GDT - Feb 11, 2012 at Calgary 7PM CBC

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

GDT - Feb 11, 2012 at Calgary 7PM CBC

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

CANUCKS (34-15-5) at FLAMES (25-22-8)

TV: CBC

LAST 10: Vancouver 7-1-2; Calgary 4-3-3

Season Series: Fourth of six meetings between these Northwest Division rivals. The Canucks claimed a pair of 5-1 wins before the Flames responded with a 3-1 victory in Vancouver the last time they matched up on Dec. 23. Roberto Luongo has posted a 1.34 goals-against average and .951 save percentage against Calgary this season.

Big Story: Coming down the stretch, both teams find themselves in similar positions to a season ago. The Canucks are first in the Northwest, battling to defend the Presidents' Trophy, while the Flames are on the playoff bubble in the Western Conference, two points out of eighth.

Team Scope:

Canucks: This is the finale of a four-game road trip for Vancouver, which is going for the sweep. Good fortune seems to be smiling on the Canucks of late, as the concern after Tuesday's shootout win over the Predators was that Henrik Sedin might be sidelined with a foot injury. He missed practice the following day and was seen in a walking boot. Not only did Sedin take the ice against the Wild on Thursday, his 553rd consecutive game, he scored a goal in the Canucks' 5-2 win. Daniel Sedin assisted on it after earlier scoring a power-play goal of his own.

"After warm-ups, I wasn't that good," Henrik said. "But once the game starts you get the adrenaline going a little bit. It was good."

Flames: Depending on whether you view the glass as half empty or half full, there are varying ways to look at Calgary's game in Phoenix on Thursday. The negative is that the Flames lost 2-1 in overtime, giving up a point to one of its chief competitors for the final West playoff spot. On the other hand, Olli Jokinen's goal 4:01 into the third period kept them from coming away totally empty and meant they secured at least a point (1-0-2) on all three games of their road trip. Six of the Flames' final eight games to close February will be at the Scotiabank Saddledome.

"We knew this game would be tough, and I'm proud the way the guys battled back to tie it," coach Brent Sutter said. "We just have to keep pushing. It's all right there for whoever wants it."

Who's Hot: Ryan Kesler extended his goal-scoring streak to five games in the Canucks' win over the Wild, while Henrik Sedin now has 1 goal and 5 assists during a five-game points streak. … Jokinen is on a tear for the Flames, recording 5 goals and 3 assists during a five-game points streak.

Injury Report: Vancouver forward Dale Weise (foot) is day-to-day. Forwards Andrew Ebbett (collarbone) and Chris Higgins (illness) are on injured reserve. … Calgary defenseman Derek Smith (ankle) and forwards David Moss (ankle), Curtis Glencross (MCL) and Lee Stempniak (ankle) are on injured reserve.

Stat Pack: While Daniel Sedin has double the goals of Henrik this season (24 to 12), he only leads his twin in power-play goals by two (7 to 5), while each has recorded 5 game-winning goals. … Jokinen has scored 13 of his 17 goals this season on the road.

Puck Drop: Recently recalled Vancouver forward Byron Bitz, who drew the primary assist on Henrik Sedin's goal against Minnesota, raved about his new linemate afterward.

"People talk about toughness, and toughness is a lot more than dropping the gloves," Bitz said. "Playing through injuries and things like that, that's toughness."

Calgarians are already chalking this one up as a loss :P
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=114341
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: GDT - Feb 11, 2012 at Calgary 7PM CBC

Post by Jovocop »

Two things about the Canucks so far in the first period.

Rome + Alberts = OMG

What was Bieksa thinking when Cammy was standing in front of the net whacking the puck?? Bieksa just stood there and watch.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Watching the game at friends.....duco and bitz add some gritt. We have 2 penalties, both lame imo. Plus the 5min, I think we have some jump and will win this game.

Pretty bad on a gdt to drop off the screen and no feedback. You all are scaring me into thinking you may have lives...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Too bad about that Alberts "fight."

Body language screamed "I'm in way over my head, how do I do this without getting killed while making it look good?"
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The flames play damn hard on every puck battle. It's gonna end up having to be greasy goals today as they're picking off all the dangles and back passes.
Definitely like what Duco and Bitzie have brought. It's been awhile since we've dressed any muscle.
If you need air...call it in
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

HOLY FUCK KIPPER...

You god damn red headed thief.
porp
CC Veteran

Post by porp »

Kiprusof definitely had a good regulation-time game. Shootout? Outcome speaks for itself.

