GDT - Canucks vs Hawks 5 PM PST TSN

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Hawks 5 PM PST TSN

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Obviously I don't want him to Bertuzzi a guy. Gesus Christ. there are ways to give a guy a good poke in the mouth when the officials and the puck aren't close by. It didn't have to be Bieksa . I only singled him out because in the greasy games like the ones against Chicago and Boston and San Jose , he doesn't seem terribly interested in engaging as much as he sometimes does against lesser opponents.

I am a big Bieksa backer but dude needs to get a little more angry in these type of games.

As an asside as I am sure I will get called out as some neanderthal who loves violence, I am PLEASED with the Canucks jam factor tonight and it was nice to see them get involved physically for a change.

Blobcat out.......... :mex:

the neighbour is waving.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Mëds wrote:After this I hope we do play Chicago. The league would have that series under a microscope, and you can all but guarantee that the media would have the NHL under a microscope during it. If the Hawk's decided to get chippy and cheap like they did tonight, then the league has to deal with it.
I don't want to see a Vancouver/Chicago meetup, but if they do, I fully expect a exactly the same thing from previous post-seasons and this season so far. Status bleeping quo.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: What retribution was this ?
I get your frustration Blob, but other than someone doing something potential suspension worthy, I don't know what else they could have done to respond.

I got the feel that the Canucks made several challenges, were neutered by the officiating, and the Hawks backed down from responding.

KB and Burrows went after Keith on numerous occasions, including one heated scrum and the big one that resulted in major penalties. Other than suckering him with a punch or stick, or just pummelling an unwilling opponent, I don't know what they could have done. All of those things would have ended in a suspension given the setting.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

If it makes anyone feel better, a drunken dhabums pulled a Toews jersey wearing Hawks fan off of his stool and pinned him on the ground with his knee on his throat until he realized he was just a yappy guy who really didn't want to fight.

No Hawks fans were seriously injured.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

dhabums wrote: No Hawks fans were seriously injured.
That's too bad.

:look:
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

dbr wrote:
tantalum wrote:The Keith on Daniel hit is intent to injure no matter which way you look at it and thanks to the previous hit he took 4 shifts earlier is now premeditation. It should be a pretty lengthy suspension.
If Keith gets a lengthy suspension for that hit (5+ games)... well I'd say I'll eat my hat but instead I'll just say that it will restore some faith in the league's authority and objectivity, and that's nearly as incredible.
For every game under 5, I will randomly beat the shit out of a Hawks fan. I know it's immature, but I will make a point of having the beating recorded an sent to the NHL. Come on 4 games!!!!

I am inspired by the passion of the eastsiders, and it's time we stop ruining our city after a loss and jut start living up to our rep as total jerks.

Probably the wrong site, but it's time we start making Vancouver uncomfortable for opposing fans.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Well, it's hard to say this game was evidence of the "flip a switch" theory because the "elbow" came mid-way thru the 1st. The second period was a wash because of all the garbage.

The third period was the true measure of the teams as the score was tied and there were no powerplays.

Vancouver dominated the 3rd with the scoring chances being 7-3. The process was great when hockey was played.

Was the third a result of flipping the switch or inspiration from seeing your star go down. I'll say a little of both.

I'll also add, Chicago had only 4 scoring chances on the 5 powerplays, while Vancouver had 3 chances while killing penalties. The PK was awesome tonight. Perhaps the biggest sign the switch was flipped.

I'll also say Keith came across like quite the pussy turtling and running from the retribution. He certainly didn't go into the corners first after that. Perhaps that's why Vancouver began dominating the game.

Good luck to Dan - I said before he should not have gone on this road trip and just stayed home to rest. Here's his chance to take 2 weeks off. He can come back for the last 2 reg season games.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Well, it's hard to say this game was evidence of the "flip a switch" theory because the "elbow" came mid-way thru the 1st. The second period was a wash because of all the garbage.
The switch should have come in the form of a decisive retaliation. It didn't happen.

