing him for being a bad teammate and selfish when he's been humbled and much more accountable this year is stupid.

Clamouring for Schneider to get the full time #1 job right now, and being convinced Schneider is infallible.

Saying Luongo is not one of the best goalies in the league based on specific games and playoff success, and then supporting the claim that other goalies, with less experience and even more spotty playoff records are better.

It's about being reasonable, and more often than not, the criticism directed at Luo has been unreasonable.
Couldn't have put it better myself. It's not the criticism that bothers me when it's fair, but in a season like the one we're having, to jeer a guy who's been your horse for years, got you to game 7 of the finals (with 2 SOs in the series btw) with 3 games to go is abso-frickin-loutely ridiculous. I can not believe this city.

It's the same thing for anything Canucks related though. We win games 5-4, all you hear is "their defensive game is suffering". We win back-to-back 1-0 games, it's "the offense has dried up!". You just can't please some people. Not that media helps this at all with their apparent inability to write a positive article about a team fighting to lead the league in points.

Fair criticism is all well and good. This stuff's just ridiculous.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
As in.. game 7 of the Cup finals where we score 0 goals?
Uhhhhhh........I don't know what fucking game you were watching last spring, but Luongo was not "lights out" in Game 7.
YOU CAN NOT HANG A GAME IN WHICH YOUR TEAM SCORES ZERO GOALS ON YOUR GOALIE!!!

One of the biggest home games in franchise history. Chance to win the cup on home ice, and our team goes out and scores ZERO goals. That was far and away the biggest disappointment for me. If we were waiting for Lou to win us the cup with a 1-0 win we are highly delusional. Lou did not have an outstanding game, I will give you that but he wasn't "atrocious". That distinction would fall to the players that couldn't manage a goal on home ice in the biggest game of their lives.

If we had lost 3-2, or even managed to get on the board, THEN we can point to a supposed soft goal as the reason we lost. When your team can't even get on the scoreboard, blaming the goalie is frickin' ridiculous and really makes my blood boil. We win that game and all Lou's mistakes are forgiven, he gets the Conn Smyth and is the savior of Vancouver. Oh what 60 min can do.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Badfish wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
As in.. game 7 of the Cup finals where we score 0 goals?
Uhhhhhh........I don't know what fucking game you were watching last spring, but Luongo was not "lights out" in Game 7.
I didn't say or imply otherwise. :::CAPSLOCK::::

I clearly said that BOTH the team and Luongo was sub-par on that fateful day of June 15th. However - given the fact that we outshot and outhit Boston by a wide margin on that day (stats that weren't inflated by the way......the shots came evenly throughout the game, and the hits were not a result of the other team having more PP time or puck possession), it does illuminate the fact that ONE player clearly was outplayed by his counter-part on the opposing team.

Translation: Despite a sub-par performance from the entire Canucks team, the team in front of Luongo outhit and outshot the Bruins on June 15th but still lost....and when a situation like that occurs, fingers will be pointed at certain people.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Farhan Lalji wrote: it does illuminate the fact that ONE player clearly was outplayed by his counter-part on the opposing team.
You mean the guy that won the Conn Smythe and Vezina trophies while setting records along the way?? So that's the standard we have for judging our goalie... Must be the best, or take the blame.
Translation: Despite a sub-par performance from the entire Canucks team, the team in front of Luongo outhit and outshot the Bruins on June 15th but still lost....and when a situation like that occurs, fingers will be pointed at certain people.
8 goals for in a 7 game series. Let's start the finger pointing there. Sedins -8 in game 7...

I don't think anyone has said Luongo doesn't deserve criticism for the way he played in Boston. Without him, however, the Bruins probably win that series in 5.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Badfish wrote:
I didn't say or imply otherwise. :::CAPSLOCK::::
Ok, so it's not Lou's fault, buuut....
...However - given the fact that we outshot and outhit Boston by a wide margin on that day, (...) it does illuminate the fact that ONE player clearly was outplayed by his counter-part on the opposing team.
So it's not his fault, but if only he'd outplayed Thomas things might've gone differently. To me that's implying losing a game in which we score ZERO goals is is somehow related to our goaltenders performance. Again, ZERO GOALS. It is absolutely impossible for Lou to have played well enough for us to win a game in which WE SCORE ZERO GOALS. End of argument.