GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks are just bored with regular season play. Not a good recipe heading into the last part of the season but I think they just put everything into winning the President's Trophy last season that this season they don't want to. The excitement is gone. I mean I think they know how nice it is and how important seeding can be but I think they are just more down to earth this season. Last season every game seemed huge to track down the Flyers for top spot and we also had to play for a lot longer to wrap up the Division. I think this year they are just more whatever about it. Maybe it is just finding that right gear and managing intensity levels. I suspect that as the season draws down and when we play opponents that matter we will ramp up the intensity.

As a fan I sense a big change in my attitude this year. In the past, some years more than others, it was always a hope we could win, or feeling if things went our way or we got a bounce or two we could win. This year I expect to win every game. I expect them to hold every lead they get. I don't feel the excitement that I did last season. I expect to in a month or two but right now its just like we are going through the motions. Last year was a thrill finishing first overall and getting to game 7 but this year it just doesn't have the same feel to it yet. I suspect the players to some extent feel that too.
What was the stat last night? 93 games in a row over more than 2 calendar years in which the team entered the 3rd period with the lead and did not lose in regulation? That says alot about the consistency, resiliancy and system. Possibly even the value of Malhotra.........
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

It's pretty evident the 'Nucks are just coasting (Although 8 0 2 and getting points until 3rd overall is pretty demented coasting)...hard to get motivated right now...they've won all the trophies and awards there are but one...I feel the same way this year...forget the excitement of regular season, it means shyte...bring on the fack'n playoffs..... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It is always the fear that they develop those bad lazy habits. I still want them to finish as high as they can and I want then going into the playoffs like a well oiled machine, with confidence. They are still very business like this year, no real highs, other than the Boston game, and no real lows. But ya, I'm ready for the playoffs.
The only HW the Canucks need
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

mathonwy wrote:What a game to go to.

First game to go to this season and I go to this one. Wow.
Ditto for me (though being from Ontario I'm not sure when the second one will be - but hopefully in Round 1 or 2!)

From what I saw:
- on the puck, the Sedins played well despite lack of production - they generated a lot of chances, controlled the boards well and ate up a lot of minutes in the Av zone.

- I almost shit myself when I noticed that Rome and Alberts were on the ice together - though coincidentally (or not) it seemed to be only when the top 2 forward lines were on at the same time.

- since we were pretty close to the action (10 rows off the glass in the end the Canucks attack twice), I also watched the "off the puck" action quite a bit in order to pick up things I can't on TV. I though Hansen played great - not the goal (though it was a beauty), but the battles, tying up guys, finding open space.

- same for Hodgson who looks very comfortable and confident. Raymond on the other hand looks like a pee wee playing a man's game. Sorry - I like the guy, and he does have some mad PK skills, but when he's not losing an edge and wiping out, he's consistently being neutralized by the opposition and lays out checks like he's scrimmaging in practice with Sidney Crosby.

- 2nd period was a bit sluggish - Canucks didn't seem to get a lot of pucks deep, and those that did get deep were to facilitate a change. Lou had no chance on Johnson's goal (Salo over-committed to the shot / pass down low).

- as much as Booth impresses me, I still can't shake the feeling it's like he and Kesler are too similar to work together as effectively as they're capable of.

- Bitz! Easily a fan favourite. We have some big dudes on the team right now - so I'd say grit / depth forward takes a back seat to the D depth heading into the playoffs. Expecting Tanev to come up and play at a high level without error during the playoffs is a big ask. Expecting Alberts to do that is impossible.

Bottom line - enjoyable game to watch live, and the Canucks were dominating enough at times to get your money's worth.

And to HW's point about expectations.....yep, I sat there completely expecting a win, and so did everyone around me. Being able to appreciate it live and up close reinforces for me how good this team is, and that the expectation is warranted.

Of course it was the Av's......but still....
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Hmm no Booth drive-by from RD yet.

I think the reason Booth and Kesler seem to work is because if one is going to the net (typically Booth) it gives the other (Kesler) some space to work.

While the team isn't clicking on all cylinders yet the last two games they have started to put forth some effort. Still lots of things to clean up but it's encouraging.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

tantalum wrote:Hmm no Booth drive-by from RD yet.

I think the reason Booth and Kesler seem to work is because if one is going to the net (typically Booth) it gives the other (Kesler) some space to work.

While the team isn't clicking on all cylinders yet the last two games they have started to put forth some effort. Still lots of things to clean up but it's encouraging.
RD/BD only drives by East-End hotels...and that's only to let old friends off.... 8-)

I think we should call him Troll Booth...he reminds me of a troll somehow....I sure hope he does that charging the net in the playoffs...

....take care.....
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:It's pretty evident the 'Nucks are just coasting (Although 8 0 2 and getting points until 3rd overall is pretty demented coasting)...hard to get motivated right now...they've won all the trophies and awards there are but one...I feel the same way this year...forget the excitement of regular season, it means shyte...bring on the fack'n playoffs..... 8-)
The Vezina?

:wink:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Then there are the Norris, Smyth, Richard, Crozier, & more - which have never been won by a Canuck.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

clem wrote:Then there are the Norris, Smyth, Richard, Crozier, & more - which have never been won by a Canuck.
Pavel would've won the Richard Trophy if it existed in '94 though....just sayin
If you need air...call it in
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Per wrote:
Arachnid wrote:It's pretty evident the 'Nucks are just coasting (Although 8 0 2 and getting points until 3rd overall is pretty demented coasting)...hard to get motivated right now...they've won all the trophies and awards there are but one...I feel the same way this year...forget the excitement of regular season, it means shyte...bring on the fack'n playoffs..... 8-)
The Vezina?

:wink:
Just the ones that matter...besides who'd want one that Timmy Thomas excreted in....ewwwwwwwww 8-)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I'm letting you girls have your day in the sign enjoying your Booth man-crush's recent flukey success. The dumb blonde, horse faced Evangelist will come back down to earth sooner than later. He's still completely lost out there every shift.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
I'm letting you girls have your day in the sign enjoying your Booth man-crush's recent flukey success. The dumb blonde, horse faced Evangelist will come back down to earth sooner than later. He's still completely lost out there every shift.
Are you say we are blind and beHolden with him?! 8-)