Page 3 of 7

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:13 pm
by Blob Mckenzie
this thread smells like ass

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:19 pm
by mathonwy
Now THAT is shutting down at its finest by Samuel Paulsson.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 pm
by tantalum
Goals since deadline day:

Hodgson 0
Sulzer 0

Gragnani 0
Pahlsson 1
Kassian 1

Points since deadline day:
Hodgson 0
Sulzer 0

Gragnani 0
Pahlsson 2
Kassian 2


Now I'm not saying that will always be the case for the rest of the year but until it isn't perhaps laying off the shut down thing would be a good idea.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm
by Arachnid
Blob Mckenzie wrote:this thread smells like ass
:lol: you know jack?

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm
by tantalum
Good 60 minute effort. Still some defensive errors that need to be worked on but a good effort.

Shutdown with the winner.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm
by Hockey Widow
The best 60 minute effort in a long while against teams not called Boston, Chicago or St. Louis. The bottom pairing wasn't as bad as I had feared. I thought they held their own and in the end AV mixed and matched so it worked out. But I'm not too confident with that pairing in the playoffs. Still believe once MAG gets his required number of games in we will see less of him. Asset management.

Kesler had a great game and with a little puck luck could have had a hat trick. I really love Higgins on the 2nd line and I think there should be no question what our top six should be.

Raymond was OK on the third. He was lucky to escape with his life tonight. Man he was about to get clocked and just dogged in the last second. Zack ran out of gas. I think he needs to spend the next few weeks bringing his fitness level up. He seems to have 2 periods in him and then he just looks slow.

A good bounce back game and it was actually a good game to watch for a change.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 pm
by Hank
Vancouver Canucks: SHUTDOWN HOCKEY!

RD and Botchford's rants... I can't stop laughing :lol:

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 pm
by RoyalDude
Zack Kassian tonight - 6:52
Cody Hodgson tonight - 14:38

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 pm
by RoyalDude
tantalum wrote: Pahlsson 2



Now I'm not saying that will always be the case for the rest of the year but until it isn't perhaps laying off the shut down thing would be a good idea.
Yo Tant, did you just wake up today from some life long comatose and became a hockey fan? Obviously not, so you know along with every other NHL stat junkie that Old Man Pahlsson ain't no goal scoring, assist making, point producing power house.

The Shut Down Specialist Sami Pahlsson is not an Offensive Specialist.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:16 pm
by Jovocop
RoyalDude wrote:
tantalum wrote: Pahlsson 2



Now I'm not saying that will always be the case for the rest of the year but until it isn't perhaps laying off the shut down thing would be a good idea.
Yo Tant, did you just wake up today from some life long comatose and became a hockey fan? Obviously not, so you know along with every other NHL stat junkie that Old Man Pahlsson ain't no goal scoring, assist making, point producing power house.

The Shut Down Specialist Sami Pahlsson is not an Offensive Specialist.
But the Shut Down Specialist is outscoring the slient G...

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 pm
by Zamboni Driver
Hockey Widow wrote:The best 60 minute effort in a long while against teams not called Boston, Chicago or St. Louis. The bottom pairing wasn't as bad as I had feared. I thought they held their own and in the end AV mixed and matched so it worked out. But I'm not too confident with that pairing in the playoffs.
I can't see Rome or Alberts as better defensively than Tanev.
Let's just hope that Ballard is getting back soon, and improve this bottom pair mess

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm
by Meds
Good game. Easily could have been a rout if not for some great goaltending by Pavlec and some real puck luck for the Jets. Crossbar, bouncing puck, into the goalie's glove through 4 players, that was all about bounces. That one save that Pavlec made where he snagged it out of the mess in front and Garret was all, "how did he find that one?" Ummm, John? He didn't. Can't you tell by the way he looked suddenly at his glove?

The Awesome.....

Rome. He didn't play, can't ask for better.

The Good.....

Sedins were among the best on the ice tonight, a great push back game by them. They didn't score, but they looked dangerous. I liked that they moved the puck more off of the rush, and more importantly THEY moved more.

Kesler could easily have had a hatrick. Robbed by the iron and by a couple of really good saves. I like having him on the wing to drop high slot off a faceoff. That play is going to work soon, and his one-timer is pretty killer.....just has to hit the net.

Pahlsson was good all-round. The fact that he scored the game winner is just a bonus. He is going to be a boon come playoff time.

Juice and Hammer were top notch tonight, KB4's little dish to Pahlsson was awesome.

Schneider. Wheeler caught him cheating (not sure where Schneid's head was on that one), but he played a solid game and really came through in the last couple of minutes of the first period after being bored to tears and then getting a hornet's nest of Jet's buzzing his crease and throwing everything at the net.


The Decent.....

Edler was bombing away.

Salo was actually the least effective of our defensemen tonight. That being said, he didn't have a bad game.

Tanev and Gragnani. Solid game from the youngsters. Tanev really does have a great head on his shoulders and positions himself well to compensate for not being huge and not being exceptionally fast. He recovers well. Gragnani really does know how to pass the puck in the offensive zone. When (if) Ballard returns for the playoffs Alberts and Rome had better be 7 and 8 on depth chart.

The Brutal.....

Officiating. Is it the return of the dead-puck or what? Kesler pokes at the puck as the whistle is going, not after. Kesler then takes two shots to the face. Kesler alone goes to the box. Ummmm.....OK. Kesler's play tonight in the offensive zone should have drawn at least another 2 or 3 PP chances for Vancouver. Not sure where the officiating crew was on this one, at least the got the assist on the opening goal for us.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 pm
by cjc
I was at the game tonight and the second line was really noticeable - Higgins, Booth and his speed, Kes - keep that line together!

Gragnani is scary and Tanev needs to stop passing when he's in scoring position. Tough game for Raymond. I think he's been shy ever since that injury in the SCF. Funny how you can notice some things live that you miss on TV (and vice versa) but it looked like Raymond stopped short of throwing some hits and I wonder if he's concerned about his back?

Fat Boy Byfuglien looks like he's carrying about 20 lbs. more than when he was with Chicago. I think he has to squeeze into his hockey pants. Quite ugly really.

Top line still struggling and Kassian does need to improve his fitness. He was gassed out there and didn't play much.

Schneiderman - what can I say? He saved our bacon. I can't help but think he's better than Lu.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 am
by dhabums
Meds wrote: Kesler pokes at the puck as the whistle is going, not after. Kesler then takes two shots to the face. Kesler alone goes to the box. Ummmm.....OK.
It seems as if that was a make up for the Kesler goal, then they decided to put the whistles away for the most part. Surprised we didn't see something called after the blatant high stick on Bieksa, but the league has to keep the bubble teams close.

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:15 am
by wienerdog
Meds wrote: Juice and Hammer were top notch tonight, KB4's little dish to Pahlsson was awesome.
:look:
Meds wrote:The Brutal.....

Officiating. Is it the return of the dead-puck or what? Kesler pokes at the puck as the whistle is going, not after. Kesler then takes two shots to the face. Kesler alone goes to the box. Ummmm.....OK. Kesler's play tonight in the offensive zone should have drawn at least another 2 or 3 PP chances for Vancouver. Not sure where the officiating crew was on this one, at least the got the assist on the opening goal for us.
No joke. That Kesler penalty was beyond awful.

All the clutching and grabbing is one thing, but what's with the brutally obvious short, sharp cross-checks into the small of the back that aren't being called? Was it Stuart on Kesler along the boards just before that penalty happened? Piss poor.