GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

Post by Tiger »

Maybe the best defensive game the Canucks have played in a long time.. Great to see the new guys contributing .. Our D just got better with MAG and our bottom 6 looks great with the addition of Paulsson .. We now have a true shut down line. Adding the power of Kassian gives our offence another much needed dimension.. The Blues were beaten at their own game..:) Kudo's to all ( possible exception Raymond who is coughing up the puck a bit too often ).. Hopefully we don't suffer a let down after this tough physical win.
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Gillis said on deadline day we're now able to play any style of game. Well we just beat the Blues with their game. A much different look than we've been used to with such a patient shut down game and the amount of grit shown on the bottom half. The boards getting rocked at the Rog today brought back the days of Bert and Cooke. Best thing is the depth on the bottom six with Weise, Bitz, Reinprecht, and Duco ready to slot in if need be.

Still a little worried about our skill though. We can rely on winning ugly for so long but ultimately we go where Twins and Kes take us. At least it can't be a bad thing they've been able to win as many games without them. That knowledge and experience could be invaluable should we face a repeat of the Boston series along the way.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

donlever wrote: How a group can be so obnoxiuous about a lousy team that has won squat since 1967 is beyond me.
Yeah, England is way over rated. I'm pretty pleased to have them in our group at the Euro...

Oops, sorry, we were talking hockey. My bad. :oops:

Mmm, yeah. Too bad Salming and Sundin wasted away their careers on a no-good go-nowhere team. :|
Last edited by Per on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Patient to see any creativity out of Pahlsson. It's great that the line is awesome defensively but if he puts up zero offense moving forward into the playoffs, perhaps Lappy should get a look on the third line.
Don't expect a lot of offense out of Påhlsson, that's not what he does.
He has a total of 66 goals in 11 NHL seasons... Do the math.

He's a great shutdown centre, and that's how he has made a career in the NHL. Don't expect him to change now.
And that's not what AV or GMMG are asking of him, if you ask me.
I'm pretty sure they just want him to do what he did for the Ducks in their cup run.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mondi wrote:Did Bertuzzi actually throw hits?
He threw fits.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

There was a play during the game where (I think it was Lappy) was trying to dig the puck out from Elliots glove as he stood behind the net and a scrum ensued.

All of a sudden, with no face washing, punching, shoving or theatrics Zack was standing in the middle of the entire group of Blues and Canucks players and everything just settled down as he looked from Blue to Blue.

Reminds me of a game in the late '80's versus the Flamers. The Canucks HAD NOT been a tough team during the latter part of the decade and Stan Smyl ended up fighting the Dave Semenkos of the world all to often.

A couple of the Flames weree jabbing at Krutov and Larionov prior to a face off at center ice, just reminding them that this was the NHL not the Red Army and McCammon sent a couple of recent Pat Quinn acquisitions, Daryl Stanley and Craig Coxe over the boards to take the draw instead.

Things quickly settled down from there.

Those two provided that team with balance.

Different era, different time, different game but we saw last night in his first game at home what GMMG was talking about when he said whats not to like about this kid and that he assists in providing a more balanced line up.
DeLevering since 1999.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...and speaking of which, wtf was up with Sportsnet camera dude last night?

Working a new guy in are we?

Uh, plays over there dude.

Don't get me started on the shit officials in this league.

The NHL is gonna fuck this up again.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I think that was Manny, don. And yeah it was a small exchange that spoke volumes about what Kassian offers this team.. fans are jazzed about what he does for the fourth line right now, and with his potential it's certainly possible that one day in the not too distant future he'll bring that element to the third or even second line.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Mondi wrote:Did Bertuzzi actually throw hits?
Ask Barrett Jackman ??

Some comments:
- 4th line was easily the most consistent line at causing the Blues havoc in their own zone. Lappy looked faster than he has in a month. EZ ( enormous Zack) used his size and body controlling tha boards and punishing defenders.

- Grags is definitely a Jovo type , high risk , high reward player, with his meanderings down behind the opposition net. Decent skater and as reported a good passer.

- Sami P with Higgins and Hansen looked pretty solid as well. One beef I have with Jannick is his failure to be on the boards in his own zone to get ring around passes. He tends to try to do too much in his own end and gets out of position.

- Ice looked really bad as pucks were bouncing all over and many players were losing edges. Sorry Mëds it wasn't just Mase.

