GDT - Feb 24, Canucks @ NJ Devils, 4pm PDT - SNet P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Feb 24, Canucks @ NJ Devils, 4pm PDT - SNet P

Post by tantalum »

Gutsy win. 5th game in 7 nights with a bunch of travel and shitty travel last night. The only hope was get a lead and rely on goaltending when the legs gave out. And that's what they did.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

tantalum wrote:Gutsy win. 5th game in 7 nights with a bunch of travel and shitty travel last night. The only hope was get a lead and rely on goaltending when the legs gave out. And that's what they did.
Yeah, apparently they got into NJ at 3:30 am. :wow:

And they squeezed a win out of only 16 shots too... 8-)
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Δ 'bout bloody time, too!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

Cornuck wrote:Δ 'bout bloody time, too!
We're having some fun killing win streaks, ended Detroit's streak, ended Jersey's 4 game win streak tonight, we'll go into Dallas who are on a 3 game win streak and then maybe Phoenix on a 5 game win streak. (Unless Pnx chokes against Edmonton first) :sly:

Oh and here's another bit of fun - if the playoffs started today, #1 Vancouver would start against #8 Dallas - so Sunday will be an interesting playoff preview. 8-)
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Impressive win, sounds like Schneider was the key. I was going to be out and not able to watch the game anyway, but I presumed they'd probably lose, and couldn't have really blamed them after beating the wheel and having to hop on a plane. Schneider's value keeps going up...I wonder if a team with a top 3-5 pick in June might decide that a likely no. 1 goalie in the hand is worth more than waiting on even a top prospect, given how even those can go bust, as we know (hello alexander daigle); I could see that happening.

Either way, the beat goes on. It's either the 1 or 2 seed, which as long as Chicago does not drop down (please, not again, too much freaking drama) should set up a good, as in not too difficult, match up for us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

So at t his rate, we should not expect Ryan Kesler to ever score 41 goals in a season, again. I guess last season he raised the bar on my expectations of him cause as of this season for Ryan, he's definitely not his former 2011/2012 NHL season self. Have to say, at the end of the day, not so impressed by Kes this year but then again, maybe I need to scratch Kesler's monster season last year from history and lower the expectation level a little. That being said, with the ever so impressive young centre Cody Hodgson giving this team amazing depth at centre. Does he now make Kes expendable? If we fall flat on our playoff faces this year, we could see a Philidelphia Flyer like shake-up after the Phillys dismal playoff outing in the 2011-2012 playoffs after going to the finals the previous year with the Blackhawks. Hmm, sound familiar?

At any rate how can you complain about the best team in the NHL. I'm really finding it hard to, other than Booth's low hockey intellect which is evident due to his puck-possession-turnover ratio and his terrible stick-handling, defense and passing and anticipation.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

mathonwy wrote:Wow... the Devils just can't handle the Nucks speed. We're on them so fast that the Devils can't make a pass.

This is fun to see.
This is becoming a bit of a problem for us, it's obvious that we are too fast. I think I'm on board with everyone else, in that trading our fastest guy - Mason Raymond for a slower, older guy who can fight cause fighting is much more important come the playoffs than speed is the right thing to do. Get slower, but tougher.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

With the exception of running out of gas in the last part of the third that game was a road masterpiece. They outshot us but except at the finish the D played well and it was the best game from Alberts I have seen in some time. Love the way Ginger stays on his feet and squares up to the shooter. Man does not give up many rebounds.

Burrows continues to impress game in and game out. He does everything and I will say it again. Dollar for dollar the best forward in the NHL. Is there anything he cannot do? Higgins looks like he is getting back his game for the umpteeth time and Kes simply shut down their offense.

Next couple of days will be interesting. Do we add a piece or not? My bet is we will not do much as we do not need much. Some depth on D would be ok as would getting Dustin Brown. I can see one of them happening but Brown is not coming to us.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote: Some depth on D would be ok as would getting Dustin Brown. I can see one of them happening but Brown is not coming to us.
Brown or any other big named player ain't coming to Vancouver. If Gillis does tinker at the deadline, it's going to be for rental's just to add depth. He ain't going to fuck the chemistry up by throwing every thing out of whack on the best team in the NHL by acquiring a Dustin Brown type of player.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

RoyalDude wrote:So at t his rate, we should not expect Ryan Kesler to ever score 41 goals in a season, again. I guess last season he raised the bar on my expectations of him cause as of this season for Ryan, he's definitely not his former 2011/2012 NHL season self. Have to say, at the end of the day, not so impressed by Kes this year but then again, maybe I need to scratch Kesler's monster season last year from history and lower the expectation level a little. That being said, with the ever so impressive young centre Cody Hodgson giving this team amazing depth at centre. Does he now make Kes expendable? If we fall flat on our playoff faces this year, we could see a Philidelphia Flyer like shake-up after the Phillys dismal playoff outing in the 2011-2012 playoffs after going to the finals the previous year with the Blackhawks. Hmm, sound familiar?

