GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Shootouts have been very kind to the Colorado Avalanche all season, except earlier this month when they hosted Vancouver.

The Canucks are getting plenty of practice in tiebreakers, but they hope they won't need one Wednesday night as they look to take at least one point from the Avalanche for the 15th consecutive meeting.

Colorado (28-25-4) had won all seven of its shootouts this season and 10 straight overall until losing its most recent one Feb. 4, when Vancouver's Mason Raymond scored the lone shootout goal in a 3-2 win. Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa had tied the game with 35 seconds left in regulation.

That was one of five shootouts in Vancouver's last six games. The Canucks (35-15-6) have won five of eight shootouts during a 9-1-3 stretch, which has helped them build a hefty Northwest Division lead.

"We're comfortable in those games," Bieksa said Monday after a 2-1 shootout win over Phoenix. "In the shootout we've been getting better results at least."

Vancouver scored four times in six rounds in Monday's tiebreaker - including one from David Booth, who also scored in regulation. Booth has five goals and four assists in 11 games since returning from a knee injury.

He credited linemate Ryan Kesler, who has scored six times in his last nine contests and had the deciding shootout goal Monday.

"He's seeing the ice really well right now and that really helps me out when he can move the puck and just put it in good areas," Booth said.

Kesler, Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin each has seven goals during Vancouver's extended run of dominance over Colorado - a 12-0-2 stretch dating back to Nov. 1, 2009. Henrik Sedin also has 12 assists during that span, including one on each of his brother's three goals during a 6-0 win Dec. 6 in the Avs' most recent visit to Vancouver.

Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider both played in that game due to a Luongo injury. It's unclear who will be in net Wednesday, but Schneider has stopped 104 of 107 shots while going 3-0-0 in four appearances versus Colorado since the start of last season.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere could be back in the crease for the Avs after Semyon Varlamov suffered his fourth straight defeat Saturday in a 3-2 overtime loss at St. Louis. Giguere played earlier this month against Vancouver and has won both of his starts since, making 39 saves in Friday's 4-3 overtime victory over Carolina.

Colorado coach Joe Sacco seemed satisfied despite losing to the red-hot Blues, especially considering the game-winning goal went in off the elbow of a St. Louis skater. The Avs picked up a point for the fourth straight game.

"I like where we are at right now," Sacco said. "We had an opportunity to block that last shot and we didn't. It takes a funny bounce and it goes in."

The Avs may be looking to Paul Stastny during their three-game swing through Canada. Stastny has five multi-point games in his last 15, with Colorado winning all five - and going 0-7-3 otherwise.

The team has scored two or fewer goals 11 times in that stretch.

Offensive help could be on the way soon. Center Matt Duchene practiced Monday - without contact - for the first time since suffering a knee injury Dec. 29. He'll join the team on this trip, although it remains unclear when he'll return.

"He looks good out there," Stastny told the Avs' official website. "He brings life to this team."

Well this will be the last GDT for me for a bit as I'm flying up to Ft McMisery for my 2 week rotation tomorrow but so far I'm undefeated!
I'm thinking it'll be another close, tight checking game much like the last meeting with these guys. They have some quick and gritty forwards that cause havoc in our end. Much like Phoenix actually... Look at TJ Galiardi...he would really fit in on this Canucks team IMHO. Wonder what it would take....

I predict a 3-2 OT win with Bieksa scoring the winner....assists to Hammer and the stanchion.
If you need air...call it in
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: GDT - Feb 15, 2012 Avs at Nucks 7PM SNET-PAC

Post by dhabums »

Punch them in the back of the head.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Beat em in regulation!...no moore shootouts
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

KeyserSoze wrote:Beat em in regulation!...no moore shootouts
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

KeyserSoze wrote:Beat em in regulation!...no moore shootouts
...and by more than 1 goal.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

Beyond the 2 points, a good showing by Higgins would ice the cake game.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Nice start......booth sup man??
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

I just want to point out that despite Booth's 29G 29A pace for the canucks at this point in the season he didn't do anything for Florida and they didn't want him....and that somehow matters. So we've been told.

Great goal going to the net 13 seconds in!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Talk bitz.....win or lose?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

tantalum wrote:I just want to point out that despite Booth's 29G 29A pace for the canucks at this point in the season he didn't do anything for Florida and they didn't want him....and that somehow matters. So we've been told.

Great goal going to the net 13 seconds in!
Damn. Missed it.

Anyone who thinks Booth isn't playing well is mentally deficient. Royal Dude just doesn't want to admit being wrong thus far. Maybe he's hoping Booth disappears, but why he'd do that as a Canuck fan is beyond me.

He's doing everything he's supposed to. Providing secondary scoring, using his size and speed and giving the Canucks excellent secondary (primary these days...) scoring. At the moment, he's one of our best players.
clem
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by clem »

There's some of the Hansen hustle we've been missing. Time to get the physical going again guy.
t_lind
AHL Prospect

Post by t_lind »

Is Kesler even playing tonight?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

t_lind wrote:Is Kesler even playing tonight?
Are the Sedins?
t_lind
AHL Prospect

Post by t_lind »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
t_lind wrote:Is Kesler even playing tonight?
Are the Sedins?
They are at least generating chances.

Kesler is not.
spooner
CC Veteran

Post by spooner »

dhabums wrote:Punch them in the back of the head.
Ladies and gentlemen... the always tactful, dhabums. :thumbs: