GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

This forum is to discuss game day happenings. New threads will be posted for each game.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: GDT: Canucks @ Blues 5pm PST

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote: Ballard might be small but he can skate and pass a lot better than Sulzer. If money is not a factor, you can argue all you want but I am sure the other 29 GMs would take Ballard over Sulzer any time any day.
So, in short, AV is an idiot for not dressing Ballard? Even though we are what, the best team in the NHL?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote: I get so tired of seeing players on the ice overreact every time they get called for an infraction against Burrows and Kesler. They want everyone to believe that those two never get legit penalty calls and it seems that the next day thats all you hear, about how they dove and that cost the other team.
The fact of the matter is, and only a Canuck fan can argue, that these are two of the hardest working two-way players on the team since they arrived, and they are among the elite two-way players in the game. As 3rd/4th liners, they cut their teeth by showcasing their relentless checking ability. They consistently out-battled players night in and night out to gain control of the puck, resulting in many, many penalties drawn out of sheer determination. Several years pass and their respective skills caught up with them as they inched up the depth chart.

Today, their work ethic speaks for themselves, and they deserve to be where they are among the leagues best two-way players. They've never strayed from their roots, as evident from being front line penalty killers and top six shut-down players. Teams hate playing against them because they give you absolutely no space, players hate them because they yap and chirp and stick and whack. They play to the edge to gain an advantage, and they've had nothing but success as a result.

But when you sprinkle in the head-snaps, dives, bites and pulls, that is all anyone else sees, and that is all anyone else will give them credit for.

Players involved aside, you have to call that penalty because the player had his back turned to the checker and was several feet from the boards. Its a dangerous play to even lean on a player, let alone body check him. It was the right call.
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Ballard might be small but he can skate and pass a lot better than Sulzer. If money is not a factor, you can argue all you want but I am sure the other 29 GMs would take Ballard over Sulzer any time any day.
So, in short, AV is an idiot for not dressing Ballard? Even though we are what, the best team in the NHL?
Are you weakly trying to imply that AV is perfect?
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

wienerdog wrote: This is a classic example of bitching about something that "cost the game" when in reality, they had plenty of chances to put it away.
Nothing wrong with putting doubt in the officials minds though. It may pay off at some other time. Every team saw that the penalty calls disappeared in the SCF when playing Vancouver, might has well get a head start on petitioning.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Are you weakly trying to imply that AV is perfect?
Well dhacling-ons, the record shows that whatever AV is doing he seems to be doing the right thing with this club, I mean shi-ite, how can argue his game time line-up decision making? It's picture perfect wouldn't ya say? Baltard sucks, you know it, we know it, the world knows it. The proof is in the pudding dha-poo-pusher.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

RoyalDude wrote:
Baltard sucks, you know it, we know it, the world knows it. The proof is in the pudding dha-poo-pusher.
He's still better than Alberts, Sulzer and little AV (Rome) . Is he a 4.2 million per year player.........? Absolutely not, but for whatever reason he is being sandbagged by the coaching staff here and is held to a different standard than the rest of the defence corps. The way AV and co are fucking with this guy is pretty piss poor asset management to say the least.

Don't get me wrong I THINK Ballard is a bad fit for this team and I'd like to see him dealt. That said anyone who says he is getting a fair shake from AV is a liar.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
dhabums
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dhabums »

RoyalDude wrote: Well dhacling-ons, the record shows that whatever AV is doing he seems to be doing the right thing with this club, I mean shi-ite, how can argue his game time line-up decision making? It's picture perfect wouldn't ya say? Baltard sucks, you know it, we know it, the world knows it. The proof is in the pudding dha-poo-pusher.
I wouldn't say it's picture perfect, no.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

He's still better than Alberts, Sulzer and little AV (Rome) . Is he a 4.2 million per year player.........? Absolutely not, but for whatever reason he is being sandbagged by the coaching staff here and is held to a different standard than the rest of the defence corps. The way AV and co are fucking with this guy is pretty piss poor asset management to say the least.

