GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST SNET

Post by Larry Goodenough »

coco_canuck wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: Again, "Malhotra is struggling" appears to a myth when the context in which he's being deployed is considered.

I don't know how "they stuck with Manny" when they've been giving him the responsibility of very tough defensive minutes against top 6 forwards all season long. If they were actually sticking with him, would they not have been protecting him more?
Larry, I agree that Manny has done well in his role, and that he's a valuable bottom 6 centre for this team.

But come on, Manny went from being one of the best 3rd line centres, received Selke consideration last year, and now he's playing 4th line minutes and is being used strategically for defensive situations.

Is it a stretch to say Malhotra's game has regressed significantly since last season?

To start the year he really did struggle, even in those defensive situations he's now far more successful in.
Malhotra did struggle to start the year. I think he only had 3 or 4 weeks to train for the season due to eye surgeries.

I can't say if his game has regressed significantly as he was an orange last year and is an apple this year.

Before the trade deadline Malhotra was 8th on the team in TOI for forwards and 7th in total shifts per game, which are actually 3rd line numbers. I imagine that has changed since Pahlsson came in.
donlever
CC Legend

Re: GDT : Canucks at Wild, Mar. 19 5PM PST

Post by donlever »

Larry Goodenough wrote: But different does not mean struggling. Within the context of what Vigneault and Gillis are asking him to do, he's doing fine.
Yep, I can agree with your synopsis here.

The role they have defined for him allows Malhotra to have a definite on ice benefit to go along with a bevy of off ice positives.

I guess naysayers probably look at the $2.5 million, then at the stat sheet and sigh.

This never did tell the whole Malhotra story however and it certainly doesn't now.

As an aside I had never even thought of Larry Goodenough once in, well at minimum twenty years, until I arrived at this board.

Larry freaking Goodenough.

Blast from the past.
DeLevering since 1999.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

It really sucks how much Malholtra has regressed.

It really sucks that Raymond just couldn't get his shit together.

It's not a good sign when your supposed core players are being healthy scratched. Something is not right with the Canuck ship.

It also really sucks that Badgassian came over in such poor shape.

From watching the AV presser,
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocente ... &id=165981

it sounds like he's a bit of a loss as well.

Sigh.. fuck. I believe in Ginger.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

..now now, what core player has been a healthy scratch?

You sound like Botchford or Sekeres now mathonwy.

:P
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Larry Goodenough wrote: Malhotra did struggle to start the year. I think he only had 3 or 4 weeks to train for the season due to eye surgeries.

I can't say if his game has regressed significantly as he was an orange last year and is an apple this year.

Before the trade deadline Malhotra was 8th on the team in TOI for forwards and 7th in total shifts per game, which are actually 3rd line numbers. I imagine that has changed since Pahlsson came in.
I think we're on the same page in terms of Manny's role and relative value on the team.

But Manny is being used differently because he's a different player, not because AV decided on Manny's role.

Malhotra's game has undoubtedly regressed, and regardless of his current role, that's a plain fact.

His struggles at the start were mostly due to his lack of summer training, but Malhotra still struggles with puck-skills, passing and seemingly with his on-ice vision.

If he was still capable of being as good as last year, then Pahlsson wouldn't have been brought in to anchor the 3rd line. They tried using Manny in that 3rd line role before the deadline, with Cody on the 4th, but it wasn't as good as it needed to be.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

coco_canuck wrote: I think we're on the same page in terms of Manny's role and relative value on the team.

But Manny is being used differently because he's a different player, not because AV decided on Manny's role.
Yeah, I think its pretty much semantics at this point coco.

We all be on the same page with respect to Manny brutha.

All of us sane folk anyway.

:)
DeLevering since 1999.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Salo needs a rest & MAG needs games to prevent UFA status.

Pahlsson & Hansen complement each other. If Manny fits, the hand wringing can be postponed for a while.

Life has more meaning now. Except....how many games before Bitz goes in for Weise?
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: Yeah, I think its pretty much semantics at this point coco.

