GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Legend

GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Post by donlever »

For the first time since 1996 and their move to Phoenix the Winnipeg Jets are in town to play a regular season game versus your Vancouver Canucks. Apparently Schneider gets tonights game. A couple of ex-Nucks, Tanner Glass and Pudge Wellwood are expected to be in the Winnipeg line up.

Any old time history between the teams?

Well there is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBtP3-prnFg

And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfBA7dR6buc

NHL.COM PREVIEW

EXCERPT: Just another inter-conference one-night-only engagement; the two franchises have met twice in a season only once, way back in 2000-01. It's been mostly Canucks since the Thrashers/Jets entered the League in 1999-2000, Vancouver putting together an 8-2-1-1 record and winning five of the last six meetings. It will, however, be the first time the two cities fielded teams against each other since Feb. 21, 1996 at old Winnipeg Arena, a 5-3 Canucks victory.

While the Canucks run neck-and-neck with the Blues and Red Wings for the top seed in the West, the Jets have been trying to solidify their playoff position, currently in the eighth slot two points ahead of the Capitals. A 5-1-2 homestand definitely helped hold off any challengers, but now they have to run a western gauntlet through powerful Vancouver and desperate Calgary.

INJURIES: Zach Bogosian has been out since last Thursday with a lower-body injury. … Canucks defenseman Keith Ballard (neck, concussion) is not expected back until the playoffs at least.

HOT: Blake Wheeler has 16 points in his last 9 games and a plus-10 rating. He leads the Jets in points, assists and plus-minus. Evander Kane had his eight-game points streak stopped by the Sabres on Monday, which means he now has 7 goals and 15 points in his last nine games. … Kevin Bieksa has 4 assists in his last three games.

THE WINNIPEG ANGLE: It's noise that concerns the Jets right now, as in making their own away from home, according to Dustin Byfuglien, who made the point after Monday's 3-1 win over the Sabres.

"Buff said it's about creating our own noise," Chris Thorburn said in the Winnipeg Free Press. "Obviously we're going into some pretty hostile buildings. We've got to play our game and execute our game plan. We've kind of dumbed things down here. It's baby steps. For a lot of us this is new, being in this kind of a race this late in the season. It's exciting. It's fresh. We're proud to be in this position.

"We've just grown as a team. We've become closer and we're just learning how to win. Whether it's experience or whatever it is, it's worked out well for us. We've developed a lot of team toughness throughout the course of the year. It's gotta show coming up on this road trip."

HISTORY: Part of the upstart World Hockey Association, the Winnipeg Jets made new right away as they signed Chicago Black Hawks star Bobby Hull to a contract that included a then unprecedented $1 million signing bonus. However, when the Jets first took the ice on October 12th in New York against the Raiders the Jets were without Hull who was in court battling his former team over his new contract. The Jets would win that first game nonetheless 6-4. Three days later they would make their home debut losing to the Alberta Oilers 5-2.

Eventually things would come together for Winnipeg as Bobby Hull won his court battle and joined the Jets 15 games into the season. With Hull leading the way, capturing the WHA's first MVP award, while scoring 51 goals the Jets won the Western Division with a solid 43-31-4 record. In the playoffs the Jets would continue to cruise beating the Minnesota Fighting Saints in five games and the Houston Aeros in four straight games to reach the AVCO Cup Finals. However, with the WHA's first championship on the line the Jets would run out of gas as they were beaten by the New England Whalers in five games.
DeLevering since 1999.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Jets 7PM PST SNet

Post by Vpete »

It will be interesting to see how the Jets utilize Byfuglien. Some times Noel let's him roam free and you can find him behind the net while lately he has been much more conservative and only really blasting from the point.

The Jets have a weird set of defense issues in that their points are pressured really easy yet they have a pretty mobile defense group, even with the loss of Oduya. The Canucks could beat the snot out of them on the transition game if they can get that together. The one downside for the Jets is they give up an amazing amount of real estate in front of the net and are often caught chasing players down low- plays right into the Sedin's hands on the cycle game.

They also take a lot of dumb penalties in the later periods too.

I'm thinking a 4-2 win for Canucks unless Pavelec stands on his head.
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

One team battling for their playoff lives.

One team trying to not get injured.

Yeah... we lose tonight and Tanner Glass pots one.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

The Canucks are riding a 3 game winning streak vs the Jets...

FEB 4, 1996 - 4-2 - Russ Courtnall netting the winner
FEB 13, 1996 - 5-4 - HUGE comback as the Canucks trailed 4-1 in the second
FEB 21, 1996 - 5-3 - McLean makes 33 saves for the W

:wink:
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Nice job as usual on the GDC Donnie!!.

Time to see the boys get back on the winning track.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Listercat wrote:Nice job as usual on the GDC Donnie!!.

Donnie bucking for a mod job. You got MY vote! *thumbs up smiley*
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Debating on heading to the game tonight.

Lots of cheap tix on CL and first time Jets been in Van City in a long long time.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hopefully a couple of ugly losses and a pair of games against Canadian teams gets the boys fired up to play tonight and Saturday. We always seem to play well against eastern Canadian teams, and with only two games next week, the four remaining points up for grabs this week are important in terms of the #1 seed and President's Trophy.

4-1 Canucks
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

mathonwy wrote:
Listercat wrote:Nice job as usual on the GDC Donnie!!.

Donnie bucking for a mod job. You got MY vote! *thumbs up smiley*
:o

Heaven forbid no.

Just wanna be one of the crowd.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

....I understand that Tanev and Gragnani are to be paired up this evening.

Also Higgins with Kes and Booth (the Amex Express returns!!), Raymond with Hansen and Sammy, Kass back with Lappy and Manny.
DeLevering since 1999.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

donlever wrote:....I understand that Tanev and Gragnani are to be paired up this evening.

Also Higgins with Kes and Booth (the Amex Express returns!!), Raymond with Hansen and Sammy, Kass back with Lappy and Manny.
I like these moves.

Especially against the Jets, could be the best option to get Tanev/MAG together without too much risk. Not exactly the highest scoring opponent we'll face.

Regardless I think I still like Tanev/MAG over Rome/MAG.
Vpete
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vpete »

Aaronp18 wrote:
donlever wrote:....I understand that Tanev and Gragnani are to be paired up this evening.

I like these moves.

Especially against the Jets, could be the best option to get Tanev/MAG together without too much risk. Not exactly the highest scoring opponent we'll face.

Regardless I think I still like Tanev/MAG over Rome/MAG.
Kane is going to try and test that T-MAG pairing- guy hits it with serious speed. I can see Kesler keeping a close eye on him or Wheeler
Brick Top: Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Vpete wrote: Kane is going to try and test that T-MAG pairing- guy hits it with serious speed. I can see Kesler keeping a close eye on him or Wheeler
Yeah, Kane and Wheler were the first guys I thought of when I heard this pairing.

Tanev I do not worry about as he is so sound defensively.

Regardless we are home and get last change so Noel will have to be on his toes to gt those guys out against the pairing of which we speak.
DeLevering since 1999.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

donlever wrote: Regardless we are home and get last change so Noel will have to be on his toes to gt those guys out against the pairing of which we speak.
Yeah, and given AV's propensity to send lines out based on zone starts, we won't see too many shifts where Kane begins with that pairing in its own end. If they're on the ice at same time it'll be off the rush or a change on the fly, which should be fairly limited unless the Canucks are still napping like Tuesday.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Relative to normal, AV is looking like a riverboat gambler.

This speaks to team priorities at this time.