At any rate how can you complain about the best team in the NHL. I'm really finding it hard to, other than Booth's low hockey intellect which is evident due to his puck-possession-turnover ratio and his terrible stick-handling, defense and passing and anticipation.
Patience.

Kesler's fitness and non stop motor were keys to his success last year.

He was unable to train much this past summer due to the late ending and the delayed surgery. Instead of months, he had weeks.

Summers are important to build stamina and muscle mass that is slowly lost throughout the course of a season. If you're unable to lay down the same fitness and muscle mass base that you did the summer before, a difference in your play will most likely be noticed.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

RoyalDude wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Wow... the Devils just can't handle the Nucks speed. We're on them so fast that the Devils can't make a pass.

This is fun to see.
This is becoming a bit of a problem for us, it's obvious that we are too fast. I think I'm on board with everyone else, in that trading our fastest guy - Mason Raymond for a slower, older guy who can fight cause fighting is much more important come the playoffs than speed is the right thing to do. Get slower, but tougher.
Hanson has to go also....these over rated lightning fast players are slowing us down...slow grit....success :wink:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Larry Goodenough wrote: Kesler's fitness and non stop motor were keys to his success last year.

He was unable to train much this past summer due to the late ending and the delayed surgery. Instead of months, he had weeks.

Summers are important to build stamina and muscle mass that is slowly lost throughout the course of a season. If you're unable to lay down the same fitness and muscle mass base that you did the summer before, a difference in your play will most likely be noticed.
If that's true then we shouldn't expect as much from Kes come the playoffs either. Which is scary!
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hi all, i haven't posted for awhile even though I check in and have a read most every day.

For what it's worth, I have to say that I find it really gratifying how the Canucks are winning as they are. Having said that, I find them to be a perplexing bunch! When I look our team make-up, I don't really see 'stars', but I guess we have a balanced composition that most other teams apparently don't have. It's kind of like, not seeing them as special, but here they are, being kinda special. And what a mix eh? Fate, good fortune, along with good mgmt and a mix of intangibles and chemistry, and here we are.

I just never thought the Sedins would turn out to be so... special, but they are. And Burrows!? what the hell, as had been commented on earlier, the guy' is amazing... not a 'star' but he is in his own way, a `canuck star' (his overtime goal in the seventh game against Chicago is my all time favourite Canuck memory.. and I have memories going back to 1970 since i was born in '62... am an old fucker now for sure). An consider too how we're stacked in net - unbelievable! Remember Potvin? Cloutier? The coloured guy on CBC? (his name escapes me right now). The Salo trade for ...Sche...can't remember his name either!!! LOL). Luongo for Bertuzzi!! Say what you want but Nonis and Burke left behind a nucleus that was pretty sweet for Gillis to tinker with. After 30+ years of Canuck watching, the last couple years to present, has never been finer. In a league with 30 teams, we can truly say that ours is the cream of the crop. Everything changes though, and in all likelihood this will pass like everything else in life, but for the present in the here and now, it's damn fine. I gotta think after watching this rag tag bunch pull out the unexpected wins that they have, this is the year!! Now I have to get going... i have an appt. for something...but i can't remember what it was?

Cheers, and happy Nuck slogging to yas
cc oldtimer
CC Veteran

Post by Sticky »

RoyalDude wrote:
I havent heard of anyone of note suggesting that they'd rather have an older, slower, fighter than Raymond. And I havent seen any stats on Booth's puck possession turnover ratio. I would be interested to see that stat though if you have it. (along with Raymond's as well)

Dude... You're living in the past when you wax on about Raymond's speed. Its just not the asset we thought it was. He doesn't get many breakaways, and I cant recall the last time he blew past a defender. Other than outskating his own teammates, and skating in circles around the perimeter of the offensive zone, his speed has nothing more to offer.
I actually think that his speed makes him a less effective player than he would be if he lost a step. We see him turn on the jets... And then before he knows it, he has skated or stick handled himself into a corner, or heavy coverage and is lucky if he can snap a shot on net. I think he needs to think  and play the game slower, and use his speed as more of an afterburner.

I'm not a big fan particularily, but as far as Booth goes... at least his "low hockey intellect" takes his big body hard to the net with regularity.