Don't get me wrong I THINK Ballard is a bad fit for this team and I'd like to see him dealt. That said anyone who says he is getting a fair shake from AV is a liar.
Agree 100%, AV didn't learn from last season about fucking with players minds that HE does not like (for what ever reason) I was hoping MG would step in once in a while and speak to AV about the good of the team and not his ego but it does look like it will not happen and we will see what occurs in the playoffs this season.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dhabums wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Well dhacling-ons, the record shows that whatever AV is doing he seems to be doing the right thing with this club, I mean shi-ite, how can argue his game time line-up decision making? It's picture perfect wouldn't ya say? Baltard sucks, you know it, we know it, the world knows it. The proof is in the pudding dha-poo-pusher.
I wouldn't say it's picture perfect, no.
Not surprising, you are one of the reputable lesser intelligent hockey minds around here filling these boards with uninteresting drivel on a consistent basis.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

RoyalDude wrote:
Not surprising, you are one of the reputable lesser intelligent hockey minds around here filling these boards with uninteresting drivel on a consistent basis.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why you don't tell him what you REALLY think about him?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why you don't tell him what you REALLY think about him?
as my old grandma used to say, 'If you cant play nice
don't take someone's eye out instead......words to live by
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

Right now AV is coaching the top team in the NHL. He has to be doing something right. I never understood the Ballard trade as I liked Grabs just fine. We do need some help on the back end but tanev is waiting. Interesting year and I am proud of this team. They show incredible resilience and guts. Sulzer has impressed me more than most of you apparently. He seems like a responsible D who will play to the system. What coach does not like that?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

damonberryman wrote:Right now AV is coaching the top team in the NHL. He has to be doing something right. I never understood the Ballard trade as I liked Grabs just fine. We do need some help on the back end but tanev is waiting. Interesting year and I am proud of this team. They show incredible resilience and guts. Sulzer has impressed me more than most of you apparently. He seems like a responsible D who will play to the system. What coach does not like that?
The Ballard trade was bad from the momment it was announced. Lets chalk it up as a rookie GM mistake on Gillis' part. There is a bit of a protectionism around here regarding some of the posters and their feelings for Ballard, they are still holding out hope that he will become the Brian Leetch-lite like they all had drooled about the momment the trade was made. Regarding Ballard, I get lambasted around these boards from the exact same peeps the same way I did when I was calling out Steve Bernier as being a complete and total farce, ie Stonehands, zero hockey intelligence Bernier. Where is he now? This isn't about Grabner, I could care less about him now, even though he got the game winner last night and an empty netter giving him 13 goals on the year. I just think it's best for all parties that Ballard finds a new home. He is not a fit here.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

damonberryman wrote:Right now AV is coaching the top team in the NHL. He has to be doing something right. I never understood the Ballard trade as I liked Grabs just fine. ?
It pretty easy to understand the Ballard trade if you ignore any personal like or dislike for the players involved.

We needed defensive depth (hell we still need it) and Gillis' MO is to get well rounded players that with a little TLC can either regain their game or thrive in Vancouver. He turfed a player that wasn't going anywhere in Bernier and a prospect that, dispite his offensive flair, didn't look to fit the mold of the team.

I liked Grabner as well but can anyone honestly say they could see him picking up his game and helping this team in a more physical tighter checking playoff series?

Ballard hasn't been what I or likely Gillis thought he would be but I can see why he made that deal. I still like Ballard to a certain extent but not at his current salary, so if salary needs to go the other way in a trade to better the team Ballard is the man to go.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
damonberryman wrote:Right now AV is coaching the top team in the NHL. He has to be doing something right. I never understood the Ballard trade as I liked Grabs just fine. ?
It pretty easy to understand the Ballard trade if you ignore any personal like or dislike for the players involved.

We needed defensive depth (hell we still need it) and Gillis' MO is to get well rounded players that with a little TLC can either regain their game or thrive in Vancouver. He turfed a player that wasn't going anywhere in Bernier and a prospect that, dispite his offensive flair, didn't look to fit the mold of the team.

I liked Grabner as well but can anyone honestly say they could see him picking up his game and helping this team in a more physical tighter checking playoff series?

Ballard hasn't been what I or likely Gillis thought he would be but I can see why he made that deal. I still like Ballard to a certain extent but not at his current salary, so if salary needs to go the other way in a trade to better the team Ballard is the man to go.
Good post, Aaron. I agree.