GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Canucks vs Blues 7 PM PST SNet

Post by wienerdog »

tantalum wrote:I believe Gragnani needs to get into 14 games as a canucks to not be UFA at years end. Could be wrong.

I think the wisest course of action is to rotate Tanev, Salo, Gragnani and Rome in and out of the lineup. Keep everyone fresh and most importantly get Salo rest. He doesn't need to be playing back to backs or 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 etc etc.
14 out of what? 18 remaining? Should be an interesting stretch of games - maybe a good thing that AV will be "forced" to not give up on the kid too early...

Also, I don't want to jinx anything, but what would happen if MAG got [insert a word that means he can't play because something "bad" happened to him here]?

I suppose MG deals w the unavoidable impending UFA status at that time?
wienerdog
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wienerdog »

Mëds wrote:I'm not worried about the President's trophy.
I'm worried about the extra wear and tear on the team if they're really flooring it at season's end to cross that finish line.

Truth be told, I'm fine if we don't win it. After 40 years of this, I'm conditioned to feel more comfortable as the underdog :blush:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Ktulu wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote: This quest for 1st and another Presidents' Trophy may be the worst thing for us. I personally don't mind taking 2nd spot if it means a rested and fully charged Salo, Twins and Kes...would love to give all four spot duty rest of the way but that ain't happening.
I don't know, if winning the Presidents trophy means playing a Dallas, or Colorado, or gasp! Calgary in the first round and possibly avoiding a tight physical series against Nashville in the second is that not worth playing hard the rest of the way?

Then there's the whole flipping the switch thing if you coast through the rest of the season...

Normally I would agree but this is a unique situation. We don't have many examples of Pacific time zone teams making runs to the Finals, six total if I counted correctly, and none who've made a return trip the following year. Mismanagement is likely the main reason for this or could there be more to it than that? I've suggested multiple times that the long run combined with a lack of offseason, insane schedule and tons of overtime games have taken it's toll on some of our players. Most notably the Twins who've appeared to hit the wall right around Christmas time and it didn't help that they had to make an extra trip back east to play an unnecessary game while the most of the league used a full week to recharge its batteries.

Sure having an easier first round could help but what if we're still running up hill when the playoffs start? I don't say we tank it...we're too close to our regular season goals to give up on them now...just openly wondering what the chase might be worth.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

wienerdog wrote:
Mëds wrote:I'm not worried about the President's trophy.
I'm worried about the extra wear and tear:

2011 Stanley Cup champs = 7th overall
2010 Stanley Cup champs = 3rd overall
2009 Stanley Cup champs = 8th overall
2008 Stanley Cup champs = 1st overall
2007 Stanley Cup champs = 4th overall
2006 Stanley Cup champs = 4th overall
2004 Stanley Cup champs = 2nd overall
2003 Stanley Cup champs = 4th overall
Ktulu
AHL Prospect

Post by Ktulu »

Do you think 5 min overtimes have an effect on the players? That's only an extra 3 or 4 shifts which are essentially non-contact.

Other teams in this conference are pretty much in the same boat schedule wise. Sure the Canucks played a lot of hockey last year, but they also had a pretty lax training camp (remember all the ridiculous "controversy" over that?). It's not like the Sedin's play 20+ minutes every night, or our top D hit the high 20's on a regular basis. The new additions are also going to take some of the load off too, especially some of the defensive minutes from Kesler.

They have to play the games anyway, may as well win them. Besides I'd much rather take out Dallas in 5 than go to war with San Jose for 6 or 7. Of course you should always be careful what you wish for, like my stupid buddy who said last year "Wouldn't you rather they win their first Stanley Cup against an original six team like Boston instead of a team from Tampa?" :roll:
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

wienerdog wrote:
tantalum wrote:I believe Gragnani needs to get into 14 games as a canucks to not be UFA at years end. Could be wrong.

I think the wisest course of action is to rotate Tanev, Salo, Gragnani and Rome in and out of the lineup. Keep everyone fresh and most importantly get Salo rest. He doesn't need to be playing back to backs or 3 in 4 or 4 in 6 etc etc.
14 out of what? 18 remaining? Should be an interesting stretch of games - maybe a good thing that AV will be "forced" to not give up on the kid too early...

Also, I don't want to jinx anything, but what would happen if MAG got [insert a word that means he can't play because something "bad" happened to him here]?

I suppose MG deals w the unavoidable impending UFA status at that time?
TO be honest I don;t think re-signing him will be that big of deal. He is beyond excited to be on the team and really feels the system is perfect for him. If he has a promising run the rest of the year, he'll be signed. Even if he doesn't he'll be re-signed just so Gillis doesn't have to hear about how bad the Hodgson trade is again.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Ktulu wrote:Do you think 5 min overtimes have an effect on the players? That's only an extra 3 or 4 shifts which are essentially non-contact...

Going from 18 mins to 21 makes a difference when you're doing it practically every other night while you're already trying to recover..I would think.

Anyway, I know what you're saying. Fair comment about the much of the league facing similar tough scheds.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: At what point can Steven Reinprecht be brought up without having to clear waivers ?
I believe if Reinprecht were brought up any time after Deadline Day (last week of course) he would hafta go through waivers and could be claimed... BUT... any team picking an impending-UFA would not be allowed to play him for the rest of the year. Meaning said team would add his salary and not his services. Plus it would be considered very bad form to screw Reinprecht in such a fashion. It's never been done.
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

With a demotion and the LTIR they could actually fit Reinprecht in.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

tantalum wrote:With a demotion and the LTIR they could actually fit Reinprecht in.
Yep, SO much proven veteran depth at centre! :D

So little on RS dee. :(

I pray Bieksa & Salo stay healthy because we're screwed if one of em go down.
____
Try to focus on someday.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Strangelove wrote:
tantalum wrote:With a demotion and the LTIR they could actually fit Reinprecht in.
Yep, SO much proven veteran depth at centre! :D

So little on RS dee. :(

I pray Bieksa & Salo stay healthy because we're screwed if one of em go down.
Nolan Baumgartner says fuck you.