GDT - Feb 13, 2012 Coyotes at Vancouver 7PM S-net Pacific

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

GDT - Feb 13, 2012 Coyotes at Vancouver 7PM S-net Pacific

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

COYOTES (27-21-8) at CANUCKS (34-15-6)

TV: FS-A PLUS (HD), SNET-P (HD)

Last 10: Phoenix 6-3-1; Vancouver 6-1-3

Season Series: This is the second of four season meetings. In the first, Vancouver came to the desert on Nov. 25 and left with a 5-0 victory. Last season, Phoenix won both meetings in Vancouver.

Big Story: Phoenix's will put its season-high, five-game winning streak -- and newfound playoff position -- on the line Monday at Rogers Arena. With wins against conference giants like Detroit, San Jose and on Saturday night, Chicago -- the Coyotes moved into eighth place with 62 points. With wins in six of their last eight, Vancouver returns home for a three-game stand looking to gain on leaders Detroit.

Team Scope:

Coyotes: As teams like Minnesota, Colorado and Dallas have seen their fortunes fade, the Coyotes have pounced, leapfrogging those three teams and Calgary to move into eighth position in a span of two weeks. While Phoenix has used an uptick in scoring to turn it around -- the Yotes are averaging 3.4 goals a game over the streak -- goalie Mike Smith has been a rock between the pipes. Over the last four games, he has stopped 119 of 122 shots, and has been in net for all five wins. He made 38 saves for his third shutout of the season against Chicago on Saturday.

"In the last two, three weeks, the guys in front of me have found ways to tie up sticks and let me see the puck," Smith said.

Canucks: Vancouver fell 3-2 in a shootout to Calgary Saturday, its only defeat on a four-game road trip. Goals from Cody Hodgson and David Booth erased a two-goal deficit, but Jarome Iginla eventually bagged the shootout-winner for the Flames. Still, Vancouver is on a nine-game points streak (6-0-3) and, heading into Sunday's games, is within two points of conference-leading Detroit.

"It's always nice to get that many points, but it stings a little bit with that last one," Burrows said. "We'll take that and get ready for the homestand."

Who’s Hot: Phoenix veteran and team scoring leader Ray Whitney has an eight-game points streak, with 2 goals and 10 assists over that stretch. … Booth has 4 goals and 4 assists in his last nine games, and also scored in the 5-0 drubbing of Phoenix earlier this season.

Injury Report: David Schlemko went on injured reserve with a foot injury on Jan. 8 and will miss the remainder of the season. … Vancouver's Dale Weise is doubtful for Monday's game with a lacerated foot. Chris Higgins is on injured reserve with an illness, and Andrew Ebbett is out indefinitely with collarbone surgery.

Stat Pack: Roberto Luongo has been nearly as sharp as Smith, with a 4-0-2 record and 2.35 goals-against average since Jan. 21. Against Phoenix, he has been even stingier, with a 1.50 GAA over his last six starts. He will need to be in top form early against the Coyotes, which has scored within the first eight minutes in each of their last four games. Radim Vrbata and Boyd Gordon gave Phoenix a 2-0 edge against Chicago just 5:58 into Saturday’s contest.

Puck Drop: "We have to put a string together, and we hadn't had a sustained winning streak all year. A sustained winning streak can get you right back to where you want to be. These five games have obviously been a great boost to us. We're playing better as a group. We're doing things that make you win." -- Phoenix coach Dave Tippett after Saturday’s 3-0 win over Chicago.

I'll keep doing the game day threads until we lose in regulation I guess.

This game will be a good one I expect and the half assed efforts of late just wont cut it against the 'Yotes. There were some encouraging signs of life in the game against the Flames but I really want to see us crank this one up and show why we are the top seed in the west.
I'm calling 3-1 Nucks with a dig-down-deep effort.
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: GDT - Feb 13, 2012 Coyotes at Vancouver 7PM S-net Pacifi

Post by rats19 »

i enjoy your gdthreads...udl...thnx for doing them
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

A canuck win will likely mean they beat an opponent at the top of their game so the canucks likely had to be firing on most cylinders.

A canuck loss makes Flame and Hawk message boards fun.

win-win?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Heard Barbara was starting for the Yotes. He gives the Canucks fits but with the way Smith is playing have to wonder if Yotes are being too strategic.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

From the Canucks Facebook:
News from Practice:

Vigneault: Ballard experiencing headaches, being checked by Doctors. Weise is "feeling better". Higgins has been practicing on his own for 3 days, with the group today. Will practice tomorrow.

Higgins: "Skating with the team today gave me more confidence. I'm not going to take any games for granted."
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

rats19 wrote:i enjoy your gdthreads...udl...thnx for doing them
Thx Rats. I know I slaved over a hot keyboard for like 40 seconds solid to make it all happen!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
rats19 wrote:i enjoy your gdthreads...udl...thnx for doing them
Thx Rats. I know I slaved over a hot keyboard for like 40 seconds solid to make it all happen!!!
nothing truly good..comes easy...lol
rockjetty
CC Rookie

Post by rockjetty »

Get 'er done!

2-1 'Nucks. Salo GWG.

I think we see some playoff hockey tonight...
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Wow! CoHo just about spawned all the way upstream for a highlight-reel goal.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Hank wrote:Wow! CoHo just about spawned all the way upstream for a highlight-reel goal.
I dont think he quite laid the roe in there though...
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Hank wrote:Wow! CoHo just about spawned all the way upstream for a highlight-reel goal.
I dont think he quite laid the roe in there though...
Bad gravel......
On another note.....on pace for 12 shots..
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Anyone notice RK17 giving the death stare to and then cursing out Ned Flanders7 on the bench?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Wee bit of a push here....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote:Anyone notice RK17 giving the death stare to and then cursing out Ned Flanders7 on the bench?
Stupid sexy Flanders....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote:
Hank wrote:Anyone notice RK17 giving the death stare to and then cursing out Ned Flanders7 on the bench?
Stupid sexy Flanders....
Lol! No-hands Ned dedicates another goal to RD...