GDT: 2/28 - Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm SNet

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT: 2/28 - Canucks @ Yotes - 6pm SNet

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hank wrote:Lol. Dude isn't entirely wrong about David "Blondie" Booth. Still, that doesn't make the altar boy a bad pickup. He's been playing quite well. His speed and net determination is exactly what this team needs.

Maybe the Dude needs to start beating on Mason "The Natural Born Offense Killer" Raymond a little bit more. His go to move seems to be the patented puck-pounding, triple twist gainer belly flop into the ice... leading to the Kassian penalty and a fantastic last 15 seconds of the 3rd period.

From Canucks Army...

"- Yes Mason Raymond falls down a lot. Yes, it's absolutely a mistake to have him shooting second in the shootout. Yes, his shootout move was especially weak tonight (I hate the spin-o-rama anyways). That said, he had a really strong game!

He played on several lines, created a scoring chance, was a +6 in EV scoring chances in the game, looked good centering the 2nd power-play unit and was generally good defensively. He had a miscue on a back-check in the second period where he nearly created a Coyotes chance with one of his patented, slap-stick pratfalls - but otherwise he was effective in both ends. I especially liked a sequence of his near the end of the first when he broke through the slot and directed two dangerous shots (both recorded as scoring chances) on Mike Smith."
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

...yeah it's to bad Raymond can't pot a few more goals (points) to get the detractors off his back.

We notice him because he falls down sure but also due to the fact he's generally doing something out there and a lot of the time it's positive.

The kid just has to bust through, get some breaks, make quicker decisons, whatever it is/takes because as often as not he is right there ready to do something, (offensively speaking, defensively he is just fine), and that extra micro-second he takes blows it up in his face.

On the other hand the spin-o-rama (is this move even technically legal) has to go.

Pretend it's a mid-game breakaway not silly time.

Just put the freaking puck in the back of the net.

For Crissakes.
DeLevering since 1999.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

donlever wrote:...yeah it's to bad Raymond can't pot a few more goals (points) to get the detractors off his back.

We notice him because he falls down sure but also due to the fact he's generally doing something out there and a lot of the time it's positive.

The kid just has to bust through, get some breaks, make quicker decisons, whatever it is/takes because as often as not he is right there ready to do something, (offensively speaking, defensively he is just fine), and that extra micro-second he takes blows it up in his face.

On the other hand the spin-o-rama (is this move even technically legal) has to go.

Pretend it's a mid-game breakaway not silly time.

Just put the freaking puck in the back of the net.

For Crissakes.
I think Burrows has the team's best shootout percentage. Those guys should never shoot 3rd, as evidenced last night, sometimes the 3rd guy doesn't even get to shoot.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Larry Goodenough wrote: I think Burrows has the team's best shootout percentage. Those guys should never shoot 3rd, as evidenced last night, sometimes the 3rd guy doesn't even get to shoot.
Agree.

Burrows is a career 9 for 19 (47.4%) - easily our best shooter and should be shooting in the top 2 every time.
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

I'm in with the two of you.

AV has often made (from the outside looking in perspective) odd shootout decisions though.

Not his A game the silly time stuff.
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I thought it was a really boring game. I wasn't really impressed with anyone. Ginger had a horribly sloppy game and I hate sloppy men. :(
I wonder if Booth will become the new whipping boy for AV, at least until Ballard gets back. I think the best Booth played was when he was on a line with Kesler and Higgins. I'd like to see that line back which means, I know Raymond has to drop back to the third line, Unless you want to switch him and Burrows for a bit and see what happens.

I just don't see the team playing well right now. We do have a relatively easy finish to the season and should rack up some points, well after Thursday game anyway.
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hockey Widow wrote: Ginger had a horribly sloppy game and I hate sloppy men. :(
It's ok kid. I'm back now.

:lol:

..and look, I'm a vet already, sloppy dudes aren't vets after one freaking day.
Hockey Widow wrote: I wonder if Booth will become the new whipping boy for AV, at least until Ballard gets back.
I'd say the odds are really, really good.

It's a tough call, I'd like to see Chris with Kes and David as well but AV clearly will want Higgins aggressivenesss and up and down physicality on the 3rd as opposed to Masons ricochet rabbit style of play.

Sigh.
DeLevering since 1999.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

HW I disagree with your assessment of the Kesler line. With Higgins, Booth and Kes You have 3 grinding type players who are not particularly good playmakers. They are all pretty much north - south players with little finesse. Raymond can add that dimension although last night was not one of his better efforts in that regard. His critics slam him for not doing things that were never part of his game and never will be. His game is speed, passing and puck control and when he is on he is very good at it. Lately he seems to be trying to do too much to get that line going.

I liked the play of Kassian on the line with Kedler and Raymond. I think AV is experimenting to see how the various part can be interchanged. As others have said hopefully Pahlsson can take some of the "checking" pressure off Kesler and allow that line to press offensively. He still seems to have decent speed and certainly has the intelligence for his role.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

EDIT: ...sorry, wrong forum...moved to creepers pad.
DeLevering since 1999.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

donlever wrote:

Donny, are you in the hospital or laid up with a pair of broken legs by chance?

I only ask because you have 56 posts in that "one freaking day".....

:P
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

donlever wrote:

Hockey Widow wrote: I wonder if Booth will become the new whipping boy for AV, at least until Ballard gets back.
I'd say the odds are really, really good.

It's a tough call, I'd like to see Chris with Kes and David as well but AV clearly will want Higgins aggressivenesss and up and down physicality on the 3rd as opposed to Masons ricochet rabbit style of play.

Sigh.

I thought that comment would get a response from you!
The only HW the Canucks need
donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Mëds wrote:

:(

I can stop.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

donlever wrote:
Mëds wrote:

:(

I can stop.
Don't stop Donny.

You can post as much nonsense as you want... we just want to see your avatar.

donlever
CC Legend

Post by donlever »

Hank wrote:

Now its nonsense?!

:scowl:

Sheesh, cut a brother a break, it's been like 8 months since I've posted anything, anywhere at all.
DeLevering since 1999.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

donlever wrote:
Hank wrote:

Now its nonsense?!

:scowl:

Sheesh, cut a brother a break, it's been like 8 months since I've posted anything, anywhere at all.
No man, your posts are ALWAYS enlightened! We've been waiting 8 months for them. But if you WERE to post something of inferior quality (highly unlikely IMO), I wouldn't mind as my eyes would gradually be staring at your pic-du-jour anyway.

No hard feelings? :(