GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

Post by Meds »

The Canucks are in Denver tonight to face an Avalanche team that they have essentially had their way with for the last few seasons. This year Colorado has yet to win a game in this series.....and tonight they really need to find a way to do just that. The Av's sit in 9th spot in the West, tied with Dallas, but trailing due to the Star's 2 games in hand. They are a single point up on San Jose and 2 up on Calgary, both teams have a game or two in hand on Colorado.

On the other side of the ice, the Canucks look to win back-to-back games for the first time this month. They are back to playing hockey that somewhat resembles what Canuck's fans have come to expect from their team, but still need to find a way to truly break through offensively. Going back 15 games, the Canucks have been held to 3 or less goals by their opponent's in all but 3 games. They are 6-6-3 in that stetch, and of the games where they have held at 3 goals or below, they have won only 3 of them, and those by relyling on show stopping performances by one of their goaltenders. They are making fewer mistakes defensively, but still need to start burying the chances they are generating.

Many fans have found this as a cause for concern, I for one would rather that they don't tempt fate now and end up in the hockey god's good graces 8 games from now.

On the ice tonight the lineups are much the same as last game, though Booth has moved over to the LW and Burrows is on Kesler's RW. Salo and Rome are both sitting this one out, and Luongo will also get this start instead of Schneider who was brilliant in the win over Dallas on Thursday.

To be honest I don't care what the final outcome is tonight, so long as it ends in OT.....let's give Bountiful something to get their panties in knots over, eh wot.....

8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Avalanche - 19:00PST, CBC HNiC

Post by Hockey Widow »

Actually a good idea. Let's lose in OT. We get a point and the Avs get two. Then lets hope for Cowpuke to lose straight out. I can live with that result.

But I must admit I want to see the team play focused and get back on track. I do think the injury to Dank will unit the team and re-ignite them. They now see they have something to play for these last few games as they get ready for the dance.

Kassian and Raymond are getting golden opportunities to shine and Hank has a reason to play, to show he can play once again without his brother.

And I think Salo and Rome are both in this one after sitting out the last one no? In fact I think on the PP Kesler moves back to wing and Salo takes the point.

1st unit:
Kesler/Sedin/Burrows
Salo/Edler

2nd unit
Higgins/Raymond/Booth
Hamhuis/Bieksa
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:And I think Salo and Rome are both in this one after sitting out the last one no? In fact I think on the PP Kesler moves back to wing and Salo takes the point.
I stand corrected. Stupid "lineup" link. Shoulda looked at the article instead. :scowl:
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

No mention of how awful Kassian was tonight, yet?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dhabums wrote:No mention of how awful Kassian was tonight, yet?
Heard he was pretty slow lacin' 'em up prior to the game-day skate. Not a good sign...
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Heard he was pretty slow lacin' 'em up prior to the game-day skate. Not a good sign...
Used elevator to go up one floor rather than take stairs.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

dhabums wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Used elevator to go up one floor rather than take stairs.
Seen eating excessive amounts of carbs on the way to the rink.... :o
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Not yet my little mischievous imp.

But don't you worry, I'll be watching tonight and I'll be post some thoughts afterwards. I know you will be eagerly waiting.

I can't wait to see what Zackian brings tonight!!
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:
I can't wait to see what Zackian brings tonight!!
He'll be bringing a bad ass mofo nasty stare during scrums between whistles. The game is won between whistles. Thats his job, it is what he was brought here to do. He's great at it, cause he doesn't have to skate.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Seeing as Colorado is likely going to try and drag this one into the ditch like the last 2 opponents, isn't it a good thing we've got a much more "balls out" line up that's better suited to these kind of games.
Winnik, Downie, McGinn, Obrien,etc.

Personally, I like having balls. It makes fighting back waaay better when u got 'em
If you need air...call it in
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Seeing as Colorado is likely going to try and drag this one into the ditch like the last 2 opponents, isn't it a good thing we've got a much more "balls out" line up that's better suited to these kind of games.
Winnik, Downie, McGinn, Obrien,etc.

Personally, I like having balls. It makes fighting back waaay better when u got 'em

Totally agree UDL,

This game could make the Shithawks game look like a church picnic. Expect some fireworks.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Great start for the Canucks.

What the hell is Vigneault doing having Weise out there in the opening minute of the game?

Tough start for Louie, made the first save but had no idea where the puck was, likely because it was such a weak first shot he never even felt it hit him.

Whoever it is on here who has been calling Landeskog a beast.....you're bang on. He out fought 3 Canucks for that second shot.
CrzyCanuck
CC Legend

Post by CrzyCanuck »

This Landeskog does remind me a lot of Foppa

Sheesh,

when can we get a prospect like that?
Hockey is Life, Nothing Else Matters
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote:Great start for the Canucks.

What the hell is Vigneault doing having Weise out there in the opening minute of the game?

Tough start for Louie, made the first save but had no idea where the puck was, likely because it was such a weak first shot he never even felt it hit him.

Whoever it is on here who has been calling Landeskog a beast.....you're bang on. He out fought 3 Canucks for that second shot.
That was me.

And he's only 19. Insane.

Kes has got his wheels going tonight. That was a sweet inside/outside move he made on that drive to the net (or was it outside/inside).

Mason needs to score on that one. Zackian had the perfect screen. MayRay needs to pick a corner and wire it.

Rome's been pretty good this game. Some good under-the-pressure defense in our zone. I'm not sure why he tried to stick handle into the offensive zone though. I think Bowness talked to him about that one.

Luo is solid.
Last edited by mathonwy on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: Tough start for Louie, made the first save but had no idea where the puck was, likely because it was such a weak first shot he never even felt it hit him.

I know there have been a few of us giving Landeskog props, he SHOULD be the rookie of the year. When Duschene was out this guy carried the Avs on his back. Like CBC said, he's the most complete rookie out there.

Canucks aren't in this one yet. 3rd game in 4 nights. All against teams we either detest or are fighting for their playoff lives. At least we're playing vs. playoff-style intensity. Welcome back to meaningful hockey, boys.