GDT Feb 18: Laffs @ Vancouver: CBC, 4PM of course!

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: GDT Feb 18: Laffs @ Vancouver: CBC, 4PM of course!

Post by Arachnid »

Mëds wrote:I gotta preface this by saying the following.....

I LOVE BEATING THE leaves!

Ok, on to business...

Mëds blurb!

...Great game for the Canucks, here's hoping that they do the same to the Oiler's.
Crap GDT

Excellent PGT Post Game Thread 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Really good game for Tanev tonight, especially considering his partner. The kid had to play smart, simple, responsible hockey, and he did a good job of it.
Tanev played well enough, but can I ask has he improved since his very first call up and maybe we're seeing his whole game already....not that it's bad, but not spectacular any thoughts ?
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Tanev looked solid. It's a shame he doesn't have a good shot but he moved the puck well and didn't look out of place. He's a very cerebral player but if you are looking for him to drive someone into the boards or have a howitser like Salo you will be disappointed.

I see no reason he can't be a decent top 4 d-man in the years to come.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Tanev looked solid. It's a shame he doesn't have a good shot but he moved the puck well and didn't look out of place. He's a very cerebral player but if you are looking for him to drive someone into the boards or have a howitser like Salo you will be disappointed.

I see no reason he can't be a decent top 4 d-man in the years to come.
The Astoria Hotel
Used to do the best crab curry and rice on the westcoast IMO terrific

I hope Tanev can put some beef on, but I'm no longer sure he'll be a top 4 D certainly a good D for years to come
cheers
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: I see no reason he can't be a decent top 4 d-man in the years to come.
I can see him being an adequate top 4, but I doubt he'll be a mainstay top 3 unless there are injuries.....
Potatoe1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Potatoe1 »

Mëds wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote: I see no reason he can't be a decent top 4 d-man in the years to come.
I can see him being an adequate top 4, but I doubt he'll be a mainstay top 3 unless there are injuries.....
Tanev's upside is tough to peg given how late of a bloomer he is.

He will obviously never be a physical player, but if he can get stronger and work on his shot, he could be a solid 30+ point guys who'd very good in both zones.

He's already an excellent puck mover and sound in his own zone. That obviously isn't enough given his physical limitations but another couple summers of shooting pucks and hitting the gym and we could have a pretty fantastic player on our hands.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I was thinking Tanev could become a Bret Hedican or Grant Ledyard type of player..... not too bad for a free agent kid with a late growth spurt. He can and should work on his shot and his strength. I say kudos to him for already appearing in the show on a good team that has lots of depth.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I was thinking Tanev could become a Bret Hedican or Grant Ledyard type of player..... not too bad for a free agent kid with a late growth spurt. He can and should work on his shot and his strength. I say kudos to him for already appearing in the show on a good team that has lots of depth.
Interesting comparisson, looking at it from that perspective I would say that his potential could very well be in the top 3 on the team. This will all depend on how well he thinks the game though. As has been mentioned, he will never be a physical presence, and I don't see him being a puck rushing defenseman either, but he could very well be a steady anchor, like a very poor man's Lidstrom minus the shot. For guys like Tanev the game, and how high they ascend, is all between the shoulders.
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Listercat »

Tanev has a high panic level which is very difficult to "teach" a player. He makes very few mistakes. As he gets a little more experience under his belt I firmly believe he can learn the little things that will enhance his offensive skills. If he can become a Brian Rafalski type of player he will help this team for years to come.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lancer wrote:
mathonwy wrote:I gotta give a little credit to Ron for trying make amends to Burr.Just a little credit though because I still think he's a bit of a snake.
I was chuckling in an awkward kind of way watching Maclean tactfully try to 'mea culpa' his ass about Burrows and throw some bouquets his way. Loved how Cherry btwisted the knife a bit on him. Think the hatchet is buried there? Don't know but it was enjoyable to see.
Missed it, how did that conversation go??

I did catch the part where Cherry the Nucks are Bos/NYR-type tough.

LOL he hates the fact a pussyesque team like the Things are considered Cup-faves....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote:
The Astoria Hotel
Used to do the best crab curry and rice on the westcoast IMO terrific
When did you frequent the Astoria Fred ?

I have called the Astoria my 2nd home for a long time . It's been least 10 - 12 years when Royal Dude and I used to slay the chicks there on the weekends. As Edith and Archie would say "those were the days".
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Oh I think the first time i went there was maybe in the early seventies...unfortunatley haven't been for quite a while...but man great curry :)
cheers