Booth - yeah, biggish guy, but doesn't/can't play it tough, and yeah RoyalDude, I agree that his passing sucks as does his general hand-eye. Salo still looks very very strong despite being glassy and not 300/Spartan-looking, and I'm stepping back against Hodgeson - he's a thick little kid with strength where it counts (legs?). I'm really liking this kid, the question is whether he'll be able to elevate his linemates or is only capable of only being merely a pretty good player.

I understand that Alberts is a 5/6D, but he's unimpressive for what he's supposed to be good at; size and strength. He has the size, but maybe not the strength.

A big thing I took out of watching this game was that either the Canucks players aren't very strong or they don't know how to use their strength (or their team strength coaches aren't worth what they're being paid). Then again, when Roger Takahashi (?) was the trainer, there were that rash of lower back injuries?(?)

And what happened to the hyperbaric chambers?

Iggy's still "great," but no longer *great* I wish him all the best, but I kinda doubt Calgary could get anything good, other than by accident, for him from a deadline trade.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Uncle dans leg wrote: Definitely like what Duco and Bitzie have brought. It's been awhile since we've dressed any muscle.
Not only that but they're also better players than Wiese, Volpatti etal. Hope Duco stays in the lineup over DW32.

Nice to see a few more guys willing and able to handle themselves in the fisticuffs dept. Developing a bit of the gang mentality and instantly increasing team toughness.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Well, 7 out of 8 pts on a trip is pretty good. They deserved to win on their play, but given that we deserved to lose the Colorado game, I guess it's even up, comes out in the wash. In all, they played a much more solid game than they were playing before they hit the road.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kind of ironic that the best game of the road trip is the one we lost. But 7-8 points works for me. The Calgary Vancouver games just no longer have the lustre they used to. We woke up when it was 2-0 and really could have won that game in regulation but hats off to Kipper. He stole 2 points for the Flames.

All in all a great road trip points wise. Here is hoping we get our collective heads back into regular season play and stop coasting for the playoffs to begin. They are playing like they are bored and just want the season to end.
The only HW the Canucks need
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Man. I just clicked on the CP link and all they are talking about is how they are going to get beat. It must suck to be them truly. The third period was about a third done when I went to bed. It was late out here. Even then I went knowing somehow the Canucks were going to at least tie it up. Did you see Lou in the highlights smashing his stick? He is playing lights out and is dialled in. They are going to be someone's nightmare come the playoffs when they play an entire 60 minutes. I swear they put it in and out of gear when they decide to. Nice to hear Hughson say Van is accused of lack of toughness but is third most penalized in the NHL.

I am slowly, after many years of following them getting used to having a good team. Before I would always wait for the wheels to come off. Now I am waiting for them to spin faster. When did this happen? I sure hope they nail it this year so the team gets respect and players like Lou and the twins, Burrows and Salo are seen by all as the great hockey players they are.

On a side note it must hurt to be a Hawk fan these days. Shut out in Phoenix or exposed in the Desert. Stay classy Canucks. What goes around...., and it will be nice to see the Bruins continue their return back to the choke artist goons they are. Keep talking TT and maybe teh taxi driver will give it all to you, If not her then Peggy.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

The Flames really had no business winning the game. They barely held on to win in a shootout while getting doubled in shots while having double the power play chances. A win is a win but I wouldn't be too proud of the performance if I was a Flame or Flame fan. Credit due to Kipper, though. The good goalies steal wins for their team. He definitely gave them a chance.

How about Lou's save on Iginla? IU haven't reacted to save like that since the "old Luongo" pre-mindf*ck days. It's good to see glimpses of him again.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:The Flames really had no business winning the game. They barely held on to win in a shootout while getting doubled in shots while having double the power play chances. A win is a win but I wouldn't be too proud of the performance if I was a Flame or Flame fan. Credit due to Kipper, though. The good goalies steal wins for their team. He definitely gave them a chance.
Replace Flames with Canucks, and Kipper with Luongo/Schneider, and you have a perfect statement for the Canucks play over the past month...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^
And good teams find ways to win and to manage their losses. We found a way to win 3 games we should not have and managed our loss in the one game we should have won. Thats 7-8 points.

Right now we miss Higgins for his spark and his intensity and our 5-6 D pair cause us grief. Once Higgins gets back and Ballard I think we look much better. But of course it depends upon whether the guys can pretend enough that they care about the games right now.
The only HW the Canucks need