- 1st unit PP is still unable to get set because they are stationary and far too deliberate. The opposition is really pressuring the puck and Henrik especially. Time to change the look somewhat by moving Henrik to the other side. Kesler stationary in front only works if they shoot and they are not doing that.

- SL will be a tough team in the playoffs if they maintain this level of play. They are big, especially down the middle and good skaters. They also have 2 pretty decent goaltenders.

- Seems more and more teams are running interference off the face offs to prevent checkers from getting out to cover point men.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

mathonwy wrote: I want to see the Amex line back together again.
Ideally Raymond succeeds on the 2nd line, and they are clearly giving him the chance to do so. A Phalsson-Higgins-Hansen line would be a great shut down line in the playoffs and a bitch to play against. All 3 guys have a knack for causing turn overs and breaking up plays. That said, if Raymond cannot earn his keep on the 2nd line the Amex line may just be reunited.
Aaronp18 wrote: Did the Sabres send us Erhoff instead of this MAG guy? Definitely not as well rounded as Christian but his timely pinches and offensive zone awareness sure reminded me of him a bit. He will need to work on positioning and what to do with the puck in his own end but I think he could work out quite well.

I can see where a player like him, and Erhoff for that matter, could get into trouble on a team that does not have the forward group or system in place that can cover for their offensive forays. Fortunately we have a defensively responsible team and a system in place that enables defenseman to join the rush when possible.
And he's even wearing Christian's old # 5.
I completely agree with your second point - the Canucks system really allows Dmen like MAG to make offensive plays with confidence. I think he'll be a good fit here.
BladesofSteel wrote: Lappy and Kassian were absolutely HUGE tonight. I can't wait until Zack loses his temper though, it seems he's just a little too passive. Not a negative, as he's clearly got a good head for the game and doesn't want to rock the boat, but I am looking forward to seeing what this guy will do when he gets really, really pissed off.
Playoffs ;)
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Great game last night IMO. As was already said, that was the best the 4th line has looked all year. Has the team ever been this deep?

I am not completely sold on MAG. I was actually maybe anti-MAG but somebody's post earlier (Blob, maybe?) convinced me to remain patient. When it was 1-0 with 3 minutes left in the game I was holding my breath when I saw the MAG/Rome pairing on the ice...

Once again the twins were relatively quiet and it looked to me that they are tired. I understand the whole long road trip thing and maybe a 2 day break after the Buffalo game will be just what the doctor ordered. IMO, Henrik hasn't been the same since the shot block to the foot a couple of weeks ago.

Im also in the camp for re-uniting the AMEX line. Dropping Raymond down with Pahlsson and Hansen would be OK as long as they continue to do the job defensively.

All said and done it was a great game defensively by the whole team. Not too many grade A scoring chances were given up and when they were Luongo made the saves when needed.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Also, a very smart play by Hamhuis on the Burrows goal. No question he intentionally put it wide (looking for a tip or bounce off the back boards) to get the shot past the blocker.
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:Gillis said on deadline day we're now able to play any style of game. Well we just beat the Blues with their game.
Yup,

Flash back to the pre deadline game against the Stars.

Canucks are take the lead in the second, refs put the whistles away and the Stars slowly take over the game.

With Cody out and Sammi, + Kassian in we seem far more able to play in these random "dead puck era" type games. Frankly with a bit more beef on the back end we would probably be "the best" equipt team to play this style.

We still have to play Detroit / Chicago though and wdayawannabet the refs call things in a way that better suits the Wings when we play them.....

-Bottom 2 lines basically won the game for us, second line looked neutered by the Blues, especially Raymond who was hilariously bad in this one.

-Not sure why anyone is praising MAG, he looked exactly like the Sabers fans described him. I didn't see Ehrhoff 2.0, I see Ehrhoff 1/2.

-Lappy might have played the best game I have seen from him, perhaps the extra effort was a thank you to management for sending someone who can take over his fighting duties.

-Kassian with another impressive game, normally I would suggest he be moved up the line up but the 4th line was probably our best last night so whats the point.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Yeah I agree re: #5.

But as tant said he hasn't played in 5 weeks and its a new team yada yada yada.

We'll see.

Not holding my breath though, certainly feel more comfortable with Tanev out there beside Rome.
DeLevering since 1999.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

It'll be interesting to see how the coaching staff handle Gragnani and Tanev.

Together they might be the softest pairing in the league and you know AV isn't going to like that, but the alternative is putting one into the top four or sitting one of them - and it seems like the best thing for both players at this point is to play.