GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

Post by Cornuck »

One of a few games that we have coming up against a playoff hungry team. The Kings have gone from 3rd to 8th in a matter of days.

Tonight's Lineup: LINK

From NHL.com:

Last 10: Los Angeles 7-3-0; Vancouver 4-5-1

Season Series: This is the fourth and final meeting of the season. Los Angeles holds a 2-1 series edge, including a 3-2 shootout win in the previous meeting in Rogers Arena on Jan. 17.

Big Story:
Los Angeles -- a team desperate to gain an edge in the competitive Pacific Division -- heads to Vancouver for a Monday showdown. Waiting for them will be the Canucks, who clinched the Northwest Division on Saturday and now turn their focus to unseating the St. Louis Blues atop the Western Conference.

Team Scope:

Kings: For a team mired in offensive struggles for much of the season, Los Angeles has used an uptick in goals to make a late run at the postseason. The Kings scored 21 goals over six games – all wins – to move temporarily into the Pacific Division’s top spot. Goalie Jonathan Quick started five of those, capping the run with a 35-save shutout gem of the St. Louis Blues on Thursday. On Saturday, the Kings welcomed Boston to Staples Center with eyes on holding down the third position in the West. Boston had other ideas. The Bruins snapped a four-game losing streak with a 4-2 win, but the Kings' offensive resurgence shone through despite the loss. Los Angeles mustered 42 shots, many of which elicited acrobatic stops from Tim Thomas.

"The team dug a hole on home ice early in the year and we've tried to win every game since then," coach Darryl Sutter said. "Simple, that's pretty clear, right? That's what we've tried to do and it's a tough task and it's a big chore."

Canucks: Thanks to a Dallas win over Calgary on Saturday afternoon, Vancouver wrapped up the Northwest Division before they even touched the ice later that night. Buoyed by their fourth consecutive division title, Vancouver took to the Rogers Arena ice to face Colorado in the late game. But Colorado -- like Los Angeles, a team fighting for their playoff lives -- jumped out to a 2-0 lead midway through the second period. The Canucks fought back, leveling before the second intermission through goals by Mason Raymond and Chris Higgins. Higgins also added the overtime winner, but Vancouver had goalie Roberto Luongo to thank for getting them to the extra period. After going 0-3-1 over his previous four, Luongo made 38 saves -- including all 12 in the third period -- for the victory.

"I felt good the last couple games," Luongo said. "I feel like I'm back where I want to be. That being said, it's a daily process. You have to make sure to put in the work and to play hard."

Who's Hot: While he has struggled of late, Luongo is 3-1-1 with a 1.97 goals-against average in his last five matchups with Los Angeles.

Injury Report:
Simon Gagne is out indefinitely for the Kings with a concussion. … Daniel Sedin is out indefinitely with a concussion, Aaron Rome (sprained knee) will miss 1-2 weeks, while Keith Ballard (concussion), Andrew Ebbett (collarbone surgery) and Aaron Volpatti (shoulder surgery) are all likely to miss the rest of the season.

Stat Pack:
The loss of one-half of the Sedin tandem could cost Vancouver, especially against the Kings. Sedin has seven goals and 10 assists during the 11-game point streak against Los Angeles, including the playoffs. Quick has been stingy even with Sedin in the lineup, with a 1.88 GAA over his last 11 regular-season starts.

Puck Drop: The tight Pacific race is not lost on the Los Angeles locker room.

"We know the situation we're in. We're battling with a bunch of other teams here to make the postseason, or win our division," Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell said. "We're just preparing for every game the same way -- like it's a must-win."

THN.com Tale of the Tape: LINK

GO CANUCKS GO!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

Post by dhabums »

LA could be in 10th by the end of the night.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

They should be so lucky we decided to schedule them tonight.. I guess nothing was on tv. ;)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Great first shift by our 3rd line.

Zackian does a good job protecting the puck with his size.

Heck of a shot by Manny.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

mathonwy wrote: Heck of a shot by Manny.
Not bad for a blind guy. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

This is a rougher game than I thought it would be.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Are you fucking kidding me Zebras??

Hank goes in 1 on 5 and goes into the boards taking one of the Kings sticks with him.

And then you call him for a ticky tacky hooking penalty going the other way???

*facepalm*
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

this GDT is off the hook.

As an asside anyone here Dutter talking to the local jocksiffers today ? The dude has the personality of a dirty old condom.

Like fuck shithead, try to sell the game and at least try to be engaging.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

I'm :( that nobody is here.

This game is one of the best ones I've seen in a long time. Aside from the craptacular PP, everyone is playing very well.

Great save by Luo. Wow. That was pretty awesome.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Now THAT's shutdown hockey! :lol:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:this GDT is off the hook.

As an asside anyone here Dutter talking to the local jocksiffers today ? The dude has the personality of a dirty old condom.

And it shows in his teams...

The Kings have no reason to be a bubble team. Vezina-quality goaltending, Olympian on the back-end and a forward group that includes Kopitar, Brown, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Williams etc. No excuses.

Nice win for the Canucks in a boring game coming home. That's 3 in a row, two in regulation, all by one goal, and against teams fighting for their playoff lives.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Per wrote:Now THAT's shutdown hockey! :lol:
Does shutdown hockey mean no RD here?? :lol:

Gragnani almost had his first goal as a Canuck. Offensively, he is a huge upgrade on Rome. Defensively, he is getting better every game.

Both Higgins and Hansen have been beasts in the last few games. They are rounding into playoffs form.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:this GDT is off the hook.

Does a unused condom have more personality than a dirty old one? At leas the dirty one has been somewhere.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Jovocop wrote:
Per wrote:Now THAT's shutdown hockey! :lol:
Does shutdown hockey mean no RD here?? :lol:

Gragnani almost had his first goal as a Canuck. Offensively, he is a huge upgrade on Rome. Defensively, he is getting better every game.

Both Higgins and Hansen have been beasts in the last few games. They are rounding into playoffs form.
The Gragnani issue for me is the odd ridiculous pass. That can be beaten out of him.

--

I thought Kassian used his size and SPEED well tonight.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote: The Kings have no reason to be a bubble team. Vezina-quality goaltending, Olympian on the back-end and a forward group that includes Kopitar, Brown, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Williams etc. No excuses.
I agree but their blueline is thoroughly mediocre now that Doughty has his $56m contract under his belt.. if they miss the playoffs I think Dean Lombardi is the guy in trouble there more than anyone.