GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:
Why do you keep bringing Taylor Ellington up? I ain't. I'm just bringing up Marcus Foligno, who was drafted in 4th round, as an example of what kind of gems you can uncover, every once in a while, in the 4th round. That is all, bro.
Kid's hot right now. So what?

I don't see much sense in your argument. Kassian earned a call to the Sabres long before Foglino did. He put up much better numbers and scored more goals in 30 games than Foglino did in 55. It's clear who the Sabres thought higher of. Finally, take a look at our left wing, then our right, and you tell me which side needs attention.

I liked Hodgson too. But we have to get over it, quit crying and move on. Calling Kassian Stojanov and Bernier is laughable at this point. Hodgson wasn't going to lead this team to the promised land this season. In all actuality he might not have seen much playoff action with the guys we have down on the farm.

Adding Hodgson certainly doesn't do much to change our offense. The kid had 3 goals and 1 assist in his final 15 games here. Kassian and Pahlsson have made up for his offensive production, while providing better two-way hockey 8-)
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I see the bed wetters are out again hammering the sheets with piss.
Agreed I think I'll save my piss for another day.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Now, *that* was a good post, RD. Actual content as opposed to pure sarcasm. I think everyone was just getting very tired of the seemingly endless refrain of "shut-down hockey rules".

Meanwhile, OK, we don't need to panic, but it'd be nice if they were winning a few more of these games... I don't want to see Colorado getting even a sniff at first place in the NW. Nope. No thank you.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Curious as to what Buffalo's record is since the trade as compared to ours. Anybody?
To answer my own question - the Sabres in 9 games since the trade are 6 wins/ 3 losses. The Canucks in 8 games since the trade are 3 wins/5 losses.
Where are the Sabres in the standings?? Where are the Canucks??? Hmm... Look at the Flames for a second, they are 6-2-2 in the last 10 games.... Is that even better than the Sabres?? Nobody cares because they are still outside looking in. The Canucks are, oh wait a minute, # 3 in the league.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
mathonwy wrote: You think the team would be playing different if we had kept Taylor Ellington and those two precious 4th round picks and not made the Hodgson trade?

Are you seriously that deluded? Are you a Taylor Ellington fan? Shit. Maybe you are. Damn, I'm sorry your boy got traded. Don't be so bitter about it though. It's just hockey.
Why do you keep bringing Taylor Ellington up? I ain't. I'm just bringing up Marcus Foligno, who was drafted in 4th round, as an example of what kind of gems you can uncover, every once in a while, in the 4th round. That is all, bro.
I'm bringing Taylor Ellington up because it has the exact same relevance to the topic at hand as your repetitive posts about the Canucks playing shut down hockey.

- The Nucks are having problems scoring. Yes, we can all see that.

- Mike Gillis's did not address this issue at the trade deadline and instead brought in a guy that specializes in preventing the other team from scoring. This sucks but it is what it is.

- We gave up two 4th rounders and an irrelevant minor leaguer. Just stop bitching about the 4th rounders. The Canucks are in a win now mode and giving up 4th rounders isn't exactly mortgaging the future. Read the analysis on the trade on the various sports websites for support on this. And, for every Marcus Foligno you bring up, I can bring up a thousand other 4th rounders that DIDN'T MAKE IT TO THE NHL.

If you wanna bitch about something tonight, bitch about our money players not scoring.
- Bitch about the absolute lack of any chemistry on our 3rd line.
- Bitch about Bieksa being a dumbass tonight.
- Bitch about Edler possibly having his worst game ever
- Bitch about hands of stone Aaron Rome

Oh.. oops.. that's me bitching. NM. :D

Or... join the other side and wait out the regular season.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Well I'm seriously wetting my bed every time the Canucks play now. I hope " the sun will shine again....and just like that" people are right because what I see are players not knowing how to struggle through cloying checks and reffing that ignores clutch and grab and still seems to be paying back Burows and Kesler for perceived elaboration. Nothing will change come playoffs so the mental switch better kick into high gear for all these guys, at the same time. Neither Sedin has proved yet that he can elevate his play significantly when the playoffs arrive so sorry for the shaking knees. I guess I should have more faith because someone is sure to come through right?

Chicago is a test. Let's hope the good guys pass. Or maybe an ass-kicking is in order.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

mathonwy wrote: - Bitch about hands of stone Aaron Rome
I got that one covered. RD can focus on the others.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

cjc wrote:Neither Sedin has proved yet that he can elevate his play significantly when the playoffs arrive so sorry for the shaking knees. I guess I should have more faith because someone is sure to come through right?

Chicago is a test. Let's hope the good guys pass. Or maybe an ass-kicking is in order.
While the Sedin may not have proven that they can elevate their game in the playoffs...

( I mean, how could they? The past two seasons they have been among the top five players in the league. If you elevate from that... what are we talking here? Wayne Gretzky at his best? :eh: )

... they have still done fairly well over the past three playoffs, imho, averaging roughly a point per game.
Here are their post-lockout playoff stats:

Henrik:
06/07 12 2 2 4
08/09 10 4 6 10
09/10 12 3 11 14
10/11 25 3 19 22

Daniel:
06/07 12 2 3 5
08/09 10 4 6 10
09/10 12 5 9 14
10/11 25 11 9 20

The slight drop in production in 10/11 was almost entirely the result of the final seven against Boston, when Henrik was playing injured. If you do not count the seven games against Boston, the 10/11 numbers look like this:
Henrik: 18 2 19 21
Daniel: 18 10 6 16

And yes, I do realise that they should have delivered against Boston as well (at least Daniel managed to score four points against them), but I think it was obvious for all that Henrik was not really in game shape.

This year they seem to be cruising into the playoffs while preparing for them, so I hope they will be in perfect shape when the time comes and the chips are down. I believe this team can make at least as big a splash as they did last year! 8-)
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Puck wrote:Now, *that* was a good post, RD. Actual content as opposed to pure sarcasm. I think everyone was just getting very tired of the seemingly endless refrain of "shut-down hockey rules".
RD has really started to become a braying donkey. I get the whole "stir the pot" MO, but Dude's the new Dado of the board.

I just skip the posts.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mondi wrote: *Edit: I see you said over the past three playoffs while noting the stats from the past 4. However, I think my point still stand.*
Well, most of it, I guess, but I will revisit the numbers just to clear things out.
Mondi wrote: First, why would you discount the Boston series? If you're on the ice you're fit to play, no excuses. Right? RIGHT?! Well, may be not. But going from 1.25 ppg in the season to less than .7 ppg in the finals isn't exactly stepping up.
I didn't discount it. I just wanted to point out that the drop in production could almost exclusively be attributed to that seven game series, and as we know, Henrik was playing injured, and then showed what the numbers would be without that series. I then pointed out that they of course needed to produce against Boston as well.
Mondi wrote: Further, they have not averaged "roughly a point per game". Not even close really.

Henrik

GP 59 PTS 46

Daniel

GP 59 PTS 49
You're looking at the entire post-lockout production, including their fairly poor 06/07 effort. I specifically said "the last three" playoffs, and in that period Henrik has had 46 points in 47 games (0.98 ppg) and Daniel 44 in 47 (0.94 ppg). Take away Boston (which we shouldn't) and Henrik has 45 points in 40 games (1.1 ppg) and Daniel 40 in 40 (you do the math).

In 08/09 both players were exactly at 1 ppg. In 09/10 they were both above 1 ppg, in 10/11 they were just below 1 ppg (Henrik 0.9, Daniel 0.8). In 06/07 they were nowhere near the players they are today, I just included those numbers to show the entire post-lockout situation.

These are imho excellent playoff numbers, except for the final series against Boston, when Henrik was injured and the refs thought it was OK to use Art Ross winners as punching bags without spending time in the penalty box.
Mondi wrote: I'm a HUGE fan of the Twins, but they are not big time playoff performers. They contribute. They don't necessarily harm the team. But they are not the same players in the playoff as they are in the regular season.

With that being said, this a new year and I will go into the playoffs hoping they can do what they have never done, dominate teams for an entire series. Of course no one on the Canucks, save Kesler, has shown the ability to do that (remember Samuelsson).
I take it San Jose Doesn't count? :eh:
Mondi wrote:And, lets be serious. Gretzky in his prime is more than just one notch higher than the brothers.

Sedins --> Sakic/Forsberg --> Crosby --> Gretzky/Lemieux

Great company, but not quite on the level.

I've been really positive and upbeat about this team's struggles until last night. Getting shut out by the Wild (sans Backstrom and Koivu), is frigging pathetic. This team needs to start showing signs or they are going no where fast.

Cory was 9-0-1 in his last 10, so he was due for a loss. But, the rest of the guys need to start showing up. I'm a firm believer in slumps as a result of natural ebbs and flows of sports as well as there result of fatigue, injuries and lack of confidence (I completely reject ridiculous claims about arrogance or lack of effort). I am also a firm believer that one good game can change those trends overnight. But, I do not believe in this so call "switch" it just doesn't exist in sports. The only way out of a slump is through good habits and hard work, and then some breaks. 10 games to get it going. Lets freaking go boys.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

I dont read RDs posts anymore either. Its like hes in a canyon... the same bullshit keeps coming back at us.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

wienerdog wrote:
RD has really started to become a braying donkey. I get the whole "stir the pot" MO, but Dude's the new Dado of the board.

I just skip the posts.
RD and I have been frequenting boards like this for 16 years or so.

He has been one of my favourite dudes historically.

Great guy, funny, intelligent talk, a fan, a cyber pal...

Braying donkey is an excellent description of what we see now.

Sadly to say I skip over all his posts as well.

Sorry to say but truth!

I'm actually surprised he gets so much response, he's laughing behind his keyboard folks.
DeLevering since 1999.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

donlever wrote: he's laughing behind his keyboard folks.
Like this, you mean?
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

This game was further proof the NHL has no respect for the Sedins and why they tell teammates not to defend them.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Per wrote:
donlever wrote: he's laughing behind his keyboard folks.
Like this, you mean?
I think that is exactly it Per.

Well done.
DeLevering since 1999.