We all be on the same page with respect to Manny brutha.

All of us sane folk anyway.
Ah yes, sanity and the Canucks.

Is that even possible?
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

donlever wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote: But different does not mean struggling. Within the context of what Vigneault and Gillis are asking him to do, he's doing fine.
Yep, I can agree with your synopsis here.

The role they have defined for him allows Malhotra to have a definite on ice benefit to go along with a bevy of off ice positives.

I guess naysayers probably look at the $2.5 million, then at the stat sheet and sigh.

This never did tell the whole Malhotra story however and it certainly doesn't now.

As an aside I had never even thought of Larry Goodenough once in, well at minimum twenty years, until I arrived at this board.

Larry freaking Goodenough.

Blast from the past.
Larry Goodenough summarized my Canucks growing up. Thought it was a good handle.

Lead the defending Cup champ Philadelphia Flyers in scoring as a 22 year old d-man. Then puts up 14 pts in 16 games while going to the finals again. Gets traded to Vancouver and there's something to get excited about. The next season he's playing for the Tulsa Oilers. With the Flyers he was great, with the Canucks, he was just goodenough.

Am I allowed to look forward to Wednesday? If the "flip a switch" theory is true, does the team get a pass for the rest of the year?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

donlever wrote:..now now, what core player has been a healthy scratch?

You sound like Botchford or Sekeres now mathonwy.

:P
Leave me to my self pity and misery you heartless knave.

Raymond and Malholtra "should" be considered our core players and both of them should know by now what is expected of them and what they need to change to get back on track. Both of them are highly paid veteran professionals and need to wake the fuck up because the team needs them at their best for the post season.

I do have to say that a bright spot in all of this is the play of Burrows. Even though AV's been playing musical chairs with the line up, Burr hasn't changed his style of play and has been very consistent in his compete level.

Oh.. my friends call me math. Only my mom calls me mathonwy.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Well math... :D ...I think that what you see is what you are gonna get out of Manny. A guy who will kill some opposing PP time and win some face offs, play a little D while doing the leadership rah rah thing in the room.

Raymond I think you are going to get little more out of than what you see.

I do not know what his ceiling is but he has not had the best of luck over the past two years injury wise and I doubt, hell we all know, his health, strength and fitness are anywhere close to where they need to be for him to perform at "his" optimum level. This is quite possibly one of the reasons we see him fall down all the time. The guy has no core strength (no to mention upper body) right now, he simply has had no chance to get to where he needs to be physically. Mason does some nice things out there and is far from damaging defensively but his offensive game is in shambles as is his confidence I am sure.

Raymond looked great when he first took to the ice this year but that was clearly a result of adrenaline.

If he remains healthy through the post season and has a good productive off season training wise, next year will be the most telling of his pro career.

Will he or won't he?

What is Mason Raymond?

Unfortunately (or fortunately....wahtever floats your boat) it may not be here for us to see in Canuckland.

Neither of these two would I deem to be an integral part of our core moving forward at this time.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Larry Goodenough wrote:
Am I allowed to look forward to Wednesday? If the "flip a switch" theory is true, does the team get a pass for the rest of the year?
The Canucks, never quite goodenough.

Come on now Larry, get with the AV program, we have a game tonight, thats all we are focusing on, it's a process dontchaknow?

They get a pass from me already.

People lament the fact that they are doing (or not) this, that and the other thing.

All I know is that every time a test presents itself (Bruins, Hawks, Red Wings on a 20 + game home streak, a red hot Devils club again on the road the night after winning in Detroit, Blues first game back after a brutal road trip...thanks NHL) they bring the game they need to be successful.

To me this speaks directly to the heart, leadership and wherewithall of the group.
DeLevering since 1999.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

coco_canuck wrote: Ah yes, sanity and the Canucks.

Is that even possible?
No.

Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Notice how quiet the Dude formally known as Biker is since the AmEx line was reunited and started out producing the Sedins?

Just say'n :eh: I like Booth's size on that line and looking forward to see him in playoff mode...he's never been :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Fuck off zebras.