The switch is broken.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dhabums wrote:
dbr wrote:
tantalum wrote:The Keith on Daniel hit is intent to injure no matter which way you look at it and thanks to the previous hit he took 4 shifts earlier is now premeditation. It should be a pretty lengthy suspension.
If Keith gets a lengthy suspension for that hit (5+ games)... well I'd say I'll eat my hat but instead I'll just say that it will restore some faith in the league's authority and objectivity, and that's nearly as incredible.
For every game under 5, I will randomly beat the shit out of a Hawks fan. I know it's immature, but I will make a point of having the beating recorded an sent to the NHL. Come on 4 games!!!!

I am inspired by the passion of the eastsiders, and it's time we stop ruining our city after a loss and jut start living up to our rep as total jerks.

Probably the wrong site, but it's time we start making Vancouver uncomfortable for opposing fans.
Are you an advocate of social disobedience?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

mathonwy wrote: Are you an advocate of social disobedience?
Not at all. Do as I say, not as I do.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Henrik's post game comments:

On the hit

" It's ugly. It's one of those hits were things were said before, from a certain guy, and he did what he wanted to. That's too bad but again, hey're a tough team over there and we're the diving bar. " (not sure what that last part means)

He was asked if the "words" were said by Keith, inferring if he was going to get Daniel.

"Yeah it was Keith, but he's a tough Canadian guy, I am sure he's going to be honest."

From Puck Daddy:

"It's one of those hits where things were said before from a certain guy and he did what he wanted to and that's too bad. But again, they are tough team over there and we're the diving bunch so I guess there's not much to say about that.
"I got a lot of respect for a lot of guys on their team."

" There've been things said from their room before, but not from him," Henrik said of Keith to NHL.com. "He's always been good, but I don't know if it was too [many] emotions playing against us or what it was. Again, it's too bad. I had a lot of respect for him
I am surprised these comments aren't getting more play. It's really out of Henrik's character to stick his neck out like this. I like this version
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Whether it was the elbow or the opponent the canucks were engaged and the switch was flipped. They need to keep the switch flipped so they can work on the other aspects of the game that aren't good enough right now (mainly the blueline). Floating through without emotion doesn't allow you to work on those things.

I liked the emotion from the canucks last night. I liked they tried to get some licks in (some cheap). I wish the Hawks wouldn't have run from Kassian all the time but they did. They wanted nothing to do with him and they even started hearing footsteps in the third. D-men couldn't wait to get rid of the puck. It was the Hawks that failed to man up last night and I hope the entire hockey world saw that.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Three things:

First half of the first and the third the Canucks were the superior team and not by a small amount.

Bieksa got two solid shots in on Keith in the scrum in front of the net and Burrows had a solid shot to Kanes face bloodying his nose. Kassian was willing to take on anyone as was Weise. There was no Graham James bending over BS here. The Canucks answered and managed to do it without getting booted from the game or suspended. The "good" side of Daniel getting hit like that is it certainly galvanized the group at a time many fans and media believed it was necessary. So thanks for that Keith you ignorant prick.

I really, really hope the Canucks win a Cup soon so I can stop watching this league because it is a joke. The refs are a joke and the power brokers are a joke. There is no rationality, sense of right and wrong nor is there much in the way of integrity. And they continue to look at us as if we are out of our minds if we question their actions. Astounding.

For a predatory hit like that to have a 2 minute penalty in a year where this league assured us it was serious about head shots is absurd. O'Halloran is a veteran ref for Crissakes. The thing of it is if Kassian hit Kane or Hossa like that it would have been 5 and a game.

Laughable if not so sad.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

From TSN game story:

Canucks leading goal-scorer Daniel Sedin was injured in the game and did not return. He may have been hurt when he was elbowed in the head by Chicago defenceman Duncan Keith late in the first period.

:stupid:
DeLevering since 1999.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm lovin' the 'Flip the Switch' theory. "Gold Jerry, Gold!"

Alex Stojanov for Markus Naslund
Cody Hodgson for Zack Kassian

I'm lovin' the Shut Down Hockey the last two games, only 3 goals against.

Henrik Sedin, two goals in his last 31 games is it? Shit, he's had the switch turned off for almost half a season. Two bad we don't have more 'skilled' centers with a great shot to fill in for Hank while Hank has the Switch Flipped Off.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau