GDT - Feb 7, 2012 at Nashville 5PM SNET-P

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: GDT - Feb 7, 2012 at Nashville 5PM SNET-P

Post by Larry Goodenough »

damonberryman wrote:Watching the intro to the game last night I realized that Roberto's basic stat package such as GAA and save% is right around the same as Rinne who everyone is treating as the seond coming. Also people point out how wonderful the Preds are on D, what studs they have, but bash both our D and most of all Lou. Right now Lou is playing fantastic hockey. For those who say he does not do well under pressure, how much more pressure can a player for a major sports team take then goalies in Vancouver? I think he is going to do it this year and shut them all up. I think our D needs some depth with a mean streak but I do not see our season and its outcome depending upon it. I was pissed at Lou last year after the SCF but I know it was not his fault. It is a team game and all goalies have bad performances. We need as a city to be more supportive of him. Our media needs to recognize that he is a world class tender and we got him. His cap hit over teh next four years or so is going to seem a better bargain every time we look. I think by adding Booth and the maturing of Hodgson we are on our way. Bitz looked good out there last night eh?

Tim Thomas gave up 5 or more goals 4 times against Tampa Bay in the ECF. A team that is in 14th place 7 months later.

Luongo gave up 5 or more goals twice in the SCF.

Circumstance is the reason these goalies allowed goals when they did.

The simple mindedness of group mentality, fueled by the soap opera nature of mass media, twisted the circumstances into a Dr. Phil episode.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Vancouver outchanced Nashville 7-2 in the 3rd period. They started to look like the team from November and December.

Hopefully it carries on and they are able to tighten up a little more defensively.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Larry Goodenough wrote:Vancouver outchanced Nashville 7-2 in the 3rd period. They started to look like the team from November and December.

Hopefully it carries on and they are able to tighten up a little more defensively.
It seems to be their MO lately, and it's incredibly frustrating to watch. They stumble and sleep-walk their way through two periods, and then come alive in the third.

It really might be beneficial for this team to have a 9-0 drubbing pounded into their heads. Most of their game seems sloppy and without much motivation.
rockjetty
CC Rookie

Post by rockjetty »

Sticky wrote:
rats19 wrote:Out of curiocity...what Is our penalty to powerplay numbers last few games...say 4 games.
No wonder the pp is struggling..we are never on it ffs
Last four games.... The Canucks have been on the power play for 12:05, and on the PK for 26:03.

Pretty nasty spread, probably indicative of their noticeably messy play.

Was surprised to see that since the Boston game, the numbers were much closer... With the Canucks enjoying
51:43 of PP time (avg.4:40 per game), while their opponents had 48:16 over that time. (4:39 per game)
I posted in the home stretch thread that I thought there is another possible reason for this... The Canucks have essentially taken embellishment out of their game since the break, and subsequently aren't getting the calls. My guess is GMMG/AV would rather have the team be held in a good light with both the media and refs, and not give fodder to motivate other teams. As a consequence, the Canucks are learning how to play 5 on 5 to win, rather than relying on their #1 ranked PP. If the calls disappear in the playoffs, the team will be better prepared to win...
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Island Nucklehead wrote: It seems to be their MO lately, and it's incredibly frustrating to watch. They stumble and sleep-walk their way through two periods, and then come alive in the third.
If you just tell yourself they are saving it for the playoffs it becomes much easier to watch.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Larry Goodenough wrote:Vancouver outchanced Nashville 7-2 in the 3rd period. They started to look like the team from November and December.

It seems to be their MO lately, and it's incredibly frustrating to watch. They stumble and sleep-walk their way through two periods, and then come alive in the third.

It really might be beneficial for this team to have a 9-0 drubbing pounded into their heads. Most of their game seems sloppy and without much motivation.

Well, in the last 3 games they were outchanced in the 3rd (4-3 vs Chi, 5-3 vs Col and 7-6 vs Det) They were outplayed in the 3rd periods and were getting lucky, not coming alive.

Outchancing a good Nashville team, on the road and with no powerplays by a dominating 7-2 number is encouraging.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

Southern_Canuck wrote: Anyway, I guess it'll be a Los Angeles-Boston final.

Both fan bases are convinced the NHL is out to get them, too.