GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Listercat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:02 pm

mathonwy wrote:
Listercat wrote:And sometmes your goaltender has to steal a game for you.

You think Luo stole this one for us?

Yeah, I guess he did.

Ok. Chalk this one up as a game stolen.

Did he steal the Tampa Bay game?



Luongo didn't but Cory did.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt "
Listercat
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:12 pm
Location: Not Bountiful

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Southern_Canuck » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:08 pm

So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

Time to take advantage of some home games!

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
User avatar
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:27 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Overtime » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 pm

mathonwy wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Is Kesler gonna pull a Bertuzzi and only give us 'ONE' Great season?

Was thinking the same thing.

Kesler was absolutely invisible this game. He's not using his speed and trying out outmuscle the Blues ain't going to happen.

19 minutes and a minus 1 and ZERO SHOTS.

How does that happen?

Its mid-season, he just cruising and not over doing it. Maturing. Knows its a long season probably. IMHO.
Overtime
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Hockey Widow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 pm

6 out of 8 points but we only played well for one game, against Boston. We are lucky to have gotten the other 4 points but it is nice to get those breaks. Hank with 2 more points, Dank reaching 700 points and tying Morrison for most regular season OT goals. Luongo tying McClean for most wins. A good night.

And we go 3 points up on the Blues. We miss Salo more than we think we do. Whenever he is out the D looks like one big cluster fu&k. No question that MG needs to upgrade the defence before the playoffs. Booth should be back any game now so our forwards should look pretty deep but we are one injury away on the back end from disaster.

I'm satisfied with the points on this road trip but not too pleased with how we played. But with some rest and home cooking perhaps we can get back to playing sound hockey. Funny eh, first place in the West and still not satisfied! :D
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4222
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Where was Potatoe's buddy Keith Ballard tonight? Is AV making 'bad' line-up decisions again?

Dude, the Canucks were lucky to pull out a win. Sulzer made quite a few mistakes which the puck almost ended up in the net. If the Blues had a little bit more finish, the game could be easily over in the second period. You might not like Ballard but he is definitely an upgrade over Sulzer.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby BladesofSteel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Five more games this month, they can now take a deep breath and decompress a little.

There's no question the special teams are fantastic, and should only improve with Booth coming back, and Manny regaining some confidence and jump.

But if there is one area of concern I've seen trending downwards for a bulk of the season, its the team defense. The low % back hand passes and increasingly high number of turnovers needs to be addressed when they return home and review some game tape.

It was a gutsy road trip and they performed admirable, even if they were no where near where they can be. Its now time to regroup and go over some fundamentals, because there is no way this team should be giving up as many scoring chances and goals 5 on 5 as they have been.
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 844
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm
Location: Lower left-hand corner

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby tantalum » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Team clearly needs some extended time at home and some days of good practice. I'll be more concerned if they continue to play like this a couple weeks from now.

If Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler clean up their games again it looks a whole lot difference.
User avatar
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:41 am
Location: Carl Junction, MO

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby dhabums » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Southern_Canuck wrote:So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

Time to take advantage of some home games!

S_C



March 1 on looks like the wives designed the schedule.
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Corb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 pm

dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

Time to take advantage of some home games!

S_C



March 1 on looks like the wives designed the schedule.

As usual, you have it backwards ;)
User avatar
Corb
CC 2nd Team All-Star
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:18 am

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Jovocop » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:27 pm

tantalum wrote:Team clearly needs some extended time at home and some days of good practice. I'll be more concerned if they continue to play like this a couple weeks from now.

If Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler clean up their games again it looks a whole lot difference.


To be fair, Bieksa played a lot better closer to the end of the game. Bieksa is not a very smart hockey player. When he thinks too much or tries to be fancy with the puck, he always ends up giving up the puck. On the other hand, when he plays a simple game and be physical, he definitely worths his contract.

This was one of those games that I actually would like the Canucks taking the penalty. They played much better when they were shorthanded.
User avatar
Jovocop
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Boy, not a big fan of Baltard, but he should definitely play ahead of Shultzer. Wasn't too impressed with Shultzer tonite, we should only play that guy when we have to (ie - when all our other D-men are injured). Hopefully Baltard will be back in the lineup next game.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1281
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby dhabums » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 am

Corb wrote:
dhabums wrote:
Southern_Canuck wrote:So that was the 26th road game for the Canucks (16-9-1) vs. 19 home games (12-5-2)... not too shabby.

They looked tired and sloppy for a lot of the game (2 clean shorthanded breakaways against during one powerplay? Sheesh) but somehow got the win.

Time to take advantage of some home games!

S_C



March 1 on looks like the wives designed the schedule.

As usual, you have it backwards ;)



You mean the pro athletes that have women in every city want to be at home with the kids and wife?
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby mathonwy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:25 am

It looks like Salo is the leader of the Canuck defense corp and with Salo going out, nobody seems to know what to do.

Bieksa is trying to stand up but he just doesn't have the skill to do so. He's got really good speed but isn't all that smart. Salo has a much higher hockey IQ and I would rather have Salo on the ice in the last minute of regulation then Bieksa.

Edler is a bit of an enigma. I feel that he's on the cusp of greatness but it just isn't there yet. He's got all of the tools to do so but its still a learning process for him. Will Edler ever be as great as Lidstrom? Only if the Nucks win the Cup.

Hamhuis has been making some uncharacteristic mistakes as of late. This is especially evident during the forecheck. I've noticed that If you can catch Hammer down at the boards, he's prone to turning it over.

Old man Salo so far seems to be the glue holding our defense together which is a bit dangerous if you ask me.
User avatar
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2103
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby dhabums » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:35 am

mathonwy wrote:Edler is a bit of an enigma. I feel that he's on the cusp of greatness but it just isn't there yet. He's got all of the tools to do so but its still a learning process for him. Will Edler ever be as great as Lidstrom? Only if the Nucks win the Cup.


A rather ridiculous standard to hold a player to. If Edler is HALF as good we should rejoice.

Is Henrik Gretzky yet?
User avatar
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Postby Per » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 am

Listercat wrote:And sometmes your goaltender has to steal a game for you.

Absolutely. Credit where credit is due.
User avatar
Per
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

PreviousNext

Return to Game Day Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurningBeard, Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest