GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
dhabums wrote:I like Hrudey, but did he actually just say Hansen is a big strong guy? His nhl.comstats say 6'1, 195. That has to be wearing skates and pads and carrying a small child.
To be fair... Tyson Barrie ain't a big boy and he was put in a bad spot there. Good BC kid, I've actually partied in his old man's house (amazing what investors money gets ya), bad spot for him and Hansen raped him on that one...

PJ calling out Kassian... I'm sure Dude will be allll over that one. I guess he's missed the space created or the attempts to murder Seabrook... but I don't think he's been as "invisible" as PJ claims. Tonight maybe more than the last couple games. If we're picking on our fourth-line rookies, we must be doing alright. Overall, he's been what I've expected. With time he's going to be a force.
PJ Stock is the last guy to be calling anyone out. I generally ignore him.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Did anyone else notice how our defence got better once Rome left the game? Just saying.
I did.....just saying..... :look:
Hockey Widow wrote:Oh and Dank will be fine for the playoffs. I predict, no inside knowledge here.
That's all well and good, I just hope that it doesn't passify Hank. The guy is skating again and changing things up, playing harder and back to being a similar player to the one that carried the team and won an Art Ross and a Hart Trophy a couple of years ago. When the Twins are on the ice together they slow the game down too much.....at least that has been the case this past month or so.

Having a guy like Daniel on a line with Kes and Booth, or Kes and Bur would give our top 2 lines a balance and Kesler and Booth would finally have someone who could distribute the puck.....if Daniel could play something other than the cycle game.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

CrzyCanuck wrote:Gassian does look lost out there. But I think with a summer of rigorous conditioning training there's much to expect next season from him. If the oh-prodigal-39 point-slow footed Hodgson was able to "almost" keep himself up with the team pace after two summers of work out program, I don't see any reason why the more naturally athletic Kassian won't be able to do.
It's pretty short-sighted and high all mighty of you to assume that the Canucks condition their athletes better than the Sabres do, but hey we all get biased from time to time, like 'my shit don't stink'. With that in mind, at least in my mind, it concerns me as to why Kassian is so Gassian. Not to bring up his Dad, but you have to wonder if there is some sort of inherent issue going on with Zack, regarding stamina, etc. Then again, maybe he lacked the initiative that CoHo had to put himself, without the help and guidance of the Vancouver Canucks Conditioning Staff, through Gary Roberts rigorous off-season training program. The fact that Cody did that for himself and earning the high praise of Gary Roberts himself tells me that Cody puts the outcome of his future in his own hands and not being all Krutov like and waiting for others to make decisions for him regarding conditioning. I am more concerned about Zack's self-motivation to improve his fitness than the Canucks MGMT having to take control of his life.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
porp wrote: Although it doesn't quite feel like "mean" - he doesn't have the crazy or hyper-aggressiveness
Would hate to see him get more tuning like the tuning he got from Staubitz a couple weeks back. The kid ain't no Lucic, so people need to lower them expectations. That being said, I agree with Island Nucklehead, fighting wins you hockey games, it's the most important part of your team.
I think your definition of "tuning" differs greatly from many other people's definition..... :wink:
OK, maybe it was just my imagination, sorry.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Um dude, you are the one with 'bums' in your name. I took that as you being some sort of dharma ass-man or somethin.
Sounds like a pick up line to me.
Or you that desperate?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mëds wrote: Are you actually about to say that Raymond brings offensive creativity to this lineup?
No, I'm just pro Shut Down hockey is all. I think May Ray's lack of preseason conditioning due to a serious back injury may have something to do with his poor play, sort or like why Kesler won't be scoring 41 goals this year. I think the off-season training and preparation are very important for a player like Raymond. I mean, ain't it obvious with the way he keeps falling down? But hey, that is just me,
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I acutally would of liked to seen Colorodo win tonite. I would much rather play the Avs in first round rather than one of those Cali teams in Kings, Ducks, Sharks. The Avs need a lil bit of help right now, so I was hoping the Nucks would pull Lou for an empty net in OT. *LOL*
I'd rather see us win a few games and finish 1st.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:
dhabums wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Um dude, you are the one with 'bums' in your name. I took that as you being some sort of dharma ass-man or somethin.
Sounds like a pick up line to me.
Or you that desperate?
How long are we going to play this silly game?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mëds wrote: Are you actually about to say that Raymond brings offensive creativity to this lineup?
No, I'm just pro Shut Down hockey is all. I think May Ray's lack of preseason conditioning due to a serious back injury may have something to do with his poor play, sort or like why Kesler won't be scoring 41 goals this year. I think the off-season training and preparation are very important for a player like Raymond. I mean, ain't it obvious with the way he keeps falling down? But hey, that is just me,
His play this year is the same as it was last year.

He had a great year, signed a new deal and then shit the bed.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Would you guys get a room and just fuck it out? You'll feel better afterwards.

Regarding Zackian, I get the feeling that it's 50% cardio and 50% confidence. He certainly has the skill to be a very good player, however, he doesn't have the confidence to do it (yet).

This may be due to the whole suspension thing. He lost control and he got suspended a couple times. One time for 20 games and the other time in the middle of a playoff run. When you're just doing your thing and you think you're doing the right thing and you end up hurting your team immensely, you typically get very gun shy. Compound this with getting traded (your team has given up on you) and you, potentially, have a timid Zackian.

If properly mentored, I think the kid has the potential to be a very good player. He just needs that guy that'll tell him how to become a star and not screw up while doing it.

It's nice to see the Canucks have a skilled NHL player that can take a regular shift and who 90% of the opposing players don't want to tangle with. You gotta be stupid or a similar built NHL player to want to take on Zackian and there aren't that many similar built NHL players.

It's unfortunate that Zackian isn't hitting the scoreboard and helping with the offensive end of things. But, considering where we are in the standings, it's really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't preclude me from bitching about it though.

However, if come the playoffs we're still having problems scoring and we go out early, then, I'll be one pissed off Canuck fan and I'll be calling for blood. :)

Nice win tonight. I was laughing out loud when I saw the winning goal. We were dominated the entire game but Jannik "squeaky voice" Hansen manhandles Tyson Barrie on the forecheck, passes the puck to Higgins and scores the most unlikeliest overtime winner ever.

Just gotta laugh. Weird game. Glad we won. Luo was the man.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hmmm... I think the presidents trophy means jack shit. I'd like to see the Nucks finish right where they are actually, 2nd seed. I'd rather the nucks go into a series as an underdog rather than the team to beat, less pressure.

dhabums wrote: I'd rather see us win a few games and finish 1st.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote:Would you guys get a room and just fuck it out? You'll feel better afterwards.

Regarding Zackian, I get the feeling that it's 50% cardio and 50% confidence. He certainly has the skill to be a very good player, however, he doesn't have the confidence to do it (yet).

This may be due to the whole suspension thing. He lost control and he got suspended a couple times. One time for 20 games and the other time in the middle of a playoff run. When you're just doing your thing and you think you're doing the right thing and you end up hurting your team immensely, you typically get very gun shy. Compound this with getting traded (your team has given up on you) and you, potentially, have a timid Zackian.

If properly mentored, I think the kid has the potential to be a very good player. He just needs that guy that'll tell him how to become a star and not screw up while doing it.

It's nice to see the Canucks have a skilled NHL player that can take a regular shift and who 90% of the opposing players don't want to tangle with. You gotta be stupid or a similar built NHL player to want to take on Zackian and there aren't that many similar built NHL players.

It's unfortunate that Zackian isn't hitting the scoreboard and helping with the offensive end of things. But, considering where we are in the standings, it's really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't preclude me from bitching about it though.
Nice breakdown and thoughts on Kassian.

As for the scoreboard, well who cares, nobody else is really hitting the scoreboard all that much lately either.

I think he'll be a guy that elevates for the playoffs (if he gets the chance) and will thrive in a game where the rules get bent that much further.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:
Nice breakdown and thoughts on Kassian.

As for the scoreboard, well who cares, nobody else is really hitting the scoreboard all that much lately either.

I think he'll be a guy that elevates for the playoffs (if he gets the chance) and will thrive in a game where the rules get bent that much further.
That's what I expect as well.

It'll be called, unleash the Zackian!!
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
porp wrote:Ok, Kassian definitely looks bigger on TV than from the nosebleeds at WhateverPlace. Moves well for a big guy.
He's gonna be a beauty. EXACTLY what the Canucks have lacked over the past couple years. Big body that can play and FIGHT. Once this kid hits 23-25 years old... <insert gay-like comment here> :lol:.
Question is, why did we need to do the trade NOW?
If Gillis was intent on trading CoHo (due to ice time issues etc) why not do it AFTER the playoffs, we could really use CoHo's third line production, and is Kassian going to be more useful (at this point in his career) compared to Weise or Bitz?
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
porp wrote:Ok, Kassian definitely looks bigger on TV than from the nosebleeds at WhateverPlace. Moves well for a big guy.
He's gonna be a beauty. EXACTLY what the Canucks have lacked over the past couple years. Big body that can play and FIGHT. Once this kid hits 23-25 years old... <insert gay-like comment here> :lol:.
Question is, why did we need to do the trade NOW?
If Gillis was intent on trading CoHo (due to ice time issues etc) why not do it AFTER the playoffs, we could really use CoHo's third line production, and is Kassian going to be more useful (at this point in his career) compared to Weise or Bitz?
Acquisition of Pahlsson reflected our management and coaching staff's confidence in Hodgson handling third line duty in playoffs. Hodgson was not good enough yet to be put on 1st or 2nd line and could not play wing adequately either, meanwhile his defensive game could not be trusted as a 3rd line center. The conclusion I guess was that Hodgson might end up being a liability or a bench warmer come playoff time rather than a player you put on ice THIS YEAR.

Of course he's going to develop into a nice top center, but it'll take time.

I think people need to stop comparing Hodgson and Kassian. Yes, if you compare both of them as "projects" you can do so but keep in mind this year Pahlsson was acquired to replace Hodgson, and Kassian was a project that Gillis and Co. want to develop in place of Hodgson.
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters