GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT: Canucks host Kings - 7pm - TSN, NBCSN

Post by dhabums »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:this GDT is off the hook.

As an asside anyone here Dutter talking to the local jocksiffers today ? The dude has the personality of a dirty old condom.

Like fuck shithead, try to sell the game and at least try to be engaging.
And it shows in his teams...

The Kings have no reason to be a bubble team. Vezina-quality goaltending, Olympian on the back-end and a forward group that includes Kopitar, Brown, Gagne, Richards, Carter, Williams etc. No excuses.

Nice win for the Canucks in a boring game coming home. That's 3 in a row, two in regulation, all by one goal, and against teams fighting for their playoff lives.
They fired Murray and hired a guy that was likely jealous of Murray's system. The Kings have gone nowhere since the coaching change, still on the outside looking in.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I think that is the 14th game this season that Quick has let in 1 goal and lost
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Quick has a 6-5-4 record when allowing one goal. :lol:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Th thing with MAG is he has a wicked pass. Harder than some guys shots. You have to be ready for his pass because it will be slamming hard and usually on the money. Defensively he is improving his game. He is still a butt ugly skater but he has butt ugly speed too.

Gassian was a little better out there. I wonder if we need to put Higgins back with Kesler to create one offensive line. Burrows is fine on the third line but moving Higgins back up is that we will have a true number one line.

Sad to say I'm glad Rome is hurt. Ballard is almost ready to go and should be back soon. To make room for him we would have to send Tanev, Kassian and MAGs down but depending upon where we are in the standings it may be the way to go to get him 1-2 games before the playoffs.

Dank will be ready to go as well. The hobbit should be back soon too.

Barring any more injuries we should be in decent shape heading into the playoffs. Can't wait.

Although it is nice playing spoiler.

A good game. Good old fashioned shut down hockey. Mr. one eye with the only goal and owned the face off circle. :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

dbr wrote:Quick has a 6-5-4 record when allowing one goal. :lol:
Poor guy! What a thankless job! :drink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

From Helene Elliott:

"In Quick's 26 losses the Kings have scored 29 goals, according tostats guru Jeremy Zager. 18 of those 26 losses have been by1 goal."

And I thought the Canucks hung their goalie out to dry some nights.
UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Hockey Widow wrote:Th thing with MAG is he has a wicked pass. Harder than some guys shots. You have to be ready for his pass because it will be slamming hard and usually on the money. Defensively he is improving his game.
I like Gragnani enough to want to see him with the Canucks for a season. I think he has a great deal of potential.

But I am concerned that his weaknesses are exactly the kind of weaknesses that get a kid benched in the playoffs. A couple bad passes turning the puck over in your zone is bad. It is *really* bad when you have an easier play to make, you aren't under much pressure, and your chosen play on wasn't even that much greater of a reward. These are the kind of turnovers that can lead to goals by the opposition when they have nothing else going for them.

On the game, I thought the Canucks were very good. The shot totals were a little deceiving, as the Canucks had the better of the play throughtout the game until when the Kings pulled the goalie. Outstanding job in defensive transition and in the defensive zone tonight.

The Kings would be a worthy playoff opponent and seem built to play playoff hockey. It's a solid team, especially if those who look mentally shot (Richards, to some degree Doughty) can sharpen their game.
Hono_rary Canadian
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hank - 2 goals in last 34 games
Kesler - 4 goals in last 22 games

Massive mesh rippling coming from our top 2 centre's lately.

Regarding Gragnani, he made a couple real nice passes to some L.A. players last night. Didn't AV pine him for a bit cause of it?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:Hank - 2 goals in last 34 games

Regarding Gragnani, he made a couple real nice passes to some L.A. players last night. Didn't AV pine him for a bit cause of it?
Yet we're tied for 2nd overall and within striking distance of first...OMG, like time to panic!

I reiterate, did they take away your medicinal herb licence BD? 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dhabums wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:this GDT is off the hook.

As an asside anyone here Dutter talking to the local jocksiffers today ? The dude has the personality of a dirty old condom.

Like fuck shithead, try to sell the game and at least try to be engaging.
Does a unused condom have more personality than a dirty old one? At leas the dirty one has been somewhere.
:lol: You quite likely have made a decent point here. An unused condom would seem to be bland in both appearance and personality.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Arachnid wrote:
I reiterate, did they take away your medicinal herb licence BD? 8-)
I asked him that too but as with the questions about his gal pal Michelle Dumaresq he conveniently skirts the issue.

:mex: :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

[quote="RoyalDude"]Hank - 2 goals in last 34 games

quote]

I think it's fair to say the Canucks have officially entered their new era. No more flashy rushes and all out commitment to offense...it's defense first now
cheers
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Nice to see a GDT that wasn't hijacked for 7 pages with responses to RD's bait. ;)

Can't complain about the win, nor the effort. Not a thing of beauty, mind you, but they took care of the puck and continued hitting bodies and blocking pucks - all good practice for the second season.

Nice to see Manny get one on a night he bought a box for all his medical support staff that helped him with his surgery and recovery. Class move and some good karma.

I'm not worried about the goal totals for the top 2 lines. Really, it's a moot point. They know how to score, have done it for the team in the past, and will simply need to find it when it matters. What else can you ask?

I thought Mags was more noticeable (for good reasons mostly) and still a work in progress, but like what I see.

Ballard coming back before playoffs?? (per HW's post) I've been wondering what the deal is and found little info anywhere, but that's good to hear.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Booth has upgraded his physical game appreciably the last couple of outings.

Wonder what brought that on?

Bieksa not practicing today!?
DeLevering since 1999.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

A fast moving David Booth along the boards is a very tough thing to stop.

Jannik Hansen is playing some very inspiring hockey.

Lappy was a gawd darn SCUD missile last night.

We are indeed blessed to have both Luo and Ginger in the stable.

As good as Doughboy is, Higgins is better. When Higgins is coming for you, 9 times of 10, he'll get you unless you move the puck fast. Evan Oberg and a 3rd round draft pick? Fuggedaboutit.

I just sense that there is a Pavel Datsyuk lying within Hank that's just waiting to be unleashed. He's got the hands, he's got the hockey sense, he just doesn't have the strength to be able to stick handle in a phone booth while being checked by 2 or 3 guys like Datsyuk does.

When the twins are on the ice together, they are more than the sum of the parts. However, if Burkie hadn't made that trade, I think the two guys would have become individually very dominant players for their respective teams and their individual alter-egos would be better than who they are today. I dunno. Maybe I'm wrong.

Willie Mitchell played a very good game. Miss that big guy.

The Kings are fizzling out at the wrong time. You know you got a problem when the play-by-play guy is saying the name Dwight King a lot more than Mike Richards or Jeff Carter or even Anze Kopitar. Maybe Holmgren was onto something..

One of the best 60 minute efforts from the Nucks all season.