GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: GDT: Yotes @ Canucks - 7:00PM PST, SNET-P

Post by herb »

I had to leave for hockey early in both the Montreal and Phoenix games, and both times I was shocked when I showed up at my favouite watering hole for some after game beers and saw the third period score.

It looked like we were taking the boots to both of these teams. I'm not sure what happened, but the highlights of the goals against were U-G-L-Y. Seems as though the defence has been mailing it in.

Maybe we need to get back on the road??? :?
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Another goal goes in off Brule's shoulder.

This game could have easily gone the other way.

Total scoring chances were 23-15 for Vancouver. They were also 7-3 for Vancouver at even strength when the score was tied. The process was there, the result wasn't.

A little luck, a little goaltending or officiating going their way, this board would have a different feel this morning.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Larry Goodenough wrote:No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Total scoring chances were 23-15 for Vancouver. They were also 7-3 for Vancouver at even strength when the score was tied. The process was there, the result wasn't.

A little luck, a little goaltending or officiating going their way, this board would have a different feel this morning.
Soooooo you're blaming puck luck now and not HW for boffing RoboLou?! :eh:

A greed....they looked mucho better, we have to learn to clutch. grab and high stick and get a way with it...just like the 90's 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Arachnid wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:No mention of the high stick on Kassian behind the Phoenix net while the puck is rung around the boards, Hamhuis pinches and it's a 2 on 1 the other way. (You may say bad pinch by Hamhuis, but I think it's a forwards responsibility to see that and cover the middle for him. Especially when you have the lead.) Then Hamhuis comes storming back, only to be high sticked in front of the net by Vermette. He falls to his knees in facial pain, allowing Doan to take 5 pokes at the puck to score. If Hamhuis was not on his knees, he's knocking Doan over after the first poke. 2 high sticks not called in 10 seconds and a goal results from the 2nd high stick incapacitating a player is bad luck. Or typical officiating. I watched it happen 4 times on replays and not one mention of it here or on the broadcast either.

Soooooo you're blaming puck luck now and not HW for boffing RoboLou?! :eh:

A greed....they looked mucho better, we have to learn to clutch. grab and high stick and get a way with it...just like the 90's 8-)

Well, you take away the Doan goal due to a high stick penalty and put Vancouver on the PP. The PP was looking good, so you can assume Phoenix would have had to scoop the puck over the glass in a panic during the ensuing PP. That's then a 2 man advantage. As Quenneville would say "we would have scored 4 there." The score would have then been 6-1 in the 1st instead of 2-2. Funny how a moment in the game could actually be a fork in the road.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Despite the score I think the Canucks played maybe the best game that they've played for quite some time. As AV would say the process was there, so to was the effort. But where as before we were getting results that we probably didn't deserve now we're loosing when maybe we shouldn't have. But if the process and the effort was there better things will happen and to me it's a good starting point for a turn around.
cheers
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.
lol, yes you correct.
wafflecombine wrote: oh yeah.... and if it hasn't been suggested already... never play the Mason Raymond drinking game. Take a shot every time he falls = passed out before the first intermission. :crazy:
hahaha

I just think some AHL callups could do wonders here, the core players are just locked in cruise control for the time being, so calling up some hungry players who will do whatever it is that's asked of them by the coach, could revitalize the vet's on this team.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Fred wrote:Despite the score I think the Canucks played maybe the best game that they've played for quite some time. As AV would say the process was there, so to was the effort. But where as before we were getting results that we probably didn't deserve now we're loosing when maybe we shouldn't have. But if the process and the effort was there better things will happen and to me it's a good starting point for a turn around.

Agreed. I just read Vancouver had 79 shot attempts to 46 for Phoenix and 28 offensive zone faceoffs to Phoenix's 8. The process to win was there and this was a much improved effort. Figure out some defence (put the D pairs back) and they'll be fine.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:This could be the beginning of the end of AV as we know it btw.
More like the beginning of the end for AV not of AV.
Do you actually think this is the beginning of the end. As slumps go, though this one is poorly timed, its not that uncommon. Ask the Bruin how well they are doing?

As we all know, much will hinge on play-off performance. An early exit and who knows where the puck will stop.
Cheers
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

wafflecombine wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Do you actually think this is the beginning of the end. As slumps go, though this one is poorly timed, its not that uncommon. Ask the Bruin how well they are doing?

As we all know, much will hinge on play-off performance. An early exit and who knows where the puck will stop.
Cheers

No no no no. What I mean is I think AV has run out of patience. So the beginning if the end of his putting up with this play.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote:
No no no no.
(I'll finish this off for you how you meant to post it.)

.....no Strangelove I'm going out with donny Friday.
DeLevering since 1999.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

donlever wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
No no no no.
(I'll finish this off for you how you meant to post it.)

.....no Strangelove I'm going out with donny Friday.
She clearly said 20 years younger mister goldie oldie which would put me in that cat(egory)...you and the strangledove can go out together... 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

wafflecombine wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Cheers
...or Detroit...their sky is falling too... 8-)
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Agreed Arachnid,

One point I will touch on in relation to Boston and Detroit's slump is enhanced by the fact they have some key injuries. That's where I feel we have an advantage. With the exception of Ballard, Volpatti, Pinizzoto and Ebbett we are healthy. That and of our injuries, only Ballard saw consistent ice time (even only as 5-6 D) before being hurt.

Despite my grumpiness watching the game, there were some positive signs.

@HW - no worries. Clarity is golden. Although, at some point many coachs end up getting turfed when their players get mommy-deaf (as my buddy calls it). I wonder where AV is on that continium... he's had his work cut out for him motivating this group the last little while.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

In all my years of watching hockey, every team goes through one or two slumps a year. And every year, fans and media lose their minds while these slumps are occurring.

Slumps usually occur after a prolonged period of success. You know a team is about to head into a slump when they win three or so games in a row that they probably shouldn't have. When a team is in a slump, boy, watch out! They can't do anything right. Can't score, can't defend, can't make a save, and most of all can't win. You know a slump is coming to an end when your team is playing well enough to win against teams they should be beating (see Phoenix & Montreal), but still losing.

This is one of the ebb and flows of a long season. I suspect the Canucks are coming out of this slump and will be back on track soon.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

herb wrote:This is one of the ebb and flows of a long season. I suspect the Canucks are coming out of this slump and will be back on track soon.
Thank god! For a moment there, I thought the team was destined to tank in the